Competitions Geelong Board Draft Game - Rules in OP. - Picks/Rounds post 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a very quick 11 I have to say but some absolute stars in there
Besides Warne and Lawry there isn't much to get excited about. Stackpole and Redpath could play a bit but that side pales in comparison to any from NSW.

Cheeky sod
W. Lawry
I. Redpath
K. Stackpole
P. Sheehan
P. Handscome
G. Maxwell
R. Robinson
A. Hurst
S. Warne
M. Walker
J. Pattinson

Not a bad vic lineup I would have thought. Beats Bevan, Slater, cant even remember their spinner's names, the rug, the other rug Matthews and all the other NSW atrocities that have been served up over the years. :eek:
Warwick Armstrong. Bill Woodfull. Bill Ponsford. Keith Miller. Neil Harvey. Dean Jones. Merv Hughes.

Besides Warne and Lawry there isn't much to get excited about. Stackpole and Redpath could play a bit but that side pales in comparison to any from NSW.
How old are you Nakia?
Richie Robinson was one of the unluckiest wicketkeeper batsmen in the history of Aussie cricket. He was making a lot of runs and was a sensational wicky.
Paul Sheehan opened the batting for Australia for quite some time.
Handscomb has shown that once you remove the NSW dregs that have always been there, some great players have been left behind
Maxy if he disciplines himself as Warner has could be anything
Alan Hurst was very unlucky Lillee Thompson and Walker were around at the time, as he was quick and deadly
Maxy walker (the other maxy) could do thinks with a cricket ball that not many others have been able to since. Moved it in the air and off the wicket at leisure. He would have taken a lot more wickets had he not moved the ball so far
You don't mention Warney, probably the best spin bowler in history.
Admittedly, NSW have had some very fine players, but when they are perpetually given the opportunity, you would expect that.
If Bradman and Simpson had have been Victorians, you would be speaking conversely to now.
Who were their spinners again?
Bill O'Reilly I would love to have seen and compared to Warne
Richie seemed servicable
But then???
Oh Yeah, Bevan's chinamen, Greg Matthews peak cap offies, Magill's wrist spinners (OK he was unlucky too, but about time it was a NSW player being the unlucky one.
Poor Stewy. And after his efforts of recent, perhaps well deserved. Harsh I know

I'm not convince Starc is as good as being pronounced. If his first effort no good he goes to pieces. Soft. If he could be consistent, he would be great. But until then doubts over him
Hazlewood showing good signs. Lucky Cummins and Pattinson have been injured though
Khawaja cannot play against spin. Will be shown in India again
Warner also doubtful against spin. Time will tell. I hope not, as without his contribution, look out.
Smith, a great batsman, yet to prove in subcontinent and England, but fine player. Not such a good skipper. Terrible decisions on when to bowl his spinner/s. Defensive in the field
McGrath proved his worth from start to finish. In the top few quicks in Aus history.
Waugh brothers. Steve a stalwart, but mark should have been better. never made big tons, always too nonsulant. Great field
Taylor great 1st slipper, good batsman, brilliant skipper

But how could they not get some goodens when always selected. It seems a seven NSW player policy over my lifetime.
Wrong
Jamie Siddons scored more domestic runs in history than any NSW batsman and still didn't get a shot
Boony, Hayden, Lehman, Langer, Hussey. Left out way too long from the Aust team (if NSW) that would not have happened.

Last edited:
How old are you Nakia?
Richie Robinson was one of the unluckiest wicketkeeper batsmen in the history of Aussie cricket. He was making a lot of runs and was a sensational wicky.
Handscomb has shown that once you remove the NSW dregs that have always been there, some great players have been left behind
Alan Hurst was very unlucky Lillee Thompson and Walker were around at the time, as he was quick and deadly
Maxy walker (the other maxy) could do thinks with a cricket ball that not many others have been able to since. Moved it in the air and off the wicket at leisure. He would have taken a lot more wickets had he not moved the ball so far
Admittedly, NSW have had some very fine players, but when they are perpetually given the opportunity, you would expect that.
If Bradman and Simpson had have been Victorians, you would be speaking conversely to now.
Richie seemed servicable
But then???
Oh Yeah, Bevan's chinamen, Greg Matthews peak cap offies, Magill's wrist spinners (OK he was unlucky too, but about time it was a NSW player being the unlucky one.
Poor Stewy. And after his efforts of recent, perhaps well deserved. Harsh I know

I'm not convince Starc is as good as being pronounced. If his first effort no good he goes to pieces. Soft. If he could be consistent, he would be great. But until then doubts over him
Hazlewood showing good signs. Lucky Cummins and Pattinson have been injured though
Warner also doubtful against spin. Time will tell. I hope not, as without his contribution, look out.
Smith, a great batsman, yet to prove in subcontinent and England, but fine player. Not such a good skipper. Terrible decisions on when to bowl his spinner/s. Defensive in the field
McGrath proved his worth from start to finish. In the top few quicks in Aus history.
Waugh brothers. Steve a stalwart, but mark should have been better. never made big tons, always too nonsulant. Great field

But how could they not get some goodens when always selected. It seems a seven NSW player policy over my lifetime.
Wrong
Jamie Siddons scored more domestic runs in history than any NSW batsman and still didn't get a shot
Boony, Hayden, Lehman, Langer, Hussey. Left out way too long from the Aust team (if NSW) that would not have happened.
Old enough to know that conspiracy theories that Victorian supporters produce, are just that, theories. It's used because their ego hasn't developed enough to accept that maybe NSW really is the superior state... I mean having the most domestic titles is reason enough to accept.

It does give me a chuckle though since the selection panel is regularly (before Mark Waughs arrival) been made from people who played for other states.

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Steve Waugh
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist(wicketkeeper)
Richie Benaud
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Glenn McGrath
Bill O'Reilly.

Hard to beat that

Old enough to know that conspiracy theories that Victorian supporters produce, are just that, theories. It's used because their ego hasn't developed enough to accept that maybe NSW really is the superior state... I mean having the most domestic titles is reason enough to accept.

It does give me a chuckle though since the selection panel is regularly (before Mark Waughs arrival) been made from people who played for other states.

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Steve Waugh
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist(wicketkeeper)
Richie Benaud
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Glenn McGrath
Bill O'Reilly.

Hard to beat that
Claiming gilchrist

I don't really care NSW managed to dominate the 40s 50s and 60s over the last 20 years Victoria and Queensland have outperformed NSW in Sheffield shield.

Its like Carlton fans banging on about the glory years, no one cares if you have the most if it's not relevant to the current situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really care NSW managed to dominate the 40s 50s and 60s over the last 20 years Victoria and Queensland have outperformed NSW in Sheffield shield.

Its like Carlton fans banging on about the glory years, no one cares if you have the most if it's not relevant to the current situation.
It helps that the majority of the NSW side has been away representing Australia. It's no surprise then that this has been the case. It just goes to show how good we actually are.

Beside that, NSW have 6 titles to Victoria's 5 over the course of the last 20 years.

QLD have 7.

Last edited:
Not to mention Simpson, Bradman, Border and Lindwall.
All 4 of those players were not only born and bred in NSW but represented them too.

How old are you Nakia?
Richie seemed servicable
But then???

Wrong

Robinson would have been better off not joining WSC. The Test gig would have been his and he probably would have kept it when Marsh returned.

It helps that the majority of the NSW side has been away representing Australia. It's no surprise then that this has been the case. It just goes to show how good we actually are.

Beside that, NSW have 6 titles to Victoria's 5 over the course of the last 20 years.

QLD have 7.
Huh no over the last 20 years NSW has just 4 not 6.

Queensland- 6
Victoria- 5
NSW- 4
Tasmania- 3
West Australia- 2

Not sure where you got your numbers from.

Huh no over the last 20 years NSW has just 4 not 6.

Queensland- 6
Victoria- 5
NSW- 4
Tasmania- 3
West Australia- 2

Not sure where you got your numbers from.
My apologies, your selective stats are correct.

My apologies, your selective stats are correct.
The last 2 decades is selective stat? Thought it was a nice round number that denotes current success.

Last edited:
The last 2 decades is selective state? Thought it was a nice round number that denotes current success.
We could always try the last 35 years or better still, stick to the overall total that sees NSW a clear leader who won't be surpassed in our lifetime.

Myself, well I reckon it's only fair that we start the count from the time Tasmania entered the competition in the year that I was born... (I think)

Last edited:
We could always try the last 35 years or better still, stick to the overall total that sees NSW a clear leader who won't be surpassed in our lifetime.

Myself, well I reckon it's only fair that we start the count from the time Tasmania entered the competition in the year that I was born... (I think)
Yeah because 40 years ago is is at all relevant to today, good news for all tigers fans.

Yeah because 40 years ago is is at all relevant to today, good news for all tigers fans.
It's not relevant because it doesn't suit your narrative. That's ok, the Vics have plenty of time to catch up. :thumbsu:

It's not relevant because it doesn't suit your narrative. That's ok, the Vics have plenty of time to catch up. :thumbsu:
I'm a Queenslander :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back