Footy in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Rules definately growing in Queensland.

Overtaking League, big call.

20 years the landscape will be interesting.
thats the aim, not to take over Rugby league as the number 1 sport, But for the Aussie Rules sport to have a following or coverage in the area.

Still remember the Gabba, with a then capacity of 37,500 seats, contantly selling out from 1999-2004

A Kayo release a few years back confirmed that the average AFL watches about the same amount as the average NRL fan on the platform (5 hours from memory)

The VPM numbers (currently just foxtel streaming but not Kayo) also show how dumb comparing and adding averages is

View attachment 1777357

So more people (99K) watched more of the Carlton Port game but it ends up 4th on average. Roughly 20% more view minutes and ends up with 20% lower average.

Just dumb to take the average and add it together as a comparison.

Using that as an example, not only did the AFL game have more viewers, they watched for longer.

Hurr durr the NRL has a bigger audience

Using that as an example, not only did the AFL game have more viewers, they watched for longer.

Hurr durr the NRL has a bigger audience

Yep

So last night there were 80K average watching the Lions in Brisbane and 82K average watching the NRL.

In reality the AFL audience would have been comfortably bigger, it is just that all the people watching some fraction of the AFL game would be reflected in a smaller number in that average than the people watching the NRL game.

Was just listening to an interview with Tony Sheppard from the giants. He said he was at a function yesterday with Peter Vlandy's and Peter told him the reason they put another team in QLD was because they were worried about the AFL there. We probably knew this already, but good to hear it came straight from the horse's mouth.

So for a longer game to have a slightly lower average means that more people have watched more of a game but once you divide it by the length of the game you get a lower average for the AFL than the NRL.

Some people clearly can't get their head around this though

Hardly anyones fault when 'but, but, but NRL beats AFL in tv ratings' is shoved down everyones throat.

Gary Lyon has been harping on this week about how Johno Brown is living back in Queensland and keeps saying how big footy has gotten there (I think brown lives on the gc).

In gaz's interview with Jarrod witts yesterday, he asked this question and witts said 'yeah in the 7 years I have been here it has grown heaps, you see red balls everywhere now, in the parks, on the beaches' etc.

It’s like that with league and union as well.
Football isn’t a culture for Queenslanders like it is with everyone down in Vic, they live and breathe it
Being a Victorian that now has lived on the GC as a casual teacher across all the public schools here, AFL has a huge presence here now.

This culture comment though…you have no idea. Footy is everything in Victoria.

I’ve lived in all states along the east coast. Nothing like it. It’s every conversation on a Monday morning.

HairyO remember a few years ago, I said that I would be happy for the AFL to spend $10 million a year on grass roots footy to produce 3-5 AFL draftees from queensland every season? I stand by that lol

Sure. Expand it and spend $100m per year for a team !!

I mean its only money.

BTW, $10m in a football state probably gets 30 to 50 draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a Victorian that now has lived on the GC as a casual teacher across all the public schools here, AFL has a huge presence here now.

This culture comment though…you have no idea. Footy is everything in Victoria.

I’ve lived in all states along the east coast. Nothing like it. It’s every conversation on a Monday morning.
Isn’t that what I said?
What do I have no idea about?

To give everyone a bit of an idea of what's going on in Queensland right now, here's a breakdown of the high end talent coming through:

2023 - Jed Walter (U18 AA), Ethan Read (U18 AA), Jake Rogers (U18 AA)
2024 - Leonardo Lombard ('22 U16 AA), Caleb Nancarrow ('22 U16 AA)
2025 - Beau Addinsall (U16 AA), Jai Murray (U16 AA), Zeke Uwland (U16 AA), Dylan Patterson (U16 AA), Kalani White (U16 AA), Harrison Bridge (U16 AA), Daniel Annable (U16 AA)
2026 - Jackson Jarvis (U15 AA), Cooper Hodge (U15 AA)
2027 - Taj Murray (U15 AA)
You left Archie Hill off the 2026 list. Best Qld kid by a fair margin in that age group.

Back-to-back years in which Queensland teams qualify for the VFL GF with Southport making it last year and the Suns this year. We've also got the Lions hosting a home prelim next week and they are rightly the favourites to qualify for their first AFL GF since 2004. It really could be a massive fortnight for Queensland footy if the Suns claim Queensland's first ever VFL flag and the Lions claim their first AFL premiership in 20 years. Not to mention the Allies historic win U18 national championships win this year that was led mostly by Queenslanders.

Hard to ignore the massive inroads being made in Queensland at the moment and I didn't even mention Hardwick coming into the fold.

Back-to-back years in which Queensland teams qualify for the VFL GF with Southport making it last year and the Suns this year. We've also got the Lions hosting a home prelim next week and they are rightly the favourites to qualify for their first AFL GF since 2004. It really could be a massive fortnight for Queensland footy if the Suns claim Queensland's first ever VFL flag and the Lions claim their first AFL premiership in 20 years. Not to mention the Allies historic win U18 national championships win this year that was led mostly by Queenslanders.

Hard to ignore the massive inroads being made in Queensland at the moment and I didn't even mention Hardwick coming into the fold.
Forgot to mention both Queensland women's teams are playing well too. Both inside the top 5 currently. Queensland really firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Was just listening to an interview with Tony Sheppard from the giants. He said he was at a function yesterday with Peter Vlandy's and Peter told him the reason they put another team in QLD was because they were worried about the AFL there. We probably knew this already, but good to hear it came straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm surprised that egomaniac could bring himself to admit that.

For people who the think the NRL is "dying"

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

I quite liked it.

And speaking cringe - do you consume any the AFL media? ******* hell it so cringe.

Nick Daicos is jesus christ and Darce just yelling and screaming the entire match even though one side is 20 goals down. Everyone is labelled a "superstar". Its embarrassing.
Agree with all that with my favourite being when BT mentions that Collingwood can still always come back even if they are 10 goals down in the final quarter against any non-Victorian club that they face :thumbsupv1:

Being a South Australian though for most my life, I’ve always been inclined in the Australian Football / Cricket culture by friends and family and by the time I knew what Rugby League was, it just wasn’t my type of sport (on & off field stereotyped by culture).

Don’t get me wrong though in saying the AFL media is absolute trash also and it’s so Vic-based 99%, like you would be silly to not think Brisbane are actually the favourites to win against Carlton on Saturday given the amount of Victorian nonsense that comes out of their mouths.

I quite liked it.

And speaking cringe - do you consume any the AFL media? ******* hell it so cringe.

Nick Daicos is jesus christ and Darce just yelling and screaming the entire match even though one side is 20 goals down. Everyone is labelled a "superstar". Its embarrassing.

What's a nz clip got to do with footy in Queensland? Strange post to say the least.

Queensland also has the advantage of having great weather in winter for footy and basically any outdoor sports. Warmer and drier (but seldom oppressively hot in the SE) than the traditional Aussie rules Southern states. Might seem minor but a factor in getting more kids and amateurs playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back