Review Round 2, 2024: Geelong Cats vs Box Hill Hawks, 30 March 2024, 11.05am @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Good effort by the boys. Great to see Calsher having such an impact early. Good to see Finn go back and perform. Sounds like mixed reviews on Ned.

What struck me is that we don't have many other mids really fighting for a spot in the 1s. For some reason I thought we were really going to have competition for spots there this year. With Day out, it seems like there's only 1-2 (Finn, Harry) not in the team (assuming HH plays Monday).

Same old playing on Tucker/Dear. Used it well but didn't like body contact.

And still like BH looked like he was lacking just that yard of pace.

Reads the game relatively well, but really didn’t go as hard as he should in a few parts.

Good to see Maginness silence a few of the criticisms today. He really produced an all round game which he can build on in the AFL rather than being a one trick run with player. Needs to improve his skills a bit but made some good decisions today.
No offence to the kid but a good game in the VFL doesn't silence anything.

Good effort by the boys. Great to see Calsher having such an impact early. Good to see Finn go back and perform. Sounds like mixed reviews on Ned.

What struck me is that we don't have many other mids really fighting for a spot in the 1s. For some reason I thought we were really going to have competition for spots there this year. With Day out, it seems like there's only 1-2 (Finn, Harry) not in the team (assuming HH plays Monday).
Stephens played limited time today too.
Finn had a good day.
Butler will likely get some mid time as he develops.

We have enough with Worps, Nash, Jai, Ward, Frenchy. Huss comes in this week and Will back in a few weeks.

Croc can also play full time mid with Butts playing the HHF role.

Good to read that Finn was strong and Butler backed up from last week. I'm still keen for them to do it a few more times before getting back to AFL level.

Long story: I read something from Will Schofield during the week. Debut season, was getting pantsed by an old Anthony Jones (ex freo undersized kpp), who kicked 4 Q1 goals on him.
Coach then threw him into the ruck where he had a great game. His point being that this wouldn't have happened at AFL level and games like that at the lower level were critical for him.
Confidence is a big thing so Finn playing with freedom and hitting kicks and Butler getting more involved at VFL level is really valuable imo as opposed to playing bit parts at AFL level at this point

Stephens played limited time today too.
Finn had a good day.
Butler will likely get some mid time as he develops.

I think you’ve just made my point for me, no? None of those others would be worrying opposition at this stage.

We have enough with Worps, Nash, Jai, Ward, Frenchy. Huss comes in this week and Will back in a few weeks.

Croc can also play full time mid with Butts playing the HHF role.

It seems like a lot, but I haven’t seen many outside Worps, Jai and Day put in a “dominant” (however you want to interpret that) performance at AFL, let alone on a regular basis. It makes some of those “how are we going to fit them all in” calls from late in the pre seasons seem a little premature.

Don’t get me wrong, still very hopeful that quite a number of those will “make it”. Just think that we’re a long way from a sure bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - I’ve realized my pedantry is coming across overly negative. Absolutely brilliant to get this win, and clearly some great green shoots coming through. Will get a lot of joy out of watching BHH this year.

I used to be big on Reeves superior tap work, but he just offers nothing around the ground. Even at VFL level. It’s like playing a man down.
Had 40 hitouts and 7 clearances, fwiw.

Meek does that and half this board would want him in the side.

Thanks for the reports.

Who was Reeves up against? Looked on paper a guy making his vfl debut - who he should absolutely dominate.

Good to hear our forwards showing something. Is not the easiest path onto the hff however for butler/bennetts etc.

Had 40 hitouts and 7 clearances, fwiw.

Meek does that and half this board would want him in the side.

The posters point is that he offers nothing around the ground. Is he good enough in ruck contests to then play a man down? That’s the big question about what he seems to offer.

Good to see Maginness silence a few of the criticisms today. He really produced an all round game which he can build on in the AFL rather than being a one trick run with player. Needs to improve his skills a bit but made some good decisions today.
I didn't get a chance to see the game but have really been hopeful that Finn could evolve his game this year to win more of the ball as while he is the best tagger in the AFL, getting Oliver from 30 to 13 and having 4 yourself isn't a skillset needed each week. All the best taggers of the past Cornes, Crowley, Ling, Sheils would get the ball themselves and expose the attacking mids lack of accountability.

However after the Melbourne game I didn't want him to get the ball ever again.

Glad to hear he recovered quickly and he won plenty of ball and mostly disposed of it okay.

If seen him at training and in games sometimes hit some great kicks so he's capable just needs to do it consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back