FLYING

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're missing the point. A restaurant is an experience, it's the food, service and atmosphere. A flight is getting you to a destination. I'd be devastated if a fancy dinner was ruined, I'd get over a child annoying me on a flight the minute I landed.

I'm the opposite. I can handle kids in a restaurant running around, making noise and enjoying themselves without a care. You'd hope though, a parent would walk them outside (if over 2yo) and they are carrying on like a pork chop until they calm down. I guess eating out most nights means a restaurant is just food rather than experience, so it doesn't bother me what others are doing.

In cattle class again I happy for kids running amok but again you'd hope a parent does their best to keep the tantrums to a minimum. However if I'm flying business and going straight to a meeting after a long haul, I expect to be able to rest for the $5k-$10k I've forked out. For business the destination is often just a thing measured in hours and often just one of ten flights in a fortnight.

funny that this article just came up

https://theconversation.com/with-ap...amilies-and-their-noisy-children-fit-in-88244

sure you get parents that literally do not care when they are out in public what their kids do but a little bit of understanding from others that kids are kids and you cannot control everything they do all the time goes a long way

The neighbour called out … ‘Pick up your baby!’ … I was so upset because we are trying our best and we were exhausted ourselves … The neighbour banged on the ceiling really loudly … I felt it on my feet, like it was shaking … That just kind of added to my stress … When I got back into bed after the shrieking finished and he [the baby] went back to sleep, and the stomping on the roof finished … I just said, ‘I don’t know if I can do that again’ … knowing that, you know they’re hearing it all of course, and we felt terrible.

I've never lived in an apartment building that was adequately sound proofed but I lived in older style low rise ones and you could hear anyone moving about on the floor above you.

When he the neighbour first started complaining, Harry [son] was crawling. Imagine trying to teach a crawler that they are not allowed to crawl through the house … You know, he the neighbour wanted the impossible and got angry with us when we couldn’t deliver that for him, with no kind of seeming effort to understand where we were coming from …

I'm glad we aren't in an apartment with our kid as that is the kind of hassle I don't need, there are always neighbors that think everyone should be silent from 7pm-8am because that is what I want and they tend to go out of their way to try and make sure everyone else complies.

So next time you are giving the death stare to some parents who have their kids with them in public maybe just give them a break

I am probably in the minority, but I enjoy flying.

I think that how you get to your destination is just as important as the destination itself.

The thought of this giant pressurised aluminium tube being propelled by the explosions of dead dinosaurs at 1000km/h higher than Mount Everest while watching a Pixar movie and sipping champagne with 500 other people never fails to amaze me. And I can experience all this nowadays on a flight halfway around the world for less than what I get paid in a fortnight.

If I am lucky enough to be on an Emirates A380 from Perth, I never fail to enjoy the camera views from the front of the plane as it reverses from the gate, taxis to the runway then takes off into the vast blackness of the Indian Ocean. The side view of the Burj Dubai as we touch down the next morning, then the bottom view as we fly again over the sprawling metropolis of Cairo, over the sunny Mediterranean and having final approach over the Vatican and Colosseum.

I think we are taking a lot of things for granted nowadays, and this applies especially to modern air travel. I've already booked another flight to Europe this April and flying there excites me just as much as getting there. I know I sound like an Emirates spokesperson but in all honesty I think it is one of the pinnacles of human achievement.

It's a weak analogy, though. Saying flying is just about getting to a destination is like saying that going to a fancy restaurant is just about getting some nutrients into your body.

If you're in economy and stuck near a crying baby then bad luck. If you're economy and someone is letting their kids kick your chair, scream etc. then that's annoying. If you've booked business/first class seats there's an expectation that you won't have your flight interrupted by kids etc. It's an experience. Space, quiet, nice food and wine etc. People don't pay multiples of the price of economy for no reason.
Perhaps they shouldn't sell kids tickets in business class then.

I am probably in the minority, but I enjoy flying.

I think that how you get to your destination is just as important as the destination itself.

The thought of this giant pressurised aluminium tube being propelled by the explosions of dead dinosaurs at 1000km/h higher than Mount Everest while watching a Pixar movie and sipping champagne with 500 other people never fails to amaze me. And I can experience all this nowadays on a flight halfway around the world for less than what I get paid in a fortnight.

If I am lucky enough to be on an Emirates A380 from Perth, I never fail to enjoy the camera views from the front of the plane as it reverses from the gate, taxis to the runway then takes off into the vast blackness of the Indian Ocean. The side view of the Burj Dubai as we touch down the next morning, then the bottom view as we fly again over the sprawling metropolis of Cairo, over the sunny Mediterranean and having final approach over the Vatican and Colosseum.

I think we are taking a lot of things for granted nowadays, and this applies especially to modern air travel. I've already booked another flight to Europe this April and flying there excites me just as much as getting there. I know I sound like an Emirates spokesperson but in all honesty I think it is one of the pinnacles of human achievement.

^found the infrequent flyer :p

How is Scoot? For $700 for Europe return or whatever crazy it is I'd do it.
A lot of Scoot's international flights from Australia are ex-Tiger. They've kinda done a weird merger thingo with international flights. Tiger's been quite good lately, one of the better on-time performers and low cancellations (especially compared to Jetstar). And Scoot's own flights are quite decent. Everyone I know that's used it has said it's definitely worth the money, just be warned you get pretty much nothing but a seat with your $$.

Also kids seats are ages 2-11. Big difference between a 2 year old and an 11 year old.
What are you talking about?

Every business class flight I've been on has come with noise-cancelling headphones. Put them on ffs and mind your own business. The extra money is for the extra room, and the extra service. You're still stuck in a confined metal tube in the air. It's not like the parents have anywhere else to take their kids. It's not like some rich person is going to go fly cattle class just because they need to take their kids somewhere. Kids cry on flights because they lack the ability to regulate air pressure in their sinuses. There's tricks to fix it for them, but it doesn't always work. So, I'm so sorry that kids that are in pain are crying, and possibly annoying someone that's not you, because you even said you don't fly business.

:D

In all seriousness, though, I have flown at least twice a year for the past decade and since I'm in Perth all flights are long haul.

I also rarely fly budget airlines.

Nah, I agree with you in theory. Air travel is an outstanding achievement of engineering. In practise though, I can't really marvel at the feats of mankind when some morbidly obese whale is reclining her seat two inches in front of my face, the large person behind me keeps digging their knees into the back of my seat everytime they shift position, and the flight attendants are ignoring my 'please come here' light thats been on for five minutes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about?

Every business class flight I've been on has come with noise-cancelling headphones. Put them on ffs and mind your own business. The extra money is for the extra room, and the extra service. You're still stuck in a confined metal tube in the air. It's not like the parents have anywhere else to take their kids. It's not like some rich person is going to go fly cattle class just because they need to take their kids somewhere. Kids cry on flights because they lack the ability to regulate air pressure in their sinuses. There's tricks to fix it for them, but it doesn't always work. So, I'm so sorry that kids that are in pain are crying, and possibly annoying someone that's not you, because you even said you don't fly business.
You've convinced me, Alli. Business class it is!

What could possibly go wrong whilst flying near the speed of sound at 40,000 feet above the ground whilst strapped into a giant steel cage?

Actually I've got no real drama's with flying. But I do like trotting out the above line (or something to similar affect) if I'm flying with mates who I know aren't good on planes.

As for the OP chances are you didn't even know you click on May. Or perhaps thought you were scrolling down the page using the down key but unaware you were actually scrolling down the month drop down. Impossible to know.

There is potentially a bug in their system but it's going to affect loads of people. If Tiger had a bug which was sending people on flights in the wrong month it would be in the press for sure.

Working in web and software dev you get clients and/or their users calling up all the time saying they definitely click on this, but something else came in the email.... Check the log files. They clicked on what's in the email.

There's a great acronym in IT. PICNIC.

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer

As for the OP chances are you didn't even know you click on May. Or perhaps thought you were scrolling down the page using the down key but unaware you were actually scrolling down the month drop down. Impossible to know.

There is potentially a bug in their system but it's going to affect loads of people. If Tiger had a bug which was sending people on flights in the wrong month it would be in the press for sure.

Working in web and software dev you get clients and/or their users calling up all the time saying they definitely click on this, but something else came in the email.... Check the log files. They clicked on what's in the email.

There's a great acronym in IT. PICNIC.

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer
We used to call it a communication issue between the chair and keyboard.

I would glare at you so hard while you weren't looking
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how much better I am than the plebs in economy.

(Jks I'm not a snob. I'm in economy most the time because I'm poor)

What could possibly go wrong whilst flying near the speed of sound at 40,000 feet above the ground whilst strapped into a giant steel cage?

Actually I've got no real drama's with flying. But I do like trotting out the above line (or something to similar affect) if I'm flying with mates who I know aren't good on planes.
I get all the juicy stories because I work in aviation, and it's a lot of fun telling them to scare people before they fly.

I get all the juicy stories because I work in aviation, and it's a lot of fun telling them to scare people before they fly.

Joke's on you, I like to watch Air Crash Investigations and Seconds To Disaster the night before I fly. :D

Who else checks the flight path thing, waits for time to pass then checks it again expecting to be somewhere over India only to find you're not even outside Australian coastal waters?

I do, I like also tracking altitude, outside temperature, real speed and ground speed etc.

Australia is f***ing vast. You can be halfway to Asia and still be flying over Australian airspace.

Who else checks the flight path thing, waits for time to pass then checks it again expecting to be somewhere over India only to find you're not even outside Australian coastal waters?

Long haul flights drag on the further into them you get

Check flight path "5 hours 45 minutes to destination"

Hmmm OK better kill some time. Have a nap. Read a book. Flick through the magazine. Have something to eat.

Ok it's been a while, surely there can't be that long left.

Check flight path "5 hours 12 minutes to destination"

godd ******* dammit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back