Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

They can't win the flag with Cooky and Scott still there. Not having a crack at either of them, but they have put the club in a comfort zone. Not enough hunger.

Same thing was said by many on the Eagles board about Nisbett and Simpson.

I make it a rule to never write off teams this early.

Geelong supporters - "We will win the flag in 2019"
Opposition supporters - "Geelong won't make finals in 2019"

Both sides of the fence are largely biased for the most part.

Geelong supporters are biased as they live in a 1 team town with a local newspaper that pumps their team's tyres up all the time.
Opposition supporters are biased because Geelong have been so good for so long therefore mental scars linger which cloud judgement.

The reality is that they'll finish in the 5th-8th range on the ladder and from there who knows how they'll go.

Should be fairly competitive, just not sure they structure up well. Midfield depth might be an issue? A lot of the heavy lifting is still carried by older stars. They could go well but the flag I think is unlikely. Then again it comes down to who has the fittest list at the right time fo year so luck may prevail.

You never say never in this game, but i wouldn't have thought so. The Cats have topped up their list the past few years (to my chagrin, Zach Tuohy probably being the best, being a star for The Catters), and now they have changed their approach with last year's draft and trade period by bringing in mostly talented kids, so it is a mini reset.

I'd say around 2021 is the next legit Cats flag push (their youth development program is arguably 2nd only to The Swans the moment)

Get the feeling Chris Scott won't be there much longer tbh, i think the AFL will convince him to take the Gold Coast job at the end of 2019 (which is both good for Geelong and Scott, who is a quality coach)

Geelong supporters - "We will win the flag in 2019"
Opposition supporters - "Geelong won't make finals in 2019"

Both sides of the fence are largely biased for the most part.

Geelong supporters are biased as they live in a 1 team town with a local newspaper that pumps their team's tyres up all the time.
Opposition supporters are biased because Geelong have been so good for so long therefore mental scars linger which cloud judgement.

The reality is that they'll finish in the 5th-8th range on the ladder and from there who knows how they'll go.
Don't know which Geelong supporters you're speaking with. I haven't come across any that think we'll win a final let alone win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the the op serious?
You never know. What about you guys last year? No one { apart from demondavey } gave you guys a chance. Priddis,Mitchell and Petrie gone { too old anyway by then } and you just got smashed off the park by GWS. First round exit the year before. Things can happen. We made the prelims only the year before last, and a year before that too.

Tim Kelly is a star. Danger, not much needs to be said there. With a couple of fringe players added and Ratugolea coming back after showing some promise, amongst a few other young lads we could surprise.

My money is on the Pies, then the Dees, with you guys and the Tiges being massive chances too. But we could cause a stir.

Geelong only snuck into 8th because they finished the season with Gold Coast and Freo back to back at home. Like us the year prior they had a lot to thank Melbourne for.

Certainly in the mix for a top 8 spot but where is the improvement going to come from? Fielded a pretty old and experienced team in the EF and have added Dahlhaus and Rohan. Since the 2011 GF they've made the finals 6 times in 7 years with the 7th being just out which is a good effort, but they've also won 3 from 12 starts which is not. Last year they added Kelly and got Ablett back and won fewer games than the year before. What's going make them a 15-18 win side that performs in September?

I can't see a team with a poor ruckman, poor forward line ,poor defence and an ageing midfield win a flag let alone ake the finals.

Geelong = long term mediocrity, you shouldn't have wasted so much salary cap on the flamboyant Dangerfield,it's a road to nowhere.
We're ok thanks. Go troll in the bay.

Geelong = long term mediocrity, you shouldn't have wasted so much salary cap on the flamboyant Dangerfield,it's a road to nowhere.
You could argue they have underperformed massively but Dangerfield on 800 k pa is a bargain. Ironic given your poster name is based off one of histories greatest philosophers and your arguments resemble a two bit hillbilly that doesn’t know his ass to his elbow

No trolling cocka, Geelong are 9th favourites to win the flag. Do you expect opposition supporters to agree with the title of this thread? I gave the answer so stop sooking .Put in on the Geelong board if you want universal agreement. GMAB
I'm not so sure since you mentioned something about long term mediocrity. Geelong, since the inception of a truly national competition - since 1990 - have won 3 premierships, made countless finals appearances, and I'm fairly sure hold the mantle as the team with the most wins in that time.

If you want the term 'long term mediocrity' defined correctly I guess you need look no further than your own backyard.

Now can you grow a leg or two and post something that resembles some sense, or like I said, go troll in the bay.

I'm not so sure since you mentioned something about long term mediocrity. Geelong, since the inception of a truly national competition - since 1990 - have won 3 premierships, made countless finals appearances, and I'm fairly sure hold the mantle as the team with the most wins in that time.

If you want the term 'long term mediocrity' defined correctly I guess you need look no further than your own backyard.

Now can you grow a leg or two and post something that resembles some sense, or like I said, go troll in the bay.
Lol your thre troll mate, my point is mediocrity from now on which is the general opinion out there. You're off in fantasy land.

You could argue they have underperformed massively but Dangerfield on 800 k pa is a bargain. Ironic given your poster name is based off one of histories greatest philosophers and your arguments resemble a two bit hillbilly that doesn’t know his ass to his elbow
Dangerfield is on more than $800,000 per year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back