FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The showrunners completely f’ed it up. No bones about that. Johns parentage was just one detail. There were so many other threads in the show that were either neglected or twisted and contorted around that ruined the entire build up, or worse, the very concept of the over-arching story and intended paths that the book writer had set up.

As an unashamed big fan of the show, I was so excited during season 8 when the truth about Jon came out.
Masssssive let down how it panned out for me.

Jon was all about things that he should take responsibility for, whether he liked it or not and learning that he was the rightful heir to the throne he should have taken control of that destiny.

A lot of those bad directions also happened or originated in season 7 too. When the showrunners stsrted writing their own story, the books had stopped or still unreleased. Season 7 is when Daenarys started getting re-directed as a tyrant, losing battles, making errors, etc. Planting Tyrion and Varys into her circle, and them leading her astray. There was a pro-Lannister intent in season 7, painting high sparrow etc as evil, building sympathy for Cersei etc. So when season 8 came around, the showrunners kept pushing the show that direction. Jamie and Cerseis love, Tyrion caring for Cersei. Jamie loving Tyrion again. Daenarys a tyrant. Etc.

As an unashamed big fan of the show, I was so excited during season 8 when the truth about Jon came out.
Masssssive let down how it panned out for me.

Jon was all about things that he should take responsibility for, whether he liked it or not and learning that he was the rightful heir to the throne he should have taken control of that destiny.
I havent read the books, but the whole concept to me seemed based on Daenarys and Aegon marrying, ruling together, Targaryen and Targaryen-Stark bloodlines unified and unifying the kingdoms finally with the rightful ruling class....the evil Lannisters purged out completely because for so many decades theyd hurt the kingdoms and the masses of people across the entire country, their wealth and self-serving ways, so destructive toward all the other houses. So the story of GoT was supposed to be the Targaryen Saga like the Skywalker saga. Showing that particular window in time when the Targaryens rise back to their rightful reign alongside the loved Starks, new era of prosperity and peace like the intended post-Empire destruction of Palpatine and Vader redeemed etc.

Surely the way the Night King and his White Walkers fizzled out into whole heap of absolutely nothing would the biggest disappointment. He lost because the plot demanded he lose, without the show coming up with a good, organic reason why he lost. He essentially let them win.

A lot of those bad directions also happened or originated in season 7 too. When the showrunners stsrted writing their own story, the books had stopped or still unreleased. Season 7 is when Daenarys started getting re-directed as a tyrant, losing battles, making errors, etc. Planting Tyrion and Varys into her circle, and them leading her astray. There was a pro-Lannister intent in season 7, painting high sparrow etc as evil, building sympathy for Cersei etc. So when season 8 came around, the showrunners kept pushing the show that direction. Jamie and Cerseis love, Tyrion caring for Cersei. Jamie loving Tyrion again. Daenarys a tyrant. Etc.
You can blame Stars Wars for the GOT * up. Weren’t the two guys in charge in line to do the Star Wars mess and that’s why they didn’t expand it to 10 seasons and why it felt a bit rushed??

Surely the way the Night King and his White Walkers fizzled out into whole heap of absolutely nothing would the biggest disappointment. He lost because the plot demanded he lose, without the show coming up with a good, organic reason why he lost. He essentially let them win.
How it should have ended....

9537a4cb397c9d912432aa7ec073354b.jpg

Dany always had a tyrant inside of her. It came out in bursts but the counsel of people like Jorah kept it at bay. Her going Mad Queen and burning down King’s Landing would have been an entirely acceptable and engaging path for the show to take...

...but they didn’t earn it. By rushing the final season and compressing everything the whole thing felt so rushed and fragmented. Piece of s**t decisions such as Dany ‘forgetting the Iron Fleet’, the Dothraki cavalry being sent into the darkness against a superior enemy for some reason, the inconsistency of the Scorpions against the Dragons, the Dothraki magically being regenerated, Cersei doing nothing all season bar stare out a window then being crushed by bricks she could apparently have avoided by standing 5m to her left...

Heck, the Night King being killed by someone with no connection to his story directly and Winter being over so quickly...

Oh, and the worst one of all? Betraying 8 seasons of Jaime’s character development by having him run back to Cersei to die by her side. Just after one of the most cunning women in Westeros thought it a good idea to hire a disloyal assassin with personal ties to her brothers to kill them? What. The. Actual. ****. Was. Happening?

Game of Thrones season 8 is the most disappointing season of any show I have ever watched.

Those two assholes wanted out and ruined it all. HBO shouldn’t have let it happen.

Last edited:
Very good critique there.
They did such a treasonous act Benioff and Weiss. They had cherished fans of something they helped create/adapt, and soon as the lure of Disney money came they betrayed not only all the fans of the show but the legitimacy of that story they were telling. Season 8 was so bad it practically ruined the whole good work of the seven seasons prior. Almost irredeemable.

You mention a number of details there. All right. Theres so many more other details and threads that can be included

As for Daenarys, nothing wrong with the decision to make her napalm Kings Landing, but them twisting everything to paint her as a tyrant, and many things shed done prior as criminal acts, making everyone hate her, John want to kill her, the North hate her for exacting revenge on the Lannisters, etc, and...painting jaime, cersei and tyrion as likeable and back loving each other was also on the nose for me.

But yeah, so many other small details and threads one can mention too

That was maybe the highlight of the season, which says a lot really
Trying to think of what I did actually like.

Brienne being knighted probably the best part. The Sansa Hound reunion scene. Maybe at a stretch Theon’s last stand, though he kind of ruined it by running at the NK I thought.

Why did Jon stand up and scream at an undead dragon tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the whole premise of the show is avoiding the long winter that would inevitably come, to then throw it away as if it meant nothing without any reason at all other than the writers had no idea was deplorable.

GG.exe

I was sad knowing this was coming for you. Reading about your enjoyment as you watched the earlier seasons.

I agree with the comments of others, they butchered the show so badly that I don't think I will ever rewatch.

There are quite a few really good recaps on YouTube detailing how bad the last season was in regards to plot points.

Last edited:
I don't really have an issue with the story, or the end game.

It's how they got there. The last 2 Seasons were rushed so badly, when there was plenty of story and character development that could have come.

Dany becoming a psychopath was just so poorly done.

The ending was pretty bad - not as bad as Dexter or Lost, but pretty bad.

I think Dexter was the worst final episode of all time, but GoT had a worse final season.

Again, nothing wrong with Lost. Similar to GoT, the curse of over speculation led to people's expectations being disappointed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back