Frankston kicked from VFL (Readmitted for 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Then create the afl reserves comp. Only other option is to play in the amatuers or neafl
I completely agree, there should be a proper reserves comp. Getting rid of it in the first place was silly.

But then, I can see the issues with flying reserves sides around the country too. I doubt there'd be much money in it, in fact it'd be a drain. Hence the hybrid situations we have.

I completely agree, there should be a proper reserves comp. Getting rid of it in the first place was silly.

But then, I can see the issues with flying reserves sides around the country too. I doubt there'd be much money in it, in fact it'd be a drain. Hence the hybrid situations we have.

AFL can afford it

Revenue issue giving the costs of playing interstate as opposed to somewhere else in Melbourne.
Just saying that they're loaded. They'd struggle, yeah, but they won't go broke.

Sad news about the Dolphins but the writing has been on the wall for half a decade when the Boss rebutted the idea of aligning with the soon to be unaligned Saint Kilda Saints.

When you lie about the debts you have and then try and recoup those debts the right, but long way then you are fighting a losing battle.

Good luck to the club but when you have up to 3 local clubs (within 5km's) paying more at local level football than at the higher standard, you won't be able to attract the talent required to compete consistently on field which is what it is all about.

Just saying that they're loaded. They'd struggle, yeah, but they won't go broke.
Not even close. I have it on good authority we are nowhere near as well off as people think. Especially if the council achieves their aim of removing the fence around North Port.
Situation is, AFL Vic are very close to getting what they have always wanted: an AFL Reserves competition without the hassle of actually setting one up themselves. North Ballarat is apparently quite close to pulling out, and Sandy have signed an agreement with the Saints similar to what Box Hill and Northern have with Hawthorn and Carlton, so that's the beginning of the end of them, frankly.

Port, Coburg and Williamstown should see the writing on the wall and just leave for a local comp or the ammos before they are killed off.

Yes, though when the reserves existed it was Victoria + Sydney and Brisbane, not all around the country.
I do think a reserves comp is necessary, but the AFL have little regard for the integrity of their own competition, much less state leagues which they seem quite happy to let die. There is an issue whether players will go to AFL reserves as top ups rather than play state league - especially up the eastern seaboard. In SA and WA the state league still has enough standing to retain players and there are only two teams to top up.

In Vic the VFL has been so trashed that players would almost certainly prefer the AFL ressies, and the NEAFL standard is such that the AFL reserves would be higher anyway.

There would be obvious restrictions to the 15-20 players you can retain. Say, only 1 former AFL player, 3 others who have been in the "big 3" team of the year, 5 who played a certain amount of TAC Cup games and the rest from local leagues

There is still a little to play out here. From Chris Crewther's Facebook page:

SAVE THE FRANKSTON DOLPHINS STEERING COMMITTEE:

Today we made a decision to form a "Save the Frankston DolphinsSteering Committee" at Frankston Park with Club, community, business and local political representatives at all three levels of government.

The proposed aim is to present a strong proposal to work together to win back the Club's VFL licence from AFL Victoria for the 2018 Season at the latest with community support, looking at long-term financial viability, governance, fundraising and so on.

Yesterday, creditors gave the Club a three week stay on a decision as to keeping the Club afloat versus liquidation, which gives the Club time to present an arrangement to keep the Club going.

This Thursday night there will be a public meeting for Club members and supporters at 7 for 7.30pm at Frankston Park for an update on the current state of play.

The Steering Committee will then meet again next Tuesday to discuss further actions.

As disappointing as this whole situation is. It should be worth noting that Frankston have not worked on or off the field. Should AFL Vic have helped more? Maybe. Is staying in the VFL the right thing for next year? Probably not, the issues are still there. Joining back in 2018? Very bad idea. Things will only get harder.

Step back, make a plan, keep things simple. Keep the club, keep the history, the jumper, some loyal players and supports, and join one of the local leagues or the ammos. The VFL is only going to be harder and harder for stand alone clubs, and is essentially a Victorian AFL Reserves. The AFL needs to provide more support to the state leagues and grass roots footy, but if that's going to happen? Who knows.

The "VFL" (which is not what the VFA was, and never has been) is a sick joke, why would you want to be a part of it anyway.

It's a reserves league and clubs like Frankston play every second week against teams that aren't even trying to win.

It's a blessing in disguise for the future of the Frankston Dolphins. Get out of that s**t and become a real club again. There are vibrant local footy clubs everywhere and they can be one too.

Didn't the original Frankston FC split into the Bombers and the Dolphins when they joined the VFA? They should either rejoin or the Dolphins can go it alone.

Port, Willy and Coburg should do the same thing btw. Then if there is demand for a genuine VFA (not VFL) the road to building one becomes a lot clearer and easier without the AFL leeches and their "alignments".

Clubs like Frankston lost their way when they were shoehorned into this reserves league s**t. Swallow your pride and go back to being a footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "VFL" (which is not what the VFA was, and never has been) is a sick joke, why would you want to be a part of it anyway.

It's a reserves league and clubs like Frankston play every second week against teams that aren't even trying to win.

It's a blessing in disguise for the future of the Frankston Dolphins. Get out of that s**t and become a real club again. There are vibrant local footy clubs everywhere and they can be one too.

Didn't the original Frankston FC split into the Bombers and the Dolphins when they joined the VFA? They should either rejoin or the Dolphins can go it alone.

Port, Willy and Coburg should do the same thing btw. Then if there is demand for a genuine VFA (not VFL) the road to building one becomes a lot clearer and easier without the AFL leeches and their "alignments".

Clubs like Frankston lost their way when they were shoehorned into this reserves league s**t. Swallow your pride and go back to being a footy club.
Too much spectator support would be lost if a stand alone league started. The VFL is still the best standard of footy at Victorian level. I don't have an answer to these problems but am sick of clubs folding. I dream of the old VFA and lament the many clubs that have gone by the wayside. If a new league was formed & failed it could be the demise of strong clubs such as Willy & Port. It's a delicate issue that I doubt will ever be fully resolved. Clubs like Deer Park in the WRFL pay more for their players than Frankston have. It's a joke.

Too much spectator support would be lost if a stand alone league started. The VFL is still the best standard of footy at Victorian level. I don't have an answer to these problems but am sick of clubs folding. I dream of the old VFA and lament the many clubs that have gone by the wayside. If a new league was formed & failed it could be the demise of strong clubs such as Willy & Port. It's a delicate issue that I doubt will ever be fully resolved. Clubs like Deer Park in the WRFL pay more for their players than Frankston have. It's a joke.
That's why AFL Victoria need to impose state wide salary caps.

this isnt just an issue in Victoria though. District and Regional comps are doing this all over the country. No salary restrictions, and they can offer jobs and other incentives.
I can't comment on places elsewhere, but it needs to happen

I dont think the AFL or AFL Victoria can impose anything on competitions or clubs that dont fall within the VFL/VCFL/TAC. Its broad policy directives only, and even then the individual leagues can ignore it.
That's stupid. All competitions should fall under the state governing body.

The absolute last thing anybody needs is AFL control of more leagues.

They've completely destroyed every state league in the name of the AFL.
The fact that they don't control these lower leagues has also helped the demise of the state league. Unless you have AFL ambitions; why would you play for a VFL club when you can get paid more playing in the country?

The fact that they don't control these lower leagues has also helped the demise of the state league. Unless you have AFL ambitions; why would you play for a VFL club when you can get paid more playing in the country?

The old VFA was simply the top level suburban clubs. Nothing more, nothing less.

If the league had been left to its own devices, and properly run in its own interests, it could've been fine as a top level suburban competition.

There still could be one. It works in the amateurs, it could work in local football too.

If you had a competition that had the 12 best semi-professional teams in Victoria, with teams like the Balwyn, Vermont, Norwood, Greensborough and Heidelberg's of the football world, how would they stack up against the standard of VFL Football?

If you had a competition that had the 12 best semi-professional teams in Victoria, with teams like the Balwyn, Vermont, Norwood, Greensborough and Heidelberg's of the football world, how would they stack up against the standard of VFL Football?
IMO it would eventually come down to who pays the most unfortunately. What happened to the Melbourne Storm needs to happen at Aussie Rules grass root level for every club in 'Respect to work within the new AFL Victoria salary Cap'. If there's no clamping down, lots of clubs will do a Melbourne Storm of yesteryear and milk the books if they are in a position to do so. The ramifications of local clubs paying over the odds has a direct influence on what should be a natural stepping stone for players aspiring to be AFL footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back