Footy Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just turned 16

62 kgs & 172 cm

Any suggestions on fitness/weights training?

jb your my man
im 16 174 and 58kg
where do you play
our preseason started three weeks ago for state champs next year
three times a week including core work, 3-5 1k sprints, skills
i do a beep test once a month to test where im at

Re: AFL Preseason Training

16 years old. 63kg and height of 176cm (I think).
Working on: legs and abdominals.

I live in the country, 5km south of the main town and for my pre-season, i am working on my legs mainly. To be honest and not stuck up;), my arm strength is absolute perfect at the moment. My chest and neck area is big also. I used to have a nice 6-pack back in year 6-7 when me and my mate did 200 every night for a couple of months. Those were the days.

Since footy has stopped, my gut has got slightly bigger and i can't really notice those abs there anymore. I mean it's good putting on weight but i prefer muscle > fat as my weight. I do hope to regain the abs again and i think i might get the AbKing Pro;) (I ain't paying though:p)

Coming back from a fractured femur that put me out of action for 20 months, i have been doing more and more bike riding and i am quite enjoying it. Soon my leg will be nice and normal again but it does come from hard work.

I have started a 20km bike ride that i will be doing every day, yes every day. In the back roads where the trees and mountain line guide your way through fitness and fun.
140km a week isn't too bad and it should improve my leg muscle plus my cardiac fitness.
This ride should be increasing to another 10 or so kilometers each week which should be good fun. I live in the perfect spot where it is quiet and the roads are long and straight, much ideal to exercise in.

Personally, i hate running. I only run if i play sport but i can't run alone. It's impossible. I can't get any enthusiasm out of it.

At home we have a treadmill, a cross-trainer, bench press and dumbbells. We did have an exercise bike but we didn't use it much so that is out in the shed now haha. Road bike does the same job;). What i have been doing lately is every day, shooting some hoops for an hour or two.
It is really worth it and 12 months ago i absolutely HATED basketball. Lost all passion for it. All good now and i helps with balance and movement i suppose.

Hoping to start a more thorough and exciting pre-season program soon... will be updated;)

jb your my man
im 16 174 and 58kg
where do you play
our preseason started three weeks ago for state champs next year
three times a week including core work, 3-5 1k sprints, skills
i do a beep test once a month to test where im at
Us three boys are pretty similiar haha!

I'm also planning on started my pre-season in the next couple of days but im not sure how to start it.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All i've been doing so far is going on 5km runs every second day and like the OP, i've also being doing some Ab ripper X thing one of my mates gave me.

187cm, 77kg midfielder, 17 years old. My aim is to improve endurance and speed in general really. Im also going to start hitting the gym early December and i've got no idea how to go about weights. Do i start big with weights with less reps or small with more reps? What parts of the body should i work on?
Where do I start....Nutrition is a good place to start, proper hydration,fuel for activity/carbs and plenty of whey protein for recovery, if your not concerned about gaining 2-3 kg try supplementing with creatine before your weight sessions ,check out http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/sports/australian_rules_football
Endurance and speed require different training tactics. Interval training is one good training technique for both, try sprinting 200m than jogging 200m for speed and increase it up to 400m for endurance. Find some stairs and run up and jog down. Hop on the cross trainer at gym press level 5 up and keeping your heart rate 150-170 sprint for 30 seconds and than take it easier for 60 seconds and than repeat for 20-40 minutes increasing your starting level every visit.

As far as the gym goes concentrate on building your core strength first before hitting heavy weights that means fitball exercises, a search on google should find you plenty of variation for dif. body parts. Any weights higher reps 12-15 with 3-5 sets for starters. Stick to compound exercises eg.bench press, seated shoulder press , lunges....avoid squats until you can comfortably squat and demonstrate correct form with a fitball.

19, 5'4, weigh a tick under 50 and play midfield. :eek:

Yeah been alternating with running and fartlek. Been running about 30min at just under 4.5min/km on average.

Pretty much looking to do what Kangas_Div is doing, 'cept small and a bit older! :p

With those measurements, have you ever thought about being a jockey?

As I mentioned above, don't over do it. Make sure you eat healthy and rest. Also if your running distances make sure you have a properly fitted pair of shoes. Groins, Knees, Ankles etc can all be effected by a shit pair of runners. They may set you back $150+ (And may not be a big brand) but they are worth the extra $$$.

cant stress tha enough...... ive got stuffed knees....and if i go for a run in any old shoes... i feel it really bad.... but if i go for a run in my $350 fitted shoes.... its much much better... :thumbsu:

My advice would be to alternate your aerobic training by adding bike riding and swimming to running. Especially swimming because while your getting a full body work out, your also concentrating on your breathing. If you have had previous leg injuries like stress fractures, torn muscles, OP etc, get into the water!!

Endurance and speed require different training tactics. Interval training is one good training technique for both, try sprinting 200m than jogging 200m for speed and increase it up to 400m for endurance. Find some stairs and run up and jog down. Hop on the cross trainer at gym press level 5 up and keeping your heart rate 150-170 sprint for 30 seconds and than take it easier for 60 seconds and than repeat for 20-40 minutes increasing your starting level every visit.
you're on the right track with your suggestions, but i disagree with your recommendation to increase special endurance distances to 400m. is this what you meant? 400m runs at > 85%? there is no benefit in this, IMO. 200m with jog recoveries is more than enough to work on anaerobic conditioning. to work on aerobic conditioning, then 1km intervals seems to be the standard in the AFL. of course, these intervals should be worked towards by doing continuous runs and fartleks for a few weeks first.

As far as the gym goes concentrate on building your core strength first before hitting heavy weights that means fitball exercises, a search on google should find you plenty of variation for dif. body parts. Any weights higher reps 12-15 with 3-5 sets for starters. Stick to compound exercises eg.bench press, seated shoulder press , lunges....avoid squats until you can comfortably squat and demonstrate correct form with a fitball.

yes, i agree with core strength. but a lifter should be squatting from day 1. its the first thing a person should do when they step into a weight room. start of with body weight squats without the bar and move up from there. starting at the basic level will ensure the development of proper technique. if there's only one lift a lifter has time for, it should always be the squat. furthermore, if a lifter is training for an athletic pursuit, then they should endeavour to do as many lifts as possible while on their feet. this means seated shoulder press should be standing shoulder press. we want to build up footballers, not bodybuilders. but i like your suggestion of lunges. not many people think of that but it is one of the best functional exercises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm doing a three day split including cardio, here's my regime... 19y/o, 67kg and 174cm. All are sets of 3 with 8-10 reps.

Day 1 (Chest & Triceps)
Bench Press
Incline DB Chest Press
Cable Fly
Tricep Cable Pushdown
Assisted Dips

Day 2 (Back & Biceps)
DB 1 arm row
Lat Pulldown
Assisted Chin Ups
Barbell 21's
DB Bicep Curls

Day 3 (Legs & Shoulders)
SM Squats
45 degree leg press
DB lunges
Upright Row
DB Shoulder Press

At the end of each day I go 15 minutes on a treadmill at 12km/h (3km run all up).

This program has bulked me up pretty quickly (I started 6 weeks ago). I think joining a gym is the best way to go because they can tailor a program to suit your body. It only takes about an hour per session as well depending on how busy the gym is.

Good thread:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I have seen 'ideal playing weight' mentioned. How do I know what my ideal playing weight is? I am guessing age, height, weight and position would all affect this.

Height: 78kg
Weight: 187cm

Trying to improve both fitness and strength this year. Currently I am running 3-4 times and doing 2 weight sessions a week. My running training includes hill sprints, fartlek and flat road runs. My weight training at the moment is concentrated on my upperbody.

Through out the year I have seen steady improvments in my fitness. At the start of the year my PB for 3km was 12.53 now I'm down to 11.57 and hoping to be around 11.30 by March.

Being a taller and a naturally thinner build I have found it hard to gain weight. Since getting serious about my weights in July I have seen an improvment of 2-3kg. Playing on the half back line I would like to reach 82-85kg so I would be able to play on both the tall and small forwards.

Unless your planning on AFL dont worry too much about your ideal playing weight.....you'll know yourself if you are too light because your getting bumped off the ball to easy or if your too heavy because you will be getting your but kicked in sprints you used to win and injured a lot more.....

What I'd like to mention here to particularly a lot of the 17 year old blokes on here is if your not playing at an AFL Club don't train like an AFL Player, unless your prepared to do the neccessary recovery, stretching and consistently seing a physio....

I never had a problem with my hamstrings, however I started a pre season in 06' mid october and was flying up until february when I jumped up for a ball and went twang...I ended up playing three games for the year.

Next year I decided to take it easy and not do much at all and give my body a rest.....the pre season I did at the footy club I was at last year was pretty average and ended up being too heavy. Strained the hammy again in pre season then had a bit of trouble with my knee but only missed 4 or 5 games...but couldnt get out on the track and as I mentioned was a bit heavy....;)

This year I've concentrated on running about 7ks 2-3x a week plus some gym work and mixing it up the running depending on how im feeling, now Im slowly working into the sprints....ill see how I go

Basically what I'm trying to say is they dont give out any Awards in November and Finals are in September so it doesnt matter if your not peaking going into the first practice match. Sometimes injuries can't be helped but don't push yourself too hard especially if your sore. And make sure you find a balance that suits you because everyone is different.

And lastly if your going to train like an AFL Player take this into account, the have weekly recovering, pilates, yoga, swimming, massage, physio, scans and biggest of all many of them dont drink anywhere near as much alcohol as most of us, you need to be doing all these things as well if you want to remain fit....so take it easy ;)

this program is shocking..there r 3 quad exercises and no hamstring exercises?

Decided to start that Essendon training program this week, but then realised in your post margarnacle that you said you probably wouldn't want to start it for a few weeks down the track yet as its only a 12 week program.

What will finishing in early February mean for me? Will I burn out too quickly? Or are there things I can do once the program is finished to keep that fitness level up?

Keep in mind footy training will be well and truly underway by February.

no talkign about this mate

I'm doing a three day split including cardio, here's my regime... 19y/o, 67kg and 174cm. All are sets of 3 with 8-10 reps.

Day 1 (Chest & Triceps)
Bench Press
Incline DB Chest Press
Cable Fly
Tricep Cable Pushdown
Assisted Dips

Day 2 (Back & Biceps)
DB 1 arm row
Lat Pulldown
Assisted Chin Ups
Barbell 21's
DB Bicep Curls

Day 3 (Legs & Shoulders)
SM Squats
45 degree leg press
DB lunges
Upright Row
DB Shoulder Press

At the end of each day I go 15 minutes on a treadmill at 12km/h (3km run all up).

This program has bulked me up pretty quickly (I started 6 weeks ago). I think joining a gym is the best way to go because they can tailor a program to suit your body. It only takes about an hour per session as well depending on how busy the gym is.

for your hamstring ebst exercise to complete is called a nordic exercise..
u can look it up on google or you tube..all afl clubs perform it

Unless your planning on AFL dont worry too much about your ideal playing weight.....you'll know yourself if you are too light because your getting bumped off the ball to easy or if your too heavy because you will be getting your but kicked in sprints you used to win and injured a lot more.....

What I'd like to mention here to particularly a lot of the 17 year old blokes on here is if your not playing at an AFL Club don't train like an AFL Player, unless your prepared to do the neccessary recovery, stretching and consistently seing a physio....

I never had a problem with my hamstrings, however I started a pre season in 06' mid october and was flying up until february when I jumped up for a ball and went twang...I ended up playing three games for the year.

Next year I decided to take it easy and not do much at all and give my body a rest.....the pre season I did at the footy club I was at last year was pretty average and ended up being too heavy. Strained the hammy again in pre season then had a bit of trouble with my knee but only missed 4 or 5 games...but couldnt get out on the track and as I mentioned was a bit heavy....;)

This year I've concentrated on running about 7ks 2-3x a week plus some gym work and mixing it up the running depending on how im feeling, now Im slowly working into the sprints....ill see how I go

Basically what I'm trying to say is they dont give out any Awards in November and Finals are in September so it doesnt matter if your not peaking going into the first practice match. Sometimes injuries can't be helped but don't push yourself too hard especially if your sore. And make sure you find a balance that suits you because everyone is different.

And lastly if your going to train like an AFL Player take this into account, the have weekly recovering, pilates, yoga, swimming, massage, physio, scans and biggest of all many of them dont drink anywhere near as much alcohol as most of us, you need to be doing all these things as well if you want to remain fit....so take it easy ;)

Re: Pre season training

Here's a pre draft camp preparation program.

Mon am - RUN 40-45 MIN @ 75-80% ( Approx 8-10 klms )
pm - Weights
Tues pm - Sprints session A
Wed am - Interval Training
pm - Weights
Thurs pm - Sprints Session B
Fri am - Run 40-45 min @ 75-80 % ( Approx 8-10klms )
pm - Rest
Sat am - Bike Ride 1 hour solid ( approx 25-30 kph )
pm - Rest
Sun am - Swim Recovery
pm - Rest

Sprint Program
1. Warm - Up lap of 400 metre track
2. From finish line to 20 metre mark and back complete the following exercises

Butt Kicks forward
Butt Kicks backward
Side Shuffle
Carioca

3. Dynamic ROM stretches ( approx 5 mins )
4. Sprints : All efforts 100 % intensity, recovery is walk back time

Session A
Sprint with sledg/ car tyre 4 x 20m
Sprint with 10m rolling start 4 x 40m
Slope Sprint ( 30-40 degrees) 4 x 20m

Session B
Sprint rolling start 2 x 50m
Sprint 1 x 60m
Sprint 1 x 70m
Sprint 2 x 80m
Sprint 1 x 70m
Sprint 1 x 60m

Interval Training
4 laps of 400 metre track
* at completion of each lap perform a shuttle run pratice touching the metre line 4 times then continue the next lap. Total Distance = 2400m

There is also a guideline for the gym program if anyone would like ?
Gym Program
1. Ensure that before each session that a 400 m jog and full stretching is achieved and completed.
2. It is a maximum strength program so therefore you should reach full fatigue on last REP.
3. Ensure that timing is done during session 3-4 minute rest between sets
4. As volume decreases weight should increase to achieve maximal strength.
5. Ab Superset Sit-ups ( eg 10 x left elbow to right knee, 10 x right elbow to left knee, 10 normal = 1 set)
6. Ensure that at the end of each session before stretching down that you do a Flexibility Program.
7. For your own benefit you require to stretch as much as you can away from training as much as possible.

Sets 1 & 2
Bench Press x 8, Squat x 8, Close Grip Bench Press x 8, Verticle Jumps 100 % x 6, Bench Row x 8, Ab Single Leg Extensions x 10 (each leg), Ab Superset x 10.
Set 3
Bench Press x 6, Squat x 8, Close Grip Bench Press x 6, Verticle Jumps 100 % x 6, Bench Row x 8, Ab Single leg Extensions x 10 (each Leg ), Ab superset x 10
Set 4
Bench Press x 6, Squat x 8, Close Grip Bench Press x 6, Verticle Jumps 100 % x 6, Bench Row x 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back