Front On Contact and Arm Chopping

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
can someone tell me if these two rules are exclusive to forwards? Is that how they are written into the rule book?

If not then why the * are they quite literally only ever paid to forwards?

Another example of this dumb* sport being dumb*.

There are lots of examples of rules being different depending on different scenarios.

Why do forwards get more 30s to kick for goal, but anywhere else on the ground it's only about 5 seconds? Shouldn't the rules be the same? It's not like goal kicking accuracy has improved since this was brought in

Why are there no holding the man frees during ruck contests?

Why can players block during boundary throw ins, but not in a marking contests?

Why can't you put hands out for a marking contests but you can can have your hands on the back of an oppo during a stoppage

Why are small jumper pulls only paid during forward entries, not all over the ground?

17.5 MARKING CONTESTS
17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

17.5.2 Free Kicks - Marking Contests A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
(a) pushes or bumps an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact is incidental to the Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football;
(b) holds or blocks an opposition Player;
(c) unduly pushes or bumps an opposition Player;
(d) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player;
(e) makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player; or
(f) engages in Rough Conduct against an opposition Player.

17.5.3 Permitted Contact Contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if such contact is incidental and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark, spoiling or attempting to spoil the football.

17.5 MARKING CONTESTS
17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

17.5.2 Free Kicks - Marking Contests A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
(a) pushes or bumps an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact is incidental to the Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football;

17.5.3 Permitted Contact Contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if such contact is incidental and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark, spoiling or attempting to spoil the football.

What an absolute mess. Conflicting statements, vague and undefined terms, highly conditional statements, repetitions with minor differences. No wonder the umpires struggle. The rules of the AFL are in so desperate need of reform we need a royal commission.

There are lots of examples of rules being different depending on different scenarios.

Why do forwards get more 30s to kick for goal, but anywhere else on the ground it's only about 5 seconds? Shouldn't the rules be the same? It's not like goal kicking accuracy has improved since this was brought in

Why can't you put hands out for a marking contests but you can can have your hands on the back of an oppo during a stoppage

Why are small jumper pulls only paid during forward entries, not all over the ground?
Umpires just can't wait to blow their whistle. They have a directive to get more goals scored in the game and this is how they do it.

17.5 MARKING CONTESTS

EXACTLY . You can forget about the SPIRIT.of the game.

can someone tell me if these two rules are exclusive to forwards? Is that how they are written into the rule book?

If not then why the fu** are they quite literally only ever paid to forwards?

Another example of this dumbfu** sport being dumbfu**.
Because a lot of the time defenders take their eyes off the ball and look at the opponent. Good defenders just keep the eye on the ball.

Because a lot of the time defenders take their eyes off the ball and look at the opponent. Good defenders just keep the eye on the ball.

But when forwards do the exact same thing noone cares.

Well I can’t speak for everyone but I do see lots of defenders giving away frees because they take the eyes off the ball

You are impossible to talk to. You have taken something a universe away from the point and keep repeating it. I'm not questioning the validity of the rule, I'm questioning why it is applied based on whose 50m arc the ball is in

You are impossible to talk to. You have taken something a universe away from the point and keep repeating it. I'm not questioning the validity of the rule, I'm questioning why it is applied based on whose 50m arc the ball is in
Why don’t you try and have the conversation without being rude? So you’re saying the rule is over used when it is in the the F50 of the attacking team to the advantage of those forwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t you try and have the conversation without being rude? So you’re saying the rule is over used when it is in the the F50 of the attacking team to the advantage of those forwards?

I'm saying forwards get paid the free kick when the defender infringes but they don't seem to do the same when the forward infringes the defender in either of these circumstances. How frequently they pay either to the forward is immaterial

I think the OP answered that quite succinctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back