Gary Ablett Senior sues Geelong, Hawks and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

That may be but should children who start in the contact sport be subjected to the potential consequences? When they can’t understand the long term consequences? And many will not become professionals

So ban all contact sports before the age of 18, and have them all play soccer.

We can't wrap everyone and everything in bubble wrap.

So ban all contact sports before the age of 18, and have them all play soccer.

We can't wrap everyone and everything in bubble wrap.
There’s no easy answer , I don’t think children have the capacity to make that informed life choice that can affect their long term quality of life , by the time they are 18 the damage may have already been done from both training , practice and game contact for example

On the other hand if you ban contact sports up to a certain age ….it’s going to be an absolute disaster having it at the elite /adult level where the skills of the game will be vastly affected

Im not sure of what the right choices are for the sport , but I can’t see contact being allowed at one level and not the other it’s going to be blanket ban on the entire sport moving forward…even with consent and waivers that can always be challenged in court and I can’t see any contact sport being comfortable with potential litigation for the future moving forward

That may be but should children who start in the contact sport be subjected to the potential consequences? When they can’t understand the long term consequences? And many will not become professionals

If you were to use that logic that's all sports, not just footy. You can break a leg playing netball, basketball, running, absolutely anything. If there's potential consequences of injury - and there are - that's everything.

Just when you thought society couldn't get weaker and pathetic, this would finish the job.

Why do you think so? If anything the participation rate might increase.

Kids are naturally drawn to adventure, excitement, challenge, and risk. That's part of what makes it fun. Especially for boys. They are not going to be drawn to anything with an army of parents and counsellors telling them there is absolutely no risk of any danger.

There’s no easy answer , I don’t think children have the capacity to make that informed life choice that can affect their long term quality of life , by the time they are 18 the damage may have already been done from both training , practice and game contact for example

On the other hand if you ban contact sports up to a certain age ….it’s going to be an absolute disaster having it at the elite /adult level where the skills of the game will be vastly affected

Im not sure of what the right choices are for the sport , but I can’t see contact being allowed at one level and not the other it’s going to be blanket ban on the entire sport moving forward…even with consent and waivers that can always be challenged in court and I can’t see any contact sport being comfortable with potential litigation for the future moving forward

I think the desire to eliminate concussion altogether is fanciful, and clouding the discussion somewhat.

It's a simple fact that people enjoy viewing, and participating in, contact sports.

It's a simple fact that the risk of concussion can never be totally eliminated from contact sports. It can only be mitigated.

It's a simple fact that the sport itself will be destroyed if contact is outlawed.

I think the AFL simply has to mitigate the risk with commonsense.

Set minimum time out periods for concussed players, have them answer to a medical panel who can refuse permission for a player to return, set stricter protocols, punish sling tackles, dump tackles, raised elbows and head hits with far more severe suspensions, and maybe even have a monitoring program for all players from underage to retirement.

I took it to mean in the same way soccer and basketball etc are "non-contact".
Point still stands , soccer and basketball are set up for turnovers/ or a change of possessions without contact

The only way that’s happening in the AFL is an incorrect kick or a behind …not much of a spectacle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kids are naturally drawn to adventure, excitement, challenge, and risk. That's part of what makes it fun. Especially for boys. They are not going to be drawn to anything with an army of parents and counsellors telling them there is absolutely no risk of any danger.
Sure. Tell the parents and counsellors to * off. Why are the counsellors there anyway? I've noticed kids don't generally want to knock each out when they play a game though.

Sure. Tell the parents and counsellors to * off. Why are the counsellors there anyway? I've noticed kids don't generally want to knock each out when they play a game though.

That's not what Partridge was saying.

He was pointing out that kids are drawn to adventure.....and risk.

Tell them they are going to participate in a sterile environment where it's very safe and the excitement won't be there.

Point still stands , soccer and basketball are set up for turnovers/ or a change of possessions without contact

The only way that’s happening in the AFL is an incorrect kick or a behind …not much of a spectacle
Intercept, smother, steal, forcing an incorrect disposal, having to bounce or dispose of the ball, corralling, jostling..

That's not what Partridge was saying.

He was pointing out that kids are drawn to adventure.....and risk.

Tell them they are going to participate in a sterile environment where it's very safe and the excitement won't be there.
Sure.
I mean it's footy. Kids'll want to play it like how they see it played on tv.

Sure.
I mean it's footy. Kids'll want to play it like how they see it played on tv.

Where they no longer see hip and shoulders, king hits, and know that sling tackles mean suspension.

The game has come a long way in a relatively short time. The game just needs sensible governance, and an understanding that the risk of concussion can't be entirely eliminated.

If you were to use that logic that's all sports, not just footy. You can break a leg playing netball, basketball, running, absolutely anything. If there's potential consequences of injury - and there are - that's everything.

Just when you thought society couldn't get weaker and pathetic, this would finish the job.
It’s really all up to the judges in the court rooms isn’t it?? The AFL simply has to react.

Despite the future challenges the sport is in a better position than say the NRL, boxing NFL where those codes are centralised around constant contact .

I think the AFL can thrive without contact, it will just look very very different but the sport has rapidly changed over the years anyway .

Maybe. Boxing in mainstream consciousness has been replaced by MMA, but boxing is still around. It's never going to go away either.

Wouldn't know about the other two as I never watch them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back