Fitzroy v. Old Brighton

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Big game for the Roys tomorrow. I have not received an email from the club detailing the ins and outs. The lunch has been cancelled and so I can have a Karen special.

Old Brighton have not lost a game and have an enoromous percentage.

I reckon another lost is on the cards but????

Score rundown from today, starting with the reserves...

FULL TIME

Fitzroy 17-6-108
Old Brighton 9-9-63

2O71nk.gif

And quarter by quarter from the main game...

QUARTER TIME

Fitzroy 2-2-14
Old Brighton 2-6-18

HALF TIME

Fitzroy 2-8-20
Old Brighton 3-8-26

THREE QUARTER TIME

Fitzroy 4-11-35
Old Brighton 4-13-37

FULL TIME

Fitzroy 4-16-40
Old Brighton 6-15-51

Clearly a much-improved effort from the playing group today, though it looks like we ran out of gas a bit towards the end. If we maintain this level of performance from now on, I'm confident we'll be able to consolidate our position well enough this year :thumbsu:

At quarter line on Saturday, with the score 2 2 to 2 6 Pickers told the players that Old Brighton were shocked. Old Brighton had come to the BSO, expecting an easy win, but the disease “Fitzroyitis” has broken out again.

Now diseases progress in different ways. Some diseases are designated as being “site specific, random burst.” Multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and gum disease are examples and so were our efforts in the first two matches. A player would win a single contest; we would play with cohesion for a few minutes; we would match the opposition for a quarter. These outbreaks were rare and isolated but the outbreak of Fitzroyitis was not on Saturday.

We were all over them. Like rampant dental caries or a very bad case of dermatitis we everywhere, hard at the ball, harassing, throwing our bodies in with gay abandon. Never out marked or pushed out of the way, the level of effort could not be faulted but unfortunately dental caries and dermatitis are not fatal diseases. We could not put them away but I reckon Fitzroyitis is back, so visiting teams will enjoy going to the dentist more than a visit to the BSO.

I finished work very early so I got to the ground just before the Twos ran out. I got the job of time keeping with Andrew Mullett who is the heart and soul of Old Brighton. He carries a bag that has everything in it. Players were incessantly coming up and saying “got a pair of shorts size XYZ.” “Left my socks at home got a ...” All clubs need an Andrew and Old Brighton have a fine example of the species. I wonder if he has some mouth guards in the bag.

We had a stack of players out, Parko, Rory, Roscoe Josh and Matty K. It looked grim early on as we struggled to get the ball but we were hard at it. Mick Lee was in the ruck, which allowed Daniel Bissetto to go down back. He and Gary McCarthy (BOG for me) made the Old Brighton forward line a painful place to be. Imagine what could have happened if Parko played. Dan took mark of the year in the first quarter
We dominated the first half of the second quarter and here is where we lost the game. Old Brighton could not get the ball past the centre, were constantly in attack, but we butchered the ball up forward. Racker, Polly, Jules and Ches all missed very easy shots at goal and, at this level, misses like that will come back to hurt you. Six straight points to one goal two in this quarter and we were one goal down at half time with Ablett on the bench for the rest of the day.

The Tarneet Birthday Boy remarked that it was our best goalless quarter for the year!!!!

Old Brighton lifted in the third quarter but our defence did not crack. It was Old Brighton’s turn to attack and not score. Mick Lee, playing his best senior game, then crashed a pack and took a towering mark against the run of play. We moved the ball forward fluently; Brownie on the end of it. They were two points up at three quarter time but we had the scoring end.

Once again we dominated the first half of the quarter but we could not put them away. The forward line has been somewhat less than lethal this year. Lee was a towering influence around the ground, taking pack marks, his disposal??? I thought our rovers should have been around him to take the hand off and bang it forward. Rovers should be hungry and always on the lookout for cheap kicks. Ours are too virtuous for me. One of our rovers should be nick named “cheap kick” another “don’t touch him” and the last should be “hungry.”
We could have/ should have won. I cracked it after the game, went straight home and drank too much. However I reckon our season now feels better than my head. I reckon we are in with a show this season if we can get a functioning forward line.
Go the Roys

Great summation as always Phil. Indeed Saturday was a tough loss. Nevertheless with the perspective of where we have come from, our realistic expectations for 2013 and the absence of key players, a lot of pride and encouragement can be taken from our performance against an undefeated team. We matched it with OB for four quarters, tackled ourselves into the ground and looked more secure in defence. If our self-belief can continue to grow there’s no reason why we can’t be competitive in key upcoming matches which will determine regulation/promotion.

"Tackled ourselves into the ground". That was the key to the match. Roysforever, write more!!!!

I'm afraid I don't have the esteemed insight into the game you possess to produce a comprehensive report of the match. Perhaps I should walk more laps of the ground and absorb the contest from a different perspective like your good self.

By the way D-Phil suppose there was a boundary throw-in in our attacking pocket. In such a setup where would you suggest Polly stand?

This might be an early contender for post of the year. Sadly the number of people who get the joke might be a little low.
Front and Centre Polly, Front and Centre!!!!
Happy Birthday for Saturday "Carn the Roys"!! We didn't know it was your day of birth!!
Derrinalphil, may the ink you write on your records come from the mighty Roys pen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back