Frankston kicked from VFL (Readmitted for 2018)

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure if this makes any difference, but: http://bit.ly/2cxNiTz

AFL Victoria has not notified the Frankston Football Club of any decision regarding their license.

The media reports are as a result of a meeting between AFL Victoria and the administrators Monday and the administrator subsequently releasing a statement to the media and not the club itself.

AFL Victoria has not provided any such advice to the club regarding their license and will meet with them on Thursday.

AFL Victoria will not provide any comment until further discussions with Frankston.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Smells like AFL Victoria aren't liking the PR and are pretending they haven't actually made a decision.

Its possible - the statement did come from the Administrator, and not the club itself - a minor technicality. AFL Victoria didnt make a statement of any kind yesterday, which does tend to indicate theres no final resolution as of yet.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Its possible - the statement did come from the Administrator, and not the club itself - a minor technicality. AFL Victoria didnt make a statement of any kind yesterday, which does tend to indicate theres no final resolution as of yet.

Considering the Administrators are currently in charge of FFC, if AFL Vic told them it's all over, then it's all over.

That said, considering the strange scenario that AFL Vic are meeting with 'the club' on Thursday, could this mean that FFC is no more, but that AFL Vic are going to start a new club (franchise) there at Frankston, run the way they want it, and asking the club's volunteers/supporters to get behind that instead?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering the Administrators are currently in charge of FFC, if AFL Vic told them it's all over, then it's all over.

And yet I dont fully believe the Administrator, particularly given the reason the administrator said he was given was continuous poor form. I dont believe the league can pull a license on that basis - and the administrator has already said the creditors were satisfied with the offer in front of them.

That said, considering the strange scenario that AFL Vic are meeting with 'the club' on Thursday, could this mean that FFC is no more, but that AFL Vic are going to start a new club (franchise) there at Frankston, run the way they want it, and asking the club's volunteers/supporters to get behind that instead?

I thought this might be the case - its certainly not unheard of. Im not even sure this is possible though, given the debts owing are due to the facility redevelopment, and the AFL would still have to pay the creditors to access the facilities.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apologies for not being familiar with the backstory...

Can anyone explain how they got into debt so badly? I understand they were building new facilities with some assistance from Government - what happened? Did they take on too much debt? Can they not trade out of their current situation?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I would have thought that it was simply that while winding the club up is seen as inevitable, "the club" still exists and some of its personnel are still involved at least until the administrators begin the process.
I would hope some way can be found to keep the club operating, but given the AFL's involvement in AFL Tas targeting 40% of TSL clubs for destruction not too long ago have little hope of that being the case.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Both the state Labor MP and federal Liberal MP for the area have tried to arrange an urgent meeting with AFL Victoria, but have all been turned down.

The Fed Lib MP says however that he'll get a phone call on Thursday, presuming news about what AFL Vic have decided.

Curious that AFL Vic have declined to say publicly their decision until Thursday, the same day as Frankston's presentation night.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Apologies for not being familiar with the backstory...

Can anyone explain how they got into debt so badly? I understand they were building new facilities with some assistance from Government - what happened? Did they take on too much debt? Can they not trade out of their current situation?

Theyre in a shithouse position becuase they're one of the few clubs that are not aligned with AFL sides.

Meaning they'll always have a worse list, and a lot less cash and resources.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Paul Amy tweeted an hour or so ago that the administrators had been given formal notice that Frankston's VFL licence had been terminated.

But, he also tweeted that reps from Frankston were still in a marathon meeting with AFL Vic that had started at 10am.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
So, in case you missed it (would have been easy enough to do with the strangely convenient timing :rolleyes:), the VFL has decided not to grant Frankston a licence in 2017: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48182755

However, the Federal MP for the Frankston area, Chris Crewther, has indicated that AFL Victoria may be open to re-issuing Frankston a VFL licence if significant steps to solving their financial problems are taken:

<From his Facebook page>

FRANKSTON DOLPHINS: STATE OF PLAY AND NEXT STEPS

This morning I met with senior AFL representatives at AFL House in Docklands in Melbourne CBD.

1f42c.png
A) The state of play is as follows:
1. The AFL note that the Frankston is an important region for them and they do want a VFL presence there.

2. AFL Victoria have now communicated to theFrankston Dolphins Club that their VFL licence has been breached and they can't currently meet the conditions for a licence in 2017 (i.e. they are terminating it), but the Club can come back and show cause why they are not in breach.

3. If the creditors keep the Club afloat past next Monday and the Club can prove their long-term financial viability and put better governance structures in place, AFL Victoria is willing to reconsider re-granting the VFL licence, but in all likelihood this may not be until 2018 unless viability can be proven sooner.

This can be assisted through: creditors waiving or compromising on the debts owed to them; restructuring and significant plans to prove the Club as being long-term financially viable; and/or through large fundraising efforts.

1f42c.png
B) Next steps:
The first step is for the creditors to make a positive decision next Monday, or to be given more time to come to an arrangement.

The community and local leaders then need to get behind the Club to prove this financial viability, to raise funds and to set in place better governance structures in conjunction with the Board, in order to meet the conditions of the VFL licence and to apply to be re-granted the licence.

The setting up of a Steering Committee with local business and community leaders, as discussed at the meeting held at my office with Club and political representatives yesterday, I believe would be the next step to move forward to prove the Club's viability.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
The 10 AFL Vic sides should just run their own reserves league while all the stand alone sides should just re-form the VFA.
Been saying this for a while. AFL Victoria axing the Dolphins shows their intent to run a reserves comp and kill stand alone clubs. Time for willy, port and coburg to start talking to save their own skins.

Sad news. Frankston are/were the only one of the current VFL clubs to never have an alignment, which was really something to be proud of.

Still have a few memories of their late 1990s halcyon days; they barely ever lost a home and away game, but kept stumbling in the finals.

Sad news. Frankston are/were the only one of the current VFL clubs to never have an alignment, which was really something to be proud of.

Still have a few memories of their late 1990s halcyon days; they barely ever lost a home and away game, but kept stumbling in the finals.
Port never held one IIRC.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Maybe making room for us and Port. I have heard we are doing research on costs to join Vfl since the sanfl are thinking of capping the amount of Afl players we can play which defeats the purpose of having a reserves side.

Maybe making room for us and Port. I have heard we are doing research on costs to join Vfl since the sanfl are thinking of capping the amount of Afl players we can play which defeats the purpose of having a reserves side.
I wouldn't mind seeing that. Gives clubs an opportunity to travel interstate.

Back