Out: Wayde Skipper, Cyril Rioli (suspension), Brendan Whitecross

FORM:
Sydney Swans:
LWWLL
Hawthorn: WLWDL

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27345308-5018851,00.html

wedswan.gif

Leda in, Swans out.

I'm going to be brief today because Roddy has written a cracker of a preview. I have to be honest, I have a soft spot for the swannies, mostly because they were freakin' soft for so long. But they've given us a run of late, so I hate them. And that dude in Prison Break who made the origami swans pisses me off too.

There's one big out, and a tall in accompanied by a couple of surprising selections. Once again, this game is fairly much a must win then we can dare to think ahead to the finals.

We've speculated on the team changes here.

And discussed the merits of the actual team selected here.

So without any further ado, it's on with the gameday thread and Roddy's terrific preview, Go Hawks!

Thanks Roddy!

Round 19: Sydney Swans…*bites arm* *pulls out hair* *screams to the heavens* Do I have to? God I hate Sydney...

*Composes himself*

*Coughs*

LETS BEGIN:

A week is a long time in football…A truer saying there never was. While we know we’re capable of scintillating footy and have shown form good enough to contend for the flag if we’re to believe the rumors, what we have in reality is a situation where we must keep winning to play finals…We need to beat the Swans and the Dees before we do any finals prepping whatsoever. So forget about resting players, forget thinking about an assault on the flag and trying to create history. Let’s get back to basics.

This week we face another bogey side in the Sydney Swans- and let me tell you they don’t give a rat’s behind about our potential, what we should be playing like, or what we feel we deserve… I live in Sydney and I can tell you that no one is happy about their past two performances and everyone is delighted they are playing us.

Swans supporters are among the most vicious in the league. I have been in fear for my life on several occasions sitting next to old timers who on first appearance seem close to death themselves, but when the Bloods take the field it’s as if the spirits of the Norse Vikings have possessed them and should I stand in their way I will be part of their plunder. This almost demonic possession seemingly rubs off on the players as well-I swear I saw Benny McGlynn and Josh Kennedy doing some sort of Voodoo magic on a Cyril doll right before he copped two weeks…Anyways I can’t prove any direct correlation between the two events, so I have to move on, but what I do know for sure is that other teams really set themselves for us because we are a scalp. Make no mistake, the Swans a ready.

So what do we learn from this? From the outset we are up against it. Add to this our poor recent record at the SCG and the picture becomes even bleaker. The last time we played there, round 22 2007, we were spanked to the tune of 72 points. In fact we have only won once at the SCG in the last 15 years- a 17 point victory against the Swans in 2003.

*wipes sweat from brow*

*sip of water (aka bourbon)*

LET’S CONTINUE:

Doom and gloom of stats and motivational forces aside, I believe that the Swans greatest weapon for this match is the fact that at the moment we are our own worst enemy.
Arch Nemesis: PETULANT BEHAVIOUR
Complaining to the umpires, giving away countless frees and 50’s- whether they are there or not is irrelevant- during the saints game and against Port we literally took our eye off the ball. We behaved like the job is done, when it is never done. In my opinion it’s been a little bit disappointing- BUT- it’s actually very simple to rectify…in theory. Bring our focus back to the ball and the basics and we will prevail.

Bruce Matthews makes mention in the HUN of our return to unsociable football and how the amount of suspensions correlates with a good win/loss ratio in games where players have been suspended, and while I am happy we have found our competitive nature again- no Brown and no Rioli this week…well, I’d rather they were playing, wouldn’t you? This year our behavior has tilted over into the land of the unnecessary. Start a melee with the hawks, or do something that gets them riled up and we lose focus on the game. Let’s live dangerously, but keep it on the edge and always make sure our focus is on the ball and playing for the team. No more hoorays to the bench yelling names like sniper at players who have incensed you- history records those words, yes, but it also records that you lost.

PETULANT BEHAVIOURS’ HENCHMEN:

Adam Goodes: On fire. Fender Strat played on him last time and received praise- however was helped by wayward kicking and I really felt Goodes broke even. However Strats has developed in leaps and bounds since then and has the footy smarts to play on him again and to do very well. Breaking even with Goodes will go a long way to helping secure a win. Breakeven: 4goals.

Hanneberry: If we thought we were worried about Ports work rate, we have another thing coming. This kid is first class and will (as he did last time) crucify us if our attitude is even slightly off. Runs all day and is tough. I would be running Changa with Hanners, Sewell with McVeigh, and trusting that Burger, Mitch, Hodge, Lewy and co can beat ‘Hey Jude’, Captain Kirk, and Joey.

The Eski: Pretty good season overall- Supercoach lock- if our frontal pressure is up to scratch we will shut him down. Normally I would say midfield pressure- but being at the SCG the midfield area can be bypassed with long kicks at certain points- so defensive pressure in the 50 is just absolutely crucial in this game… The Eski has copped a tag in recent weeks- id think Ossie could be the right match up for us.

Ben McGlynn: Mighty Mouse didn’t play against us last time. He will want to do well and must be shown respect. Some of you may have seen that he came out in the media and made mention of us being contenders. Playing the underdog card is a very Sydney thing to do- he has TURNED to the dark side people and will be wanting to burn us. It’s like a horror movie- Mighty Mouse has been turned into a Vampire whose sole aim is to lure you out of safety so he can feed on you…

Hawthorns Heroes:

The Following players can destroy our arch nemesis and his henchmen:

Buddy: Needs to behave himself, and say some pleases and thank yous… And really, our forward line should dominate their depleted back half. His run around the smaller SCG will be very useful. I would have no issue with him running loose all over the park and opening the forward line up for others. Buddy = Superman.

Hodge & Sammy: 1 in the midfield, 1 running from half back- swapping with each other intermittently. I think our midfield is good enough to allow them to perhaps spend some time playing roles which will re-align our collective work rate in the game and give us direction. More importantly- penetrating kicking from half back can open up the SCG. Hodgey in particular could be very damaging if he plays that quarter back role. Regardless of what roles they play- their work rate is vital against the bloods. Hodge & Sammy = Jedi Knights

Roughead: With quick kicking into the forward line- he could kick 10 at this ground. I dare say that him playing more high half forward at this smaller ground will be less useful-so leave him in the goal square I say and watch him make Richards his bi%ch. I will say no more. Roughy = Thor.

Osborne: Needs to be in charge of frontal pressure. Ossie = Green Lantern

Cyril: Keep dancing… this kid is a star. Oh wait- he’s suspended…J

Burgoyne: Needs to be a clearance hero. Burgers = The Flash

Clinton Young: could almost be our most important player- free him up for some long bombs while the Swans try and crowd Roughy and Buddy- at the SCG he could kick a bag IMO. CY= The Hulk

Benjamin Stratton: I just wanted to say his name again. J but seriously, our back half shouldn’t under estimate the swans forwards despite the fact that I think we match up very well on them. Ben Stratton = Ben Stratton.

WHAT WILL WIN US THE GAME:

Applying the basics. Tackle, tackle, tackle- don’t stop tackling the Swans until you’re dead. Fierce, team orientated 1%ers- smother, shepard, run run run… In the words of the great Johnny Rico “Everyone fights. No one quits. If you don’t do your job, ill shoot you myself.” J

WHAT WE NEED TO REMEMBER:

The last two times we have played the Swannies we have won, but they have been unconvincing wins to say the least and weren’t at the SCG. The season is taking yet another turn, and is full of many more surprises. We must shed ourselves of the notion that we deserve anything, are entitled to anything, or have a right to something more than any other club.

THE ANECDOTE:

I was speaking to the manufacturer of a furniture product in Sydney recently who said the hardest thing he has to do is get employees used to doing something over and over again, the exact same thing, constant repetition, until they become so good at it that their productivity increases and they produce more per hour and hence they and the company earn more. ‘Overcoming the obstacle called monotony for the collective good’, as he put it, is his greatest challenge. I think this is an apt analogy for football teams and the effort they produce on a field. Sometimes you just have to do things you don’t want to… J

THE GOOD STUFF:

Having said all of that which you have previously read, I fully expect us to win. J It has been an amazing season so far which has taught me, if nothing else, that anything is possible. Winning at the SCG would fit perfectly with all that we’ve done so far this year. It is just another challenge for us to rise to and would hardly seem out of the ordinary at all. We have all the tools. We just need to utilize them.

Dare to dream.
Hawks by 36 points. J

Great stuff roddy. I wonder if the game will be a rugby style game or will sydney try and open it up to try and win it. Should be interesting to see the match ups ted richards on roughie i really like (kick it to roughy i say). By theway roughy. Go back and kick em son especially if your 10 metres out

Great stuff roddy. I wonder if the game will be a rugby style game or will sydney try and open it up to try and win it. Should be interesting to see the match ups ted richards on roughie i really like (kick it to roughy i say). By theway roughy. Go back and kick em son especially if your 10 metres out

Except in the second quarter as Molly pointed out.

Nice read Roddy and a six goal victory should be lovely.

Great read Roddy.. We can dare to dream, look what Carlton did last night. They dared to dream, and that dream came true!! They FLOGGED the scum..Is there anything better in football??They hadn't beaten the scum in the last six meetings, but they did last night. We must redeem ourselves after that disgraceful display last week.. Fingers xxxxx for a much better performance today..

(Anyone got a voodoo doll)??? Or maybe a prayer will get us better results.;)

I could perhaps pray but God will probably ignore a heathen like myself.

Quietly confident about today. Interested to see how Taylor will go and whether Roughy will start slotting through were they are supposed to go.

A 6 goal win is about what I would expect looking at today's game. 9 goals would be an unexpected surprise & 3 goals a little disappointing.

Swans can be a tough opponent & we don't like the SCG but it's about time we break out of these little slums that we have. We are almost at the stage now where every 2nd week we play a bogey team that always pips us; or on a ground that always troubles us; or burn ourselves through missed opportunities... Time to rise and seperate from the other teams in the comp (especially 5 - 8) and play to our potential - and I have complete confidence that we can do it today.

Best of luck boys - my pick is a 'W' by 39.

Oh, and if it isn't too much to ask - no injuries / suspensions!

* Go get 'em Taylor.

A 6 goal win is about what I would expect looking at today's game. 9 goals would be an unexpected surprise & 3 goals a little disappointing.

Swans can be a tough opponent & we don't like the SCG but it's about time we break out of these little slums that we have. We are almost at the stage now where every 2nd week we play a bogey team that always pips us; or on a ground that always troubles us; or burn ourselves through missed opportunities... Time to rise and seperate from the other teams in the comp (especially 5 - 8) and play to our potential - and I have complete confidence that we can do it today.

* Go get 'em Taylor.

6 goal win would be good, but highly unlikely, it will be a another close win/loss is what we can expect i just dont have any more confidance in our goal scoring anymore, we miss so many easy shots that the opositions take adavantage off.
in round 10 when we played the Swans last time we kicked 11-19 and that was the only reason we won by 2 points, and i just hope the players realise this before its too late...

I've just hobbled off after playing in the parents vs Auskick game. Bruising encounter with the preps prevailing. Pumped for this game. Anyone know what the weather up Sydney way is like?

If there are concerns with our scoring ability then there should be alarm bells about theirs... And like you said Mac-D - we had 29 (10.19) scoring shots last game & at least 2 shots that went out on the full. If we kick like that again we probably deserve to lose.

I agree that the game will be tight, but it shouldn't be close.

I've just hobbled off after playing in the parents vs Auskick game. Bruising encounter with the preps prevailing. Pumped for this game. Anyone know what the weather up Sydney way is like?
Apparently it's ok, but fairly cold. That's what I read on the Sydney board. :)

* Go get 'em Taylor.

I'm not that confident. A win of any margin will do me:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect us to sneak away to a 2-3 goal lead at several times during the match.

Then we will have a chance to make a clear break with a relative simple conversion. We miss.

Swans then go coast to coast for the classic 2 goal turn around.

This happens a few times and then Swans get a bit of a run on and go into 3/4 time on a roll.

We then have to fight tooth and nail to win or lose in a tight one.

It will be so.

Has been all year.

Why change the script now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back