Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you wanted to push David Mundy into retirement then a couple of guys moving to the rookie list without having to go through the draft - after the AFL reduced list sizes, wasn't such a terrible thing.

Lachie Schultz just believes he is a bigger deal than he is. That's very handy for sportspeople.

Him being upset was an ego problem. It never changed what he was paid, his ability to play or anything else. It meant he had a lot more leverage when he signed an extension AFTER that too.

We took 2 guys in the draft and two academy players, no PSD picks, no rookie upgrades and then Josh Treacy in the rookie draft, we also added Banfield again too in the rookie draft.

It couldn't have been tighter. Get over yourself, you still have a job.

Schultz started every single game for us in that season, amd 12 goals in 17 games is just as good as our other small forwards now. He absoloutly did not deserve to go yo the rookie list and was rightly pissed off about it.

Banfield was in and out of the side, much different situation.
Who are you going to push to the rookie list then? We didn’t have many options. Our players ooc were mostly our 2018 crop, Mundy, and Cox.

Two of those guys had to be rookied. Do you “disrespect” in your words the guy who’s shown loyalty to the club for over a decade, the 21 year old who was a revelation in defence in the back end of the year, the 19 year old who you moved up to draft, or the bog average 22 year old mature agers you drafted with picks in the 50s.

he just happened to pick the team that won the GF

if it was all about needing to go home, then he could have picked any Vic club

I hear this line of thinking but we don't know which clubs were interested and would have been willing to match what Collingwood offered us in trade.

Anyway because this keeps getting brought up here is the full list of OOC players in 2020. 16 players and only 3 main list spots.

Banfield - delisted and re-rookied
Matera - delisted
Cox - 2 year extension
Bewley - delisted and re-rookied
McCarthy - delisted
Mundy - 1 year extension
O'Reilly - delisted
Dixon - delisted
Butters - delisted
Pina - delisted
Carter - delisted
Schultz - delisted and re-rookied
Thomas - delisted
Valente - 2 year extension
North - delisted
Watson - 1 year extension, already a rookie

Any normal year we would have had 2 extra main list spots, and Schultz is guaranteed one. The fact that people hear his story and think "yeah he's right, the club disrespected him" when I don't think anyone at the time is giving him a list spot over any of the guys who got an extension.

Schultz started every single game for us in that season, amd 12 goals in 17 games is just as good as our other small forwards now. He absoloutly did not deserve to go yo the rookie list and was rightly pissed off about it.

Banfield was in and out of the side, much different situation.
So we send Mundy to the rookie list then?

Unless you wanted to push David Mundy into retirement then a couple of guys moving to the rookie list without having to go through the draft - after the AFL reduced list sizes, wasn't such a terrible thing.

Lachie Schultz just believes he is a bigger deal than he is. That's very handy for sportspeople.

Him being upset was an ego problem. It never changed what he was paid, his ability to play or anything else. It meant he had a lot more leverage when he signed an extension AFTER that too.

We took 2 guys in the draft and two academy players, no PSD picks, no rookie upgrades and then Josh Treacy in the rookie draft, we also added Banfield again too in the rookie draft.

I randomly ran into the dad of one of those rookies at Mark Seymour the other night (after he spilled his beer on me and I asked him if he was a WCE supporter). His son was one of the ones who had to miss out because of Covid and rookie lists etc - it was a hard time for a lot of players.

Ok my bad I'll admit my memory failed me, I forgot about how tight our list was with the covid cuts at the time.

The reason I jumped to siding with Schultz is not because of Schultz words though. When he asked to leave I immediately blamed Bell before I even remembered he got moved to a rookie list. Bell has been the reason so many of our players have left, low balling players as hard as he can. Football clubs rely on culture, squeezing players best friends out the club to try and save a few dollars builds resentment.

Maybe the conversation with Schultz wasn't explained well enough by Bell. Either way I'm annoyed now at Schultz for his comments about pies fans being the best, so screw him.

Ok my bad I'll admit my memory failed me, I forgot about how tight our list was with the covid cuts at the time.

The reason I jumped to siding with Schultz is not because of Schultz words though. When he asked to leave I immediately blamed Bell before I even remembered he got moved to a rookie list. Bell has been the reason so many of our players have left, low balling players as hard as he can. Football clubs rely on culture, squeezing players best friends out the club to try and save a few dollars builds resentment.

Maybe the conversation with Schultz wasn't explained well enough by Bell. Either way I'm annoyed now at Schultz for his comments about pies fans being the best, so screw him.
Yeah, he stuffed a few. But we’re also in the position where our main core is signed long term, and we have cash and picks to bring in the last few pieces (if they’re willing).

The good and bad should be attributed evenly.

Yeah, he stuffed a few. But we’re also in the position where our main core is signed long term, and we have cash and picks to bring in the last few pieces (if they’re willing).

The good and bad should be attributed evenly.

The bad has outweighed the good by a fair margin imo.

Using pick 6 and 26 for Hogan, and then trading him back out again for pick 52, only for him to start dominating again.

We have had more players leave us, during a succesful period, then probably any other club. Lots of those players like Logue and Acres would have accepted humble contracts if Bell didnt take the piss.

Bell has been demoted, and for good reason.

Bell has been the reason so many of our players have left, low balling players as hard as he can. Football clubs rely on culture, squeezing players best friends out the club to try and save a few dollars builds resentment.

I'm not one to jump out and defend Bell but there's no way you can pay everyone their market value. I think in the wash up we've done pretty well with who's left , what we received in return, and who we have signed up long term. (with the massive exception being the Hogan/Neale debacle, but not sure how much of that is directly attributable to Bell. There was talk of pressure from higher up to bring Hogan in).

I think the key ingredient is the buy in where players are willing to take less than market to stay for the team success, but in most cases I don't think you can begrudge individuals for going elsewhere and making hay while the sun of their relatively short career is shining.

I'm not one to jump out and defend Bell but there's no way you can pay everyone their market value. I think in the wash up we've done pretty well with who's left , what we received in return, and who we have signed up long term. (with the massive exception being the Hogan/Neale debacle, but not sure how much of that is directly attributable to Bell. There was talk of pressure from higher up to bring Hogan in).

I think the key ingredient is the buy in where players are willing to take less than market to stay for the team success, but in most cases I don't think you can begrudge individuals for going elsewhere and making hay while the sun of their relatively short career is shining.

Lachie Schultz, Liam Henry, Jesse Hogan, Blake Acres, Griffin Logue, Rory Lobb, Adam Cerra, Bradley Hill, Ed Langdon and Lachie Neale.

Theres always context and reasoning to every move. However this is a shocking trend, especially when some of those are so obviously Bells fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Schultz, Liam Henry, Jesse Hogan, Blake Acres, Griffin Logue, Rory Lobb, Adam Cerra, Bradley Hill, Ed Langdon and Lachie Neale.

Theres always context and reasoning to every move. However this is a shocking trend, especially when some of those are so obviously Bells fault.
Eh I hate Bell as much as the next person but really only two of those are major **** ups. Trading in Hogan in the first place and everything that transpired since, and refusing to pay Acres even close to market value and then letting him go for nothing to a contender with no replacement for him.

Lachie Neale was out the door before Bell even got involved. Langdon was a playing group issue. We're much better off with Serong and Amiss over Hill and Cerra. I'm relieved we don't have to spend the whole season giving Henry games when even his best were low impact. And even with all our KPDs injured we're not missing Logue that much.

hey-im-a-big-deal.gif

Eh I wouldn't boo Schultz, he went home for family reasons and he never did anything wrong during his time with us, I wish him all the best.

I’m going to boo him so hard ….West Coast Eagles fans would tell me to settle down

We really do this dance every few months, huh?

Hogan/neale was a Ross/rosich thing. Bell tried to salvage, and guess who was shown the door after that whole debacle?

Acres is the only one, but given we were expecting to get sharp in to replace him, not so bad.

Everyone else? Meh.

We really do this dance every few months, huh?

Hogan/neale was a Ross/rosich thing. Bell tried to salvage, and guess who was shown the door after that whole debacle?

Acres is the only one, but given we were expecting to get sharp in to replace him, not so bad.

Everyone else? Meh.
I still think people go to easy on Bell about Hogan. He comitted so much to get him but not even two years later ships him out the door for a pick we didn't use. Could've at least tried to get some value out of it.

I still think people go to easy on Bell about Hogan. He comitted so much to get him but not even two years later ships him out the door for a pick we didn't use. Could've at least tried to get some value out of it.
Yeah, the moving him on was diabolical. But smelled of just removing some the taint of the previous regime.

Who knows, he could have turned around here. Or the dumping was the kick up the ass he needed.

But getting him was not on bell.

At the end of the day, Schultz seems to be a good bloke, the playing group still seem to love him, there doesn't seem to be any genuine hard feelings between he and the club, and that's good enough for me.

Nearly all bar Hogan and Neale, were expected.
Acres probably the most stupidest one with cute contract extension talks breaking down.

Sharp is 100 times better than Henry yet cost Fremantle nothing all the while getting draft capital. That’s an absolute win.

Anyway because this keeps getting brought up here is the full list of OOC players in 2020. 16 players and only 3 main list spots.

Matera - delisted
Cox - 2 year extension
McCarthy - delisted
Mundy - 1 year extension
O'Reilly - delisted
Dixon - delisted
Butters - delisted
Pina - delisted
Carter - delisted
Thomas - delisted
North - delisted

Any normal year we would have had 2 extra main list spots, and Schultz is guaranteed one. The fact that people hear his story and think "yeah he's right, the club disrespected him" when I don't think anyone at the time is giving him a list spot over any of the guys who got an extension.
Got to look at those out of contract in 2021 at the time as well.

Delisting and re-rookie listing players with one year left is common and should've be done instead of Schultz.

We took the easier option. No other explanation makes any sense. Wasn't the right option.

Got to look at those out of contract in 2021 at the time as well.

Delisting and re-rookie listing players with one year left is common and should've be done instead of Schultz.

We took the easier option. No other explanation makes any sense. Wasn't the right option.
Why do people on here have such a warped perception on Schultz talent back then? He played every game in a position we had no depth in.

Rookie someone who’s still contracted is actually much more disrespectful and is actually something a player should take offence to. Not someone who signs the exact same contract he would have signed before except he gets moved to an imaginary list because the AFL cut list sizes.

Matera - delisted
Cox - 2 year extension
McCarthy - delisted
Mundy - 1 year extension
O'Reilly - delisted
Dixon - delisted
Butters - delisted
Pina - delisted
Carter - delisted
Thomas - delisted
North - delisted

Poor enough understanding of how list structures work here. You can move CONTRACTED players to the rookie list too, it didn’t have to be uncontracted players only. I think that’s why schultz was so annoyed.
Guys like Stefan Giro Reece Conca, Taylin Duman, Mitch Crowden and Travis Colyer (all well behind him in the pecking order, both in 2020 and projecting their actual value into the future at that time) were on the main list at the time and could have been moved instead.
Making Schultz, who went on to become quite a valuable asset, an unrestricted free agent for life, was a very bad list management move by bell. It was a clear error, irrespective altogether of how Schultz himself felt.
We were VERY lucky Schultz just happened to be signed another year last year when he requested the trade for family reasons. If he had been out of contract (it appeared to be pure luck for us he wasn’t) Collingwood would have picked him up for nothing as a UFA and we would have received a second round pick as compo that would have been in the 30s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back