C.LING - M.BLICAVS*B.GRAHAMC.GUTHRIE*

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]C[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]MARK THOMPSON[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

You know it's an amazing team compared to all the other teams I have done when the likes of j.kelly, mackie, duncan, sanderson, riccardi and t.kelly are left out.

Surely no one here can argue with blicavs selection any more after another great season.

Who else would you have in/out? And who from the current crop do you think can break in in future?

Ronnie burns to me was incredible when he was on song, but he was nowhere near Riccardi. Same with Motlop. Out Burns and Motlop, in Riccardi and Stokes. Swap Chappy with Riccardi from HF to FF. Also Ottens in for B. Graham, who for some reason you seem to keep forgetting?

Reckon Jordan Clark is a fair chance to feature in here within the next few years. Kid will be a star

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:
INS: CAMERON, STENGLE
OUTS: MOTLOP, BURNS
Leadership change: Selwood to captain. Harley to vice captain.

FBT.STEWART*M.SCARLETTT.HARLEY (vc)
HBC.ENRIGHTH.TAYLORD.MILBURN
CJ.BARTELJ.SELWOOD (c)J.COREY
HFP.CHAPMANC.MOONEYS.JOHNSON
FFJ.CAMERON*T.HAWKINS*T.STENGLE*
RRS.KINGP.DANGERFIELD*G.ABLETT
INTC.LINGM.BLICAVS*C.GUTHRIE* - J.KELLY
COACH:MARK THOMPSON

I think with the addition of cameron and stengle, it has rectified the only previous weakness of this team. I now think there is a significant step down to the next best team across all the other boards i have done. just unbelievable across each and every line.

the only thing i am really 50/50 with now is the coach. is it more impressive to create this environment or to sustain it for 12 years through to an almost entirely brand new squad? at this stage i am sticking with bomba however if scott can nab another flag it will put it beyond doubt.

the only current player i can envisage one day breaking in to this team is de koning; that's not to say there aren't other good young talents at the cats, just that to get in to this particular team is going to require something special.

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

I think with the addition of cameron and stengle, it has rectified the only previous weakness of this team. I now think there is a significant step down to the next best team across all the other boards i have done. just unbelievable across each and every line.

the only thing i am really 50/50 with now is the coach. is it more impressive to create this environment or to sustain it for 12 years through to an almost entirely brand new squad? at this stage i am sticking with bomba however if scott can nab another flag it will put it beyond doubt.

the only current player i can envisage one day breaking in to this team is de koning; that's not to say there aren't other good young talents at the cats, just that to get in to this particular team is going to require something special.

How does Ottens miss?!!!

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

CHANGES AT END OF 2020:
IN: GUTHRIE
OUT: GRAHAM

Thoughts?

Ottens for S. King your biggest error. Rest is good though

How does Ottens miss?!!!

king might be the only non premiership player in this team but he is no dud. he has been a starting all australian ruck in this time period. ottens never close to that. king had at least 3 elite level seasons this century. ottens had 2 elite finals series and 1 really good season overall for cats

king might be the only non premiership player in this team but he is no dud. he has been a starting all australian ruck in this time period. ottens never close to that. king had at least 3 elite level seasons this century. ottens had 2 elite finals series and 1 really good season overall for cats

Nah, Ottens is our second best ever ruck behind Farmer. Demands selection in that team.

I’d have a couple ahead of Harley too. Mackie and now possibly Jack Henry and Jed Bews (if you want to include a genuine small back).

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

Ottens surely has to make it.

I'd also have Duncan instead of C. Guthrie and Mackie instead of Harley.

Ottens surely has to make it.

I'd also have Duncan instead of C. Guthrie and Mackie instead of Harley.

duncan ahead of guthrie who just won your bnf in a premiership year to go with his previous all australian and bnf which duncan has none of? really?

duncan ahead of guthrie who just won your bnf in a premiership year to go with his previous all australian and bnf which duncan has none of? really?

Duncan has spent the majority of his peak years as an outside player. It's miles more difficult to win AA guernseys in those position. The AA team is usually stacked with 7-9 inside mids compared to maybe 1 genuine wingman if you're lucky. This is where AA isn't necessarily the best guide.

Besides, if you already have GAJ, Danger, Selwood, Ling, Bartel, Corey, Kelly and Blicavs, do you really need another inside mid rotation?

King was actually a premiership player -2007

King was actually a premiership player -2007

wow you're right i'd completely forgotten what happened with blake that year!

just makes it even more unbelievable to have all 22 players as premiership players, no other team i've done comes close to that. hawks next closest with 16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow you're right i'd completely forgotten what happened with blake that year!

just makes it even more unbelievable to have all 22 players as premiership players, no other team i've done comes close to that. hawks next closest with 16.

All 22 in your team also have at least 1 All Australian.

2 eight-time AA (GAJ and Danger)
3 six-time AA (Selwood, Enright and Scarlett)
1 five-time AA (Hawkins)
1 four-time AA (Stewart)
2 three-time AA (Cameron and Johnson)
4 two-time AA (Bartel, Chapman, Taylor, Corey)
9 one-time AA (Harley, Milburn, Mooney, Stengle, King, Ling, Blicavs, Guthrie, Kelly)

Duncan has spent the majority of his peak years as an outside player. It's miles more difficult to win AA guernseys in those position. The AA team is usually stacked with 7-9 inside mids compared to maybe 1 genuine wingman if you're lucky. This is where AA isn't necessarily the best guide.

Besides, if you already have GAJ, Danger, Selwood, Ling, Bartel, Corey, Kelly and Blicavs, do you really need another inside mid rotation?
I agree with this. I'm a huge Guthrie fan for his last 3 years in particular but there are enough stoppage rotations and Duncan has been borderline elite at wing (or on ball, or forward or back flanks) for at least 7 years.

You need some genuine wingers in a team and his versatility + skill level belong in any great Cats team.

Wot???

Every person involved at Geelong would pick Ottens over King... every single one of them. Even King himself!!!! King played 2007 by default - Blake unfortunately played one of the worst prelims of all time.

Come on maaaan!!!

King isn’t a dud and for those of us who were putting up with the mediocrity dished up for most of the decade before 2007 he along with Scarlett was one of our few brushes with ‘eliteness.’ Realistically though he wasn’t in Ottens’ class and perhaps not even until Martin came along as one player’s ability to rise in finals footy been so pronounced. He is a must pick in all Geelong greatest hits teams of the last 40 years

Nah, Ottens is our second best ever ruck behind Farmer. Demands selection in that team.

I’d have a couple ahead of Harley too. Mackie and now possibly Jack Henry and Jed Bews (if you want to include a genuine small back).
people have forgotton how good king was in the early 2000s.

ottens, king, bourke are all very close with different strengths and weaknesses.

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

Great team. I would replace blicavs with ottens to cool the raging ottens mob. Plus with this midfield there is no need for a utility who can play both defensive midfielder and second ruck.

Great team. I would replace blicavs with ottens to cool the raging ottens mob. Plus with this midfield there is no need for a utility who can play both defensive midfielder and second ruck.
Ottens and King in today's game would be a dinosaur set up. If you took out Blicavs in this team it would be for a forward/mid type or genuine winger.

people have forgotton how good king was in the early 2000s.

ottens, king, bourke are all very close with different strengths and weaknesses.

Not even close in my eyes and I saw all 3. Ottens was clearly the better mark, better forward option, better kick… Bourke of the 3 was the better tap ruck but was pretty limited after that.

Not even close in my eyes and I saw all 3. Ottens was clearly the better mark, better forward option, better kick… Bourke of the 3 was the better tap ruck but was pretty limited after that.
And our eyes are swayed by team success at the time. Put peak king in the 2007-10 era and we would be talking about him just as highly as Ottens. He had some unbelievably dominant games during his time and effectively carried the whole side. I actually cant think of ottens having equivalent games off the top of my head. People forget ottens got a lot of negative backlash from geelong fans before 2007. In part cos the team wasnt doing well.

there is a reason why in the 2007 gf king gets some of the biggest cheers from geelong fans. Geelong fans back then didnt know the future to come like we do now but they had better memories of the previous 10 years.

only king is an all australian ruckman. Ottens isnt.

In saying all that i cant really split them. Maybe i too have been swayed by the premiership era bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back