Flying High - 25th anniversary book by Gary Stocks

Remove this Banner Ad

Innovatively named. I'm sure the prose within will be such as scintillating.

Back when I was still living in WA I remember getting a weekly newspaper devoted to WA footy. I can't remember what is was called, but I think I recall Gary Stocks being a regular writer. Or was it Greg Baum?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ordered the book as soon as I heard about it.

I always wanted a copy of 'Soaring' but I was about 12 when it came out so had no disposable income :(

Would love a truly unbiased, hard-hitting book though, one that delves into the drug stuff, the Ken Judge years, 2010 as well as the awesome things like the premierships, Brownlows and Troy Wilson.

Can you still get 'Soaring'? Is there anywhere you can still buy one? Im guessing there isnt.

Pre-ordered 'Flying High'. Should be a good read :thumbsu:

Seems like the book has been delayed. I previously recall it being available late November. Hopefully its available before Christmas.

Yeh there was an email a while back saying release date was pushed back to early December

Seems like the book has been delayed. I previously recall it being available late November. Hopefully its available before Christmas.

I didn't get an email but yes I do recall them saying it would be out around late November now they say December, it's all good though, they are adding in this years games after all

Hopefully my book is signed by Worsfold :D

I emailed the club about that. Got this reply:

[FONT=&quot]...we sold through the first 100 copies within the first two hours on the 5th of August. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I ordered mine on the 6th of August :(

But there will be an official book launch (the date has yet to be confirmed - "Early December") and Woosha will be there so you can get it signed then. I know I will :D:thumbsu:

I emailed the club about that. Got this reply:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I ordered mine on the 6th of August :(

But there will be an official book launch (the date has yet to be confirmed - "Early December") and Woosha will be there so you can get it signed then. I know I will :D:thumbsu:

Cool, yeah I think I ordered mine after that too. Hopefully he stays there signing for a bit.

Just checked my email receipt.

1219am 5th of August.

Have been predicting it will be signed as I'm sure I was just put up when I clicked purchase

Here's what I'm hoping for. Probably won't get it, but oh well.

Part 1 - A brief overview of the state of football in WA and Victoria during the 80s, and how the arguments for and against the Eagles to be introduced developed. Hopefully with interviews with the relevant people on both sides of the debate.

Part 2 - The trials and tribulations of our inception. The Fitzroy bribe, the close votes, the rush to bring everything together, the restrictions on our playing list etc. etc. etc. Again, full of interviews.

Part 3 - The Malthouse Era

Part 4 - The end of an era and the Ken Judge years

Part 5a - The prodigal son returns. Worsfold 2002 - 2006

Part 5b - The wheels fall off. Worsfold 2007-2010. I really, really want some hard hitting, behind the scenes stuff in this section, Cousins, Gardiner all that stuff, not a weak white wash.

Part 6 - Another relatively brief section on 2011's revival and an eye to the future.

Apppendices - All the cool nerdy stuff, all the players, results, best ever 22 etc. etc. etc.

I hope it's good, I'm sure I'll receive a copy (or 2) over Christmas.

Most of what Stocks writes is tedious puff pieces though, so hopefully it's not a rose-coloured glasses revisionist version of the club's last 25 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back