Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

You're mistaken.

We have 8 over 30s locked in the best 22. But the older ones are more likely 17-20 games than the full 23.

Dangerfield
Hawkins
Duncan
Stanley
Blicavs
C.Guthrie (if he gets back)
Stewart
Cameron

Then a couple who are handy depth (Rohan (usually injured) + Tuohy). In any given week at least 2 or 3 are injured/managed.

So far this season we have rolled with 8, 7 and 6 (expected) over 30s in our line ups. So that leaves 15-17 spots for under 30s each week. That number will bump up by one or two each season with retirements.
Right so 8 locks and 2 depth that I have usually seen in the best 22 but anyway.

Out of those 10 Stewart and Cameron are the only players I see worth it going into 2025, certainly 2026. Do you disagree? Who would you like to keep in 2026?

It’s more than two it’s just some don’t matter nearly as much as others. If Rohan, Touhy, Duncan, Stanley, and Bews retire at years end it’s not a big loss. Hawkins, and Danger are the gut punches we can’t yet absorb. I don’t think Stewart, Blicavs, or Cameron are contemplating retirement just yet.
Yeah I honestly would keep Cameron, Stewart and Hawkins if you want for legacy reasons.

Unless you want to contend I’d cull the rest off quick smart. That’s just me anyway, they played their role to get the 2022 flag, time to move in now to the next gen.

Yeah I honestly would keep Cameron, Stewart and Hawkins if you want for legacy reasons.

Unless you want to contend I’d cull the rest off quick smart. That’s just me anyway, they played their role to get the 2022 flag, time to move in now to the next gen.

Last season we were getting smashed at stoppages with Selwood gone and reduced output from Danger, Guthrie, and Stanley (to varying degrees) due to injury. This week will be a good litmus test with all those guys likely to miss the game. Not just can we win but how we look in the ruck, at stoppages, and transitioning inside 50. If we win off the back of Stewart/Cameron heroics it’s great but not evidence of the development Geelong needs.

Last edited:

We've said we always want to contend.

Having arguably the best forward and best defender in the league as 30-31 year olds seems a strange time to put the cue in the rack. Guys like Cameron and Stewart don't come around every day.

We'll manage the older guys to develop our promising younger players but we're not going to cull them while they're playing good footy. And we're absolutely aiming to contend.

Right so 8 locks and 2 depth that I have usually seen in the best 22 but anyway.

Out of those 10 Stewart and Cameron are the only players I see worth it going into 2025, certainly 2026. Do you disagree? Who would you like to keep in 2026?
Guthrie's status makes it 7 until proven otherwise really, but his absence is probably what gets another veteran over the line (even if they're not playing strictly the same position) so 8 is a sensible number.

It's always one year at a time. Things can shift quickly. 2025 is already a way off so let's stick to that.

Tuohy will obviously retire, as will Stanley. I'd be very surprised if Rohan goes on. So there's 3, but only Stanley of the locks.

Managing Hawkins, Dangerfield and Duncan in 2024 probably stretches their career into 2025 if they choose to do so. They're still very good at what they do even if they can't do it as often (e.g Dangerfield can't have 90% game time on ball smashing into every single contest).

If Guthrie can get back on the park he'll stay. As will Blicavs, he's a freak. Stewart and Cameron round out the "self explanatories".

Unlike a number of cooked Tigers, these guys are still playing good footy when on the park. You wouldn't be keen to get rid of many Tigers if they were in Vlastuin's form.

The formula of phasing a few new players into the side each year with 2-4 retirements hasn't really been broken since 2010, so it's understandable that they're not going for anything groundbreaking now.

Kids killing Hawthorn's at the moment.

Bruhn will be a bull. Reminds of Taylor Adams and Liberatore.
Dempsey is already entrenched in the best 22.
Conway, Clark, Holmes, De Koning, Henry . . . Cats will make finals this year and that will be invaluable experience for this next group.

Conway, Clark, Holmes, De Koning, Henry . . . Cats will make finals this year and that will be invaluable experience for this next group.
Reminds me of Adams too.

Been trying to think of a comparison for him for a while, and that's a great one. Kudos.

Once Conway gets a 4 quarter tank he'll begin to show us what he's made of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark had his best game today. Disposal was good, had more contested than uncontested, had 7 tackles, hit a couple of forwards lace out.

Still carried by Dangerfield though, wouldn’t have won today if he wasn’t playing 🙃

We're still too reliant on Tuohy, Stanley and Rohan as well.

Can nearly put a line through Stanley, Rohan and Tuohy.

Big props to Kolodjashnij. I wrote him off over the summer thinking he would be one of the first to be replaced but he's been excellent so far.

Can't see Bews getting back in. Mullin has power and speed down back.
Duncan's been a champion and was almost BOG today but it will be tight for spots when Guthrie is back again.

The kids are alright. Holmes is already a jet, Dempsey is a revelation, Henry obliterated Sicily and Bruhn dominated the stoppages. Don't even get me started on the BIG RED Conway in the ruck!
I never knew Coway was Damian Bourke and Brad Ottens' love child till now, but oh boy.

Still carried by Dangerfield though, wouldn’t have won today if he wasn’t playing 🙃
From 2020/2021: the side has lost Ablett, Taylor, Henderson, Menegola, Selwood, Smith and C.Guthrie remains out long term, with Tuohy, Rohan and Bews now just squad support players, and Stanley not that far behind. That's 11 very useful veterans who have been replaced in fairly quick fashion or are no longer essential.

Holmes, Close, Stengle, O.Henry, Z.Guthrie, SDK, Bruhn, Bowes, Clark, Mannagh, Mullin and Conway are filling those gaps nicely (or are earmarked to) with plenty of improvement to come.

Going shopping for an elite key forward prospect and a gun prime-aged midfielder would be nice but otherwise things are tracking okay.

I think maybe because we gradually rotate/turnover players instead of doing the conscious Big Complete Rebuild(TM), people don't notice the regeneration.

Like Bews is now no longer best 22, he's basically been replaced by Mullin. Rohan has been unavailable through injury and has barely been missed - it might be difficult for him to even get back in. Bruhn and Holmes have just become key parts of the midfield now. Blokes like SDK, Miers, Z Guthrie and the Henrys have slotted in over the past few seasons and become key players with no fuss whatsoever.

Wishful thinking clearly > over facts on here. Obviously Cameron Dangerfield and Hawkins are generational talents but even so -

Danger has a year or two left and Holmes may well be Danger mark II by then.
Hawkins shows no signs of slowing up, not that speed over more than 10 metres is his game. Blicavs could well hit the goal square for a couple of years post Tom given his extraordinary physiology.
Cameron has a good few years left on current evidence.

Who knows what wheeling and dealing is going on behind the scenes to replace these guys anyway, cap space will be our friend given the development of the kids to replace the over 30 brigade -

Mullin > Bews
Dempsey > Rohan
Conway > Stanley
Bowes > Duncan
Bruhn > Guthrie
Clark > Atkins
O’Sullivan > Stewart
Knevitt > Blicavs
O’Connor > Tuohy

A gun mid (Reid) and Key Forward (?) only 2 that I’m really concerned about but thankfully our targeted trading in is up there with our youth development, sorry..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back