Research Footballers who were public transport workers

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
I’ve been looking into the Tramways and Railways football leagues of the 20th century (both ran into the early 90’s) and have found mentions of a few players who also worked in Melbourne public transport. Can anybody add to the list? I’d like to create a list similar to the one Boyles Football Photos has for firefighters or policeman.

Two players who were definitely recruited to the league/association from the Tramways competition were Frank Richardson (Malvern Depot to Melbourne) and Jim Willis (tramway league team unknown but probably Coburg to Brunswick VFA to Carlton).

Danny Guinane of Richmond was a tram driver in 1940

dannyg_zps49c36c82.jpg

Additionally I've come across Peter McCormack from Collingwood working in the Met's marketing department in 1985:

mccormack_zps146bdcec.jpg

There’s some more information in this article but no additional list of senior players who also appeared in the competition. If anybody's got any information - especially on the Tramway competition - that would be much appreciated. According to the article linked above it was affiliated to the VFL in the 1940's but mentions of it in the papers die out after the 1950's.

I’ve been looking into the Tramways and Railways football leagues of the 20th century (both ran into the early 90’s) and have found mentions of a few players who also worked in Melbourne public transport. Can anybody add to the list? I’d like to create a list similar to the one Boyles Football Photos has for firefighters or policeman.
<snip>
There’s some more information in this article but no additional list of senior players who also appeared in the competition. If anybody's got any information - especially on the Tramway competition - that would be much appreciated. According to the article linked above it was affiliated to the VFL in the 1940's but mentions of it in the papers die out after the 1950's.

There are quite a few mentioned in this article about players at the Railway football carnival in 1914:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7227404

"Former Fitzioy star, Tom Williams, has been selected to captain the Melbourne Tramways' interstate football team,"
STATE TRAMWAYS TEAM CHOSEN. (1950, August 15). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 12. Retrieved August 14, 2014, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22906543

"Victoria will field a strong side drawn from the six teams comprising the Melbourne Inter depot Tramways Football Association Among its players are several with Victorian League experience notably J Stelgenbergen and P Lee (Fitzroy) and R Davidson and J McElroy (Carlton)"
FOOTBALL. (1934, September 20). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), p. 13. Retrieved August 14, 2014, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17093780

I saw A. Callick as well...which is possibly Alf Callick (Fitz)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back