General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sagan makes it look so easy, so it easy to be fooled into thinking they could have chased him down, my bad.
Terpstra did look the strongest of the chasing brigade. GVA looked like he was hanging on by a fingernail for most of the chase.
GVA was probably paying the price for being caught behind the early crash, and having to chase hard to get back into the peleton before Arenberg. That said, it's his own silly fault for being caught at the back of the peleton in a race as crash-prone as Roubaix.

GVA was probably paying the price for being caught behind the early crash, and having to chase hard to get back into the peleton before Arenberg. That said, it's his own silly fault for being caught at the back of the peleton in a race as crash-prone as Roubaix.

That would have been a hard crash to avoid given that it happened almost right at the front. But still agree, GVA should have been closer to the front.
Vanmarcke got dragged into it by his team mate, the commentators built him up in a big way both here and at De Ronde, he had nothing but back luck at De Ronde but was a little disappointing in this race, IMO.

I think the bunch gambled on Sagan and it was probably a fair call at the time. He had a small breakaway group to work with and over 55k's to go, the problem in the bunch was no cohesion between the teams with numbers. Burgharts effort to set up Sagan was massive, he did heaps of work to bring the breaks gap from near 5mins down to around a minute before Sagan took off. They must have planned it, it came off, absolutely deserve the win, QS and Sky on other hand with the cards they had were pretty average. The champ just keeps on winning and at 28 has plenty of years to continue the trend. If I was Dillier or anyone in a similar scenario I think I'd be happy to work with him and come 2nd in a race like this, there is no loss coming 2nd to this guy.

Riding in the breakaway at 45kph, still has the ability to fix his own bike, after asking the car to pass him the right size Allen key. Freak.

2309395-48086679-640-360.jpg

I thought Ewan would win his first classic this season- maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bunch gambled on Sagan and it was probably a fair call at the time. He had a small breakaway group to work with and over 55k's to go, the problem in the bunch was no cohesion between the teams with numbers. Burgharts effort to set up Sagan was massive, he did heaps of work to bring the breaks gap from near 5mins down to around a minute before Sagan took off. They must have planned it, it came off, absolutely deserve the win, QS and Sky on other hand with the cards they had were pretty average. The champ just keeps on winning and at 28 has plenty of years to continue the trend. If I was Dillier or anyone in a similar scenario I think I'd be happy to work with him and come 2nd in a race like this, there is no loss coming 2nd to this guy.
I did enjoy the cohesive way sky crashed out last year in paris roubaix: It was a day where you could have easily have made a hero of yourself eg the bloke who put on a burst at the end of the trench but nobody seemed intent to really race like the devil was on their ass!

Will be an interesting GT season this year with the reduction in team numbers.
Dumoulin won the Giro last year on the back of braining all the contenders by 2 minutes+ in the individual time trial so they made the course more suited to climbers this year.
Sky have the next big thing (IMO) in Bernal but he is skipping the Giro this year.
Mitchelton Scott have a pretty good lineup for the Giro but none of them have shown any great form so far this year.

Will be interesting to see Froome vs Dumoulin.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to Froome post-race, when his salbutamol case finally gets sorted out. The Giro's race organiser is desperate to avoid a repeat of 2011, when Contador was stripped of his Giro victory. He wants the UCI President to guarantee the result, with any Froome suspension starting after the Giro. The UCI promptly put him back in his box, noting that the UCI President doesn't have the power to determine when a rider's suspension (and loss of results) starts & finishes.

Dumoulin can't match Froome on the climbs but Froome can match Dumoulin in the time trials.

Froome didn't look as invincible without a hundred team mates around him, the contenders looked like they were getting isolated pretty easily from their teams so far this season..
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Froome hasn't gained time in the mountains in the last 2 years, all of his time gains have been in the ITTs. That said, Dumoulin has lost time in the mountains on a few occasions - he's also gained time there as well. Dumoulin has Froome well and truly covered in the ITTs, which should add significant spice to the mountain battles.

Unfortunately, it's looks like being a repeat of 2011. I can't see Froome winning his salbutamol case, in which case he'll lose the 2017 Vuelta and the 2018 Giro victories (assuming he wins the Giro).

Froome looked ordinary in the Tour of the Alps, no doubt his main goal will be the TDF, so he might not be fully wound up yet, still not convinced Dumoulin can win it again.
The Kiwi George Bennett ran into some form lately, wouldn't mind seeing him do well.
If he wants to win the TDF it's hard to understand him doing the Giro. I can't remember the last person to win the Tour after doing the Giro.

Froome probably wins this tbh. Hopefully Dumoulin, Pinot and Chavez make sure it doesn't go all his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants to win the TDF it's hard to understand him doing the Giro. I can't remember the last person to win the Tour after doing the Giro.

Froome probably wins this tbh. Hopefully Dumoulin, Pinot and Chavez make sure it doesn't go all his way.

Pantani would have been the last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$2million in appearance fees can be persuasive. Unfortunately for the organisers it was agreed to before the doping case blew up.

Sky are not the team they used to be and the thing about the Giro is the weather can get shocking at times and bike skills are a big advantage. If I was a bookie I would be taking all bets thrown at me for Froome, I just don't see him winning this. Yates was the big surprise from last night and Greenedge probably have the strongest mountains squad here, they will be looking for time bonuses in the hills to offset the TT.

Congratulations to Rohan Dennis, the new leader of the Giro d'Italia. On Friday night he finished 2nd in the prologue ITT, just 2 seconds behind World Champion Dumoulin. Last night he "stole" a 3-second time bonus, in an intermediate spring, moving him into the outright lead.

Dennis now has a complete set of leaders jerseys, with one from each of the Grand Tours. He led the TDF for 1 day in 2015, after winning the prologue TT. He led the 2017 Vuelta for 1 day, after BMC won the TTT. Tonight he will wear the maglia rosa. Only 3 other current riders have worn all 3 jerseys - Cavendish, Nibali, and Aru.

Congratulations to Rohan Dennis, the new leader of the Giro d'Italia. On Friday night he finished 2nd in the prologue ITT, just 2 seconds behind World Champion Dumoulin. Last night he "stole" a 3-second time bonus, in an intermediate spring, moving him into the outright lead.

Dennis now has a complete set of leaders jerseys, with one from each of the Grand Tours. He led the TDF for 1 day in 2015, after winning the prologue TT. He led the 2017 Vuelta for 1 day, after BMC won the TTT. Tonight he will wear the maglia rosa. Only 3 other current riders have worn all 3 jerseys - Cavendish, Nibali, and Aru.

He has to be the first rider in history to lead more GT's than he's finished. (3 to 2).

Do you have a VPN? RAI actually have a legal stream, but it's geoblocked, so you have to make your computer think it's in Italy. Do that, and the stream quality is pretty good. The only catch is that the commentary is in Italian.
No, unfortunately. How do I get one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back