Rumour Gary Ayres to coach the Brisbane Lions in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Ayres is being headhunted by the Lions to coach them in 2017, the board wants an experienced senior coach with strong development credentials. Ayres is a friend of Matthews and Swan and his work in the VFL has put him in the box seat.
Strong development credentials, so why are they after Ayres then?

Surely Stewy Dew is getting sounded out?

Not a better credentialed assistant coach going round.
Played and coached under/with some big names. Done a more than impressive apprenticeship as well as the now mandatory level 4 coaching course.

Ticks a lot of boxes for mine.
Could be clubs feel he has said no to too many jobs already?

Ah, I see. Obviously too many people these days are looking for ways to be offended. It was merely a joke regarding the wording of the initial post "I'm hearing Brett Ratten" to which I responded with what I thought was a humorous rewording of the quote from "Sixth Sense". Some (most) people saw it for what it was but beachroo is one of the aforementioned people. ANyone who knows me both personally and here at BF knows that I would never joke about someone's loss. I deal with it at work every day. If only the desire to be offended didn't blind people to a sense of humour. Sheesh.

It was funny and I pissed myself.

I don't think anyone could possibly have found that insensitive, surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of his contract would be that he must maximise his mullet.

Gary-Ayers-Mullett.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a stain on the history of the Geelong Football Club no club should let him near them

Why do you say that - give us some reasons - some logical facts to back it up

1995 16W 6L ( 2ND at end of home away)
1996 13.5 -8.5 7th
1997 15-7 2nd
1998 9-13 12th
1999 10-12 11th

Ithought with the talent he had on the list - he did a pretty good job - Stoneham he didnt have at all - because of his leg issue . Baistow retired in 94 - no games under GA . Ablett only 2 years 95/96 - did his knee finished - Brownless and Couch had seen better days etc

Alot of Geelong supporters are dirty on Ayres - because the club nearly went broke - he wasnt signing the cheques mate . The Geelong president and commitee at the time -who were in control at the time of the horrendous financial situation - get off scot free - yet the fall guy to the supporters is Ayresy

Anyhow mate i look forward to the logical list of your reasons - to back up your big statement .

Because of his treatment of Gary senior?
He and the whole club treated the stars very poorly during that time. Ablett clearly one of them and others like Hocking. Ayres was already a hated player from Geelong's biggest rival. And when he got to Geelong he treated the fans with contempt. It was the start of a dark time for Cats fans. Stuck between a good era and a great one.

FWIW - Was on the same plane back from Launceston after Carlton/Hawthorn as the FOX Footy Crew and the 2 sides.

Ben Dixon was absolutely trashed before we'd even got off the tarmac and was getting stuck into his old teammate, John Barker about it being the worst kept secret in football that he had the job sewn up for next year.

Strange appointment if true.

Dixon could be right according to the AFL website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back