Review Round 2, 2024: Geelong Cats vs Box Hill Hawks, 30 March 2024, 11.05am @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks guys for the updates!
GreenShoots are coming through!
I was personally worried for O’Sullivan and Bennetts with all our forward additions?
Hopefully they can keep their form moving forward and make it really hard for our list management team?
Emerson Jeka you would think the lad would learn from his time at Hawthorn?
Geelong may not be the saviour club they think they are!
He is a perfect Hand Bagger on that little paddle pop shape s**t hovel of an oval!
Sorry for the hatred of Geelong you would understand if you lived down that area!
Bring on Monday please Hawks!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the replay again - and what a fun last quarter

Butler - has looked so good two weeks in a row. Not just slotting goals, but coming up the ground and providing good link. Bennett did even better in that linking role, but without the end product.

Sully - was a huge spark. I'd like to see him play a few more, as his knock has always been consistency. He needs to stay on the park and needs to be more than just impact on a quarter.

Calsher - My fave was just watching young Dear. He's raw in places, but his contested marking just feels like a natural talent. For such a skinny kid, he had some real presence in patches. Cannot wait to see his growth.

Finn & Butler - for mine has next option into the first team, but Box Hill has no shortage of kids knocking on the door.

Only disappointment was Coops, who seems very rusty. Makes sense coming off an injury, but I'd hope he can dominate our centre going forward, as the position is open at Box Hill & he should know he's on his last legs this year for Hawks.

really good win by the lads.

Positives: Butler (obviously), Finn (great character to go down to BHH and perform so well) and Serong, this kid is really developing into a fabulous defender, and when he gets his chance, he'll do a great job.

Stunners: (a) O'Sullivan, wow, he could be a serious player. Crossed fingers he develops this year, because he looks and plays like Nick Watson. Imagine having two of those!!
(b) Bennetts, so much class, reminds me of Brockman, but clearly a better runner. Ditto for him, fingers crossed for a great development year.
(c) Dear, goodness, reminds me of his old man, except much better skills lol. Again, this year might launch him into a third tall at AFL level in 2025.

Jury's out: Ned Reeves. Really want him to be good, but this was a case where the stats lie: his influence on the game was pretty marginal.

Disappointments: Same as last week, I have not been impressed by Phillips at this stage. Too many fumbles, a lot of poor decisions. Has a great attacking side, but needs to learn a lot more about defence at the elite level. But he is less than two months in, so hopefully he will learn over the early part of the season.
Cooper Stephens, limited game time, but I'd say unless something dramatic happens, 2024 is looking like his last on an AFL list. Really, a player that is ok at everything, but just doesn't have a one wood in his bag.

Jumping Jack is my name for JOS

Serong will be quality in the frost role

Box hill teams show some real character. Very worthy of the brown and gold. 2018 team really dug deep in the finals.
Only pittonet, Jiath, Nash Worpel Lewis Moore still playing made any kind of afl career from that team. TOB maybe

the value of Gunston in one (ok two) sentence:

"His leadership and ability to read the momentum of the game was exceptional – it was almost like having another coach. Calsher Dear was the rewarder as he ended up kicking three goals which was arguably his best VFL game he has played so far and that’s because of the work Jack Gunston was able to do with him by just helping him and putting him in the right spots.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back