Review Round 2, 2024: Geelong Cats vs Box Hill Hawks, 30 March 2024, 11.05am @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like general intensity and disposal accuracy are way down for BH compared to last week.

A lot of very scrubby kicks, shanks and just poor decision making.

Hopefully boys can clean it up in the 2nd

Some very interesting umpiring occurring here
Are you referring to Serong being grabbed around the waist and thrown out of the marking contest and then being the one pinged for holding?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Box Hill look very scrappy compared to last week. Missing very easy kicks and fumbling marks. Geelong are playing the ground well (as expected). There's also been about 13 free kicks to 3, some due to their general dominance but definitely some early bias.

Serong has been good in defence. Been our highest ball winner and probably our best ball user.
Phillips some great defensive efforts.
Butler looks very dangerous high half forward.
Reeves getting nullified by a first game VFL ruck but started coming into it late in the quarter.
Maginness linking up well.

Gee 3.5 23
BH 1.2 8

Last edited:
Are you referring to Serong being grabbed around the waist and thrown out of the marking contest and then being the one pinged for holding?

Off the top of my head:

Serong. His reaction said it all.
The Stephens advantage cough then pinged HTB.
Bodie Ryan pinged for a textbook spoil.
BMac "infringement" x 2.
No free to Reeves after he gets pulled down in the ruck.
BH player pinged for dangerous tackle when it wasn't even a swing.

Their dominance in general play will lend itself to favourable decisions but it's been painful.

I’m watching on my phone and only saw the last 10-15 of that quarter, but does the umpiring look like blatant cheating? Saw two of our blokes get held and thrown for a free kick to Geelong, good spoil by us for a free kick to Geelong? I mean, hitting targets and not contesting ourselves would help too.

Am I not seeing it right because of the small screen?

Just blatantly terrible umpiring.

They had a few more shots but none were easy, hopefully with some better field position we can be much more dangerous going forward than them.

Not sure what everyone else saw with Reeves, he was clearly the best ruckman on the ground by a long way.

Gunston getting a bath from a kid so far.

Couple of early frees, have the umpires been told?

Told to stop being s**t? Doubtful, most likely a temporary relapse to good judgement before they give the cats some easy kicks.

Reeves, Butler, and Serong look a class above every player on the ground so far. Reeves has dominated, and his opponent is tiring already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back