Footyology with Connolly & Finey

Remove this Banner Ad

as odd as it sounds it is 100% true.

It's all true. I follow both on twitter for shits and giggles. When Rohan tweets about opinion writers being lowest form of journalism, he's talking about her. When Rita talks about psycho stalkers, she's talking about him.

Whatever occurred with them ended nastily, and its entertaining when they are sledging each other!

Thing l like about this show is it's decent footy discussion but doesn't take itself too seriously or try to make every little story sound like Watergate. Extra points to the boys this week for sneaking South Park into the episode!

I reckon Fox Footy or one of the free-to-airs should pick this show up. Low production values, but it's solid footy chat and the two of them work pretty well together. Certainly no worse than The Bounce!

I used to like Finey especially when he was talking to all the pissed blokes after games on Friday nights but he's worn very thin now.

Been good to listen to in podcast form so far.

Probably could do without the rolling All-Australian segment as they'll just have to manufacture changes to it weekly to keep it interesting.

The media discussion segment is good value so far, especially as now that Rohan has left Fairfax when Fine criticises Caroline Wilson he's somewhat more comfortable talking about it.

Fascinating ‘Media Watch’ segment on this week’s Footyology.

Rohan Connolly talks about Caroline Wilson and her pushing of agendas, specifically of North to the Gold Coast in 2007 which was so relentless and brazen that he felt obliged to start writing articles defending North Melbourne staying in Victoria.

Most damningly, he says that Caro (who he unsurprisingly says he never was friendly with) didn’t push the cause relentlessly because she believed in the cause, but because she just wanted to be proven right.

Also, Mark Fine talks about Patrick Smith and his constant attacking of Grant Thomas while Saints coach and his belief that it was to curry favour with Demetriou.

Well worth listening to.

Fascinating ‘Media Watch’ segment on this week’s Footyology.

Rohan Connolly talks about Caroline Wilson and her pushing of agendas, specifically of North to the Gold Coast in 2007 which was so relentless and brazen that he felt obliged to start writing articles defending North Melbourne staying in Victoria.

Most damningly, he says that Caro (who he unsurprisingly says he never was friendly with) didn’t push the cause relentlessly because she believed in the cause, but because she just wanted to be proven right.

Also, Mark Fine talks about Patrick Smith and his constant attacking of Grant Thomas while Saints coach and his belief that it was to curry favour with Demetriou.

Well worth listening to.

Absolutely fascinating also touching on the Essendon Drugs Saga. This has quickly become my favourite show to listen/watch in footy. Two knowledgeable footy-nuts who clearly take a great interest in watching as much footy as they can, base their opinions on fact and thorough analysis and seem to actually care for the good of the game. Not just that, but neither have obvious allegiances (Rohan will obviously still favour The Age which is hardly unsurprising, but he definitely doesn't need to tow the party line) to any media organisation, club or the AFL - obviously they support their own team but have more than shown the ability to comment and criticise accordingly - and it means they don't have to hold back in criticising anyone or sit on the fence which makes for tremendous listening whether you agree or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Footyology is a cracking podcast - this is so, so much better than they were on tv.

I also like that they aren't really pandering to the AFL boys club. Given both of them are still tied heavily to SEN, that kind of surprises, but I'm glad to hear it.

I think this weeks podcast will be a bit more talked about because of the "juiciness" of the media watch segment. To be honest though, I preferred last weeks episode - it was a lot more geeky, and a lot more down and dirty with the stats and the reasons that teams won and lost. I'm not so interested in the politics of footy or footy media - I can get that anywhere - I'm much more interested in intelligent footy discussion that isn't completely dumbed down for mass consumption, which is what happens on almost every other footy media forum.

I'm pretty surprised how open Rohan was about his issues with Caro and her reporting.

On an earlier episode he said he was areluctant to do the Media Watch segment initially but it seems he's really taken to it as a chance to get a few things off his chest that he couldn't while at The Age.

For example, he mentioned in an earlier ep how annoyed he was how just a couple of days after the memorable 2012 GF, that was forgotten as headlines were dominated by Goddard to Essendon. He wrote an article criticising this and it apparently annoyed a lot of colleagues.

As I said in another thread, I suspect deep down Rohan wishes he'd left The Age sooner than he did.

Is this going around again in 2018? Exceptional podcast, only piece of media you have to consume for the week if you want a detailed analysis of all 18 teams.

Last edited:
Watched ep 1, looks a little different to the 2016 season but still great to get a their summary immediately after each round!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back