Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows/Power should still play a pre season showdown game there each year.
Firstly the Crows/Power don't want pre-season Showdowns because it dilutes the brand of the actual Showdowns.
Secondly playing a game at AAMI doesn't give support and money to SANFL or regional clubs through sausage sizzles etc and the AFL putting money into upgrading the turf/goalposts/etc. It's kind of pointless, especially as the AFL wants to distance itself from the venue.

From the Crows Twitter account, seats behind the Southern End removed.
a55680d1fde1c462c1832bdd6bd82f10.jpg

As Dad remembered it in the 1970's he told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Crows Twitter account, seats behind the Southern End removed.
a55680d1fde1c462c1832bdd6bd82f10.jpg

As Dad remembered it in the 1970's he told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im guessing all the seats in the stadium are being removed? with probably just the old grand stands seats being left there and a few bays around where the crows walk out to train (for fans that watch training)?

Does anyone actually know whats happening to the ground?
Its coming up to the 4th year without footy there.. yes the crows train there, under 18 championships are played there and the umpies train there.
Does anyone know when the first part of the demolishing over certain stands is happening? when the 4 big light towers are being removed? scoreboard and replay screens being removed?

I live across the road from footy park and ive noticed then past 12 months its become a home to more and more pigeons lol

I think the demolition process is starting with the seats the first to go. Light towers will follow, the down will come the stadium - bit, by bit.

Having the Crows train there will probably complicate the demo as they will need to keep the actual oval surface intact

The stadium component is years away from being demolished. In 2013 I wrote a post about it and linked the following large 17 MB document which explains the development and time frames.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sturt-plead-for-afl-help.990450/page-10#post-27270152

SANFL Stadium Investigations and Policy Framework, Connor Holmes, June 2012

2. Page 106 (pdf doc page) has a map breaking the site up to 20 components/precincts and gives their size in sq metres. Above the diagram it says

It is expected that the site will comprise approximately 1,600 medium- to high-density dwellings and approximately
15,000 square metres of residential and commercial spaces across twenty (20) precincts.Construction will be staged and is expected to run from east to west (refer to Figure 3 below), though some precincts may be constructed out of sequence if there is sufficient demand. The construction period is expected to commence in 2014 and continue for between fifteen (15) and twenty (20) years. The current concept staging plan is shown in (see also Appendix B).

3. Appendix C on pages 132 to 136 sets out when the 20 precincts will be developed and then available for occupancy for residential, retail and commercial use. Construction is between 2014 and 2029 and completion on various stages is between 2016 and 2031.
And the actual stadium structure wont have to be touched until maybe precinct 10 and precinct 11 is developed. That happens in 2022 and 2023 respectively. The development of precinct 14 will require a big chunk of the members stand to be pulled down and that starts in 2025. [Edit the northern stand and area around to the eastern wing is precinct 19 and that starts in 2028]

This state government page has plenty of other links about the redevelopment.
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/planni...er/west-lakes-aami-stadium-precinct-amendment

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know whats happening to the ground?
Its coming up to the 4th year without footy there.. yes the crows train there, under 18 championships are played there and the umpies train there.
Does anyone know when the first part of the demolishing over certain stands is happening? when the 4 big light towers are being removed? scoreboard and replay screens being removed?

I live across the road from footy park and ive noticed then past 12 months its become a home to more and more pigeons lol
SANFL Umpires and SA-based AFL Umpires were looking for a new home for 2017, I heard during the year. Haven't heard anything further than that though.

Could they move back to Aldi Arena?
Thebarton?
Half the reason they moved back to AAMI was because 1 oval is not big enough for 100 or so umpires.
Goal umpires need the goal posts, which are right on the edge of the "track" for the other umpires to run.

Basheer Reserve was great with its 1.5 ovals until the Crows added those weird extra goalposts to the set near the stadium. Lots of space and changeroom facilities. Given it was all three disciplines of umpires from U16/18 to AFL there needs to be a fair lot of space.
I'll try and ask around where they're headed to next year, if anyone knows yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The priblem for the umpires now is there is only the main stadium as there are apartments almost right up to the Crows training facility.

Maybe theybcould train on the parklands ovals in the city
Plenty of space and ovals around the cbd

The priblem for the umpires now is there is only the main stadium as there are apartments almost right up to the Crows training facility.

Maybe theybcould train on the parklands ovals in the city
Plenty of space and ovals around the cbd
But not rooms for video analysis of your game, or coaching lectures etc.
Basically the umps are a giant footy club in that sense.
Parklands is often used for optional summer training when it's just running till you drop (in my case at least!) but once it gets to proper pre-season (end of Jan) further facilities are required. That was the benefit of Thebby oval but when the goalies had to stop their training drills at every call of "TRAAAACKK!" from the others who were running yet another lap going behind the goalposts, it got a bit tedious haha.

Adelaide should already be building a new training facility in the City, if there's space

Adelaide should already be building a new training facility in the City, if there's space
A quick google search would show this pops its its head up one a year or so but between the parklands being so sacred we can't even put up a permanent grandstand, and the Crows having just done up their facilities at West Lakes in the relatively-recent past, it's not going to happen.

Why? They already have a great facility at Football Park.
Only need to look around the place. Its an eyesore. If the stadium (main eyesore) was completely removed then it would be OK. Still will be in a terrible location.

Only need to look around the place. Its an eyesore. If the stadium (main eyesore) was completely removed then it would be OK. Still will be in a terrible location.

Does that really matter though? Its a training and administration base. Who cares where it is or what it looks like?

The only advantage to having a base in the city is that it may be able to provide a facility close to Adelaide Oval for post-match functions. In terms of where the office staff go to do their work and the players go to train each day, I don't think it really matters that much.

You do realise it's a training facility. Who cares how it looks and to an extent where it is. West Lakes is hardly the end of the earth.

Also, the current Crows facilities are only a few years old, and the admin offices only just got upgraded about 6 weeks ago. There is zero need to move at the moment (and ZOMG Football Park = ugly is not a valid reason).

Those big light towers being up is still surprising. I would have thought they would have been taken down by now. going to be sad to see them go. never forget the sight driving down the boulevard with the family in the early 90s on the way to a game as a kid seeing those big lights going to a crows game about to be ripped apart by Modra!

Those big light towers being up is still surprising. I would have thought they would have been taken down by now. going to be sad to see them go. never forget the sight driving down the boulevard with the family in the early 90s on the way to a game as a kid seeing those big lights going to a crows game about to be ripped apart by Modra!
Likely they'll stay, or be reduced in size somehow, for community/SANFL training on the ground in the evenings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back