Opinion Geelong Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

And our eyes are swayed by team success at the time. Put peak king in the 2007-10 era and we would be talking about him just as highly as Ottens. He had some unbelievably dominant games during his time and effectively carried the whole side. I actually cant think of ottens having equivalent games off the top of my head. People forget ottens got a lot of negative backlash from geelong fans before 2007. In part cos the team wasnt doing well.

there is a reason why in the 2007 gf king gets some of the biggest cheers from geelong fans. Geelong fans back then didnt know the future to come like we do now but they had better memories of the previous 10 years.

only king is an all australian ruckman. Ottens isnt.

In saying all that i cant really split them. Maybe i too have been swayed by the premiership era bias.

I’m not wanting to denigrate King’s standing in the game - he was a quality ruckman. But Ottens was a level ahead. Without Ottens we don’t win the flags from 07-11 imo. As far as dominant games, the ‘07 Prelim is the one that immediately comes to mind.

Ottens and King in today's game would be a dinosaur set up. If you took out Blicavs in this team it would be for a forward/mid type or genuine winger.
People said the same thing in the nineties. The dinosaur ruckman were dead. Barnes and mckernan were the future of ruckman. Yet the ruckman now are bigger then they have ever been and the dinosaurs like gawn, goldstein, nic nat and sandilands have been the dominant rucks of the past 25 years. Why? Cos hit outs and marking actually matter.

before injuries took hold king was quite mobile anyway and exceptional at picking up balls cleanly off the ground. He averaged nearly the same amount of disposals as blicavs did in his best years.

ps. This is a made up imaginary side over twenty years. Why do you think the side plays in 2022 and not 2003?

People said the same thing in the nineties. The dinosaur ruckman were dead. Barnes and mckernan were the future of ruckman. Yet the ruckman now are bigger then they have ever been and the dinosaurs like gawn, goldstein, nic nat and sandilands have been the dominant rucks of the past 25 years. Why? Cos hit outs and marking actually matter.

before injuries took hold king was quite mobile anyway and exceptional at picking up balls cleanly off the ground. He averaged nearly the same amount of disposals as blicavs did in his best years.

ps. This is a made up imaginary side over twenty years. Why do you think the side plays in 2022 and not 2003?
I just don't want two of them in the same side. One, with Blicavs doing his second ruck and mids 50/50 role, Hawkins at forward stoppages, works better (especially with the ruckman being able to go a kick behind the play like Stanley at times). He was top 3 in B&F in a flag year where our midfield functioned better than it has in many years.

Blicavs role helped us become a defensive beast this season with how we set up.

Ottens and King were very, very capable. They wouldn't need each other in a best ever team.

Actually you're right. I'm playing the game in 1995 now and this is still my best team.

Why? Why does longevity matter and not actual ability?
Well I guess it comes down to what your criteria is, but if you do it for five solid years that's proof that it wasn't a fluke, that you can adapt to changing game styles and increased opponent scrutiny.

Right now, these two are deserving based on what they've done and if I were picking a team to play (adjusted so the old players aren't actually that old and scaled for the norms of fitness etc at the time) I would pick them.

Well I guess it comes down to what your criteria is, but if you do it for five solid years that's proof that it wasn't a fluke, that you can adapt to changing game styles and increased opponent scrutiny.

Right now, these two are deserving based on what they've done and if I were picking a team to play (adjusted so the old players aren't actually that old and scaled for the norms of fitness etc at the time) I would pick them.
Cameron has done it over 10 years though. he has proven its no fluke.

stengle you may have a point. Motlop in 2013 showed just as much talent as stengle this year and probably would of kicked 50 goals too if he didnt hurt himself late in the season and carry the injuries through finals.

and you are right it comes down to criteria. Are you picking a side to reward players for achievement or are you picking the best side to play an imaginary game against someone else?

i tend to assume the latter thus my comments.

2007 - 2022 Golden Era D team

FBThurlowGilliesD.Johnson
HBClarkM.BrownRuggles
CHigginsHorlin-SmithCunico
HFParsonsRatugoleaLang
FFGregsonKerstenCockatoo
FolZ.SmithNarkleS.Selwood
INTVardySmedtsPrismallMcCarthy

Unlucky to miss out in no particular order

Simpson, Dawson
Fogarty, Lachie
Hogan, Simon
Mumford, Shane
Simpson, Sam
Cowan, Josh
Black, Aaron

HBClarkM.BrownRuggles
HFParsonsRatugoleaLang
FFGregsonKerstenCockatoo

Simpson, Dawson
Fogarty, Lachie
Hogan, Simon
Mumford, Shane
Simpson, Sam
Cowan, Josh
Black, Aaron
Stewie Crameri absolutely robbed.

Spoilt group to choose from when in the past 16 seasons we’ve only lost 8 games by 50+

Rd 9, 2008 - Collingwood 86 (MCG)
Rd 7, 2012 - Adelaide 50 (AAMI)
Rd 11, 2014 - Sydney 110 (SCG)
Rd 1, 2015 - Hawthorn 62 (MCG)
Rd 9, 2015 - West Coast 56 (Subi)
QF2, 2017 - Richmond 51 (MCG)
PF1, 2017 - Adelaide 61 (AO)
PF1, 2021 - Melbourne 81 (MCG)

HBClarkM.BrownRuggles
HFParsonsRatugoleaLang
FFGregsonKerstenCockatoo

Simpson, Dawson
Fogarty, Lachie
Hogan, Simon
Mumford, Shane
Simpson, Sam
Cowan, Josh
Black, Aaron
Poor old Josh Walker can't even get space in this forwardline:'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine - updated:

B: Enright, Scarlett, Harley (vc)
HB: Stewart, H. Taylor, Milburn
C: Duncan, Selwood (C), Mackie
FO: Ottens, GAJ, Danger
HF: S. Johnson, Mooney, J. Cameron
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Stokes
INT: Bartel, Blics, J. Kelly, Guthrie

EMG: S. King, Ling, J. Corey, Lonergan

Hard to leave out Ling and Corey, but it gets too slow and inside mid heavy if theyre both in there as well. Cameron is another contentious one, but he's still a Coleman medalist, 2 x AA, 2x B+F and Premiership player - so he's done enough in his career to deserve being in the team - regardless of him only being here a couple of years.

I’d have a couple ahead of Harley too. Mackie and now possibly Jack Henry and Jed Bews (if you want to include a genuine small back).
Woah. Give you Mackie over Harley.
Love Henry and especially Bews but not over Harley.

Woah. Give you Mackie over Harley.
Love Henry and especially Bews but not over Harley.

Harley was a good player but no star. Henry is now a premiership player and should be talked about in the same conversation as Harley. I'd take Henry. Bews was mentioned only because we haven't had an elite small defender over the period discussed to include.

Harley was a good player but no star. Henry is now a premiership player and should be talked about in the same conversation as Harley. I'd take Henry. Bews was mentioned only because we haven't had an elite small defender over the period discussed to include.
Harley gets lost a bit on the recency bias IMO - not saying you've applied that here but in general.

Harley's leadership was immense in 06-09 and IMo we dont win those falgs with him guiding the playing the group like did.

For that .. I add points to is relevance in these things.

GO Catters

Harley gets lost a bit on the recency bias IMO - not saying you've applied that here but in general.

Harley's leadership was immense in 06-09 and IMo we dont win those falgs with him guiding the playing the group like did.

For that .. I add points to is relevance in these things.

GO Catters

Was gonna say, Harley is being sorely undervalued here.

Was one of the prototype loose defenders and interceptors that have since evolved into Josh Gibson and more recently Tom Stewart and he was very very good at it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back