Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I've read about Sally Freeman makes me think she was appointed to check a box and has no real love for the MFC. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the vibe I get.

Peter Lawrence seems like he might be a bit of a nutter but at least he's a nutter who's passionate about the Dees.
Yeah. Googling the candidates gave me the same impression.

We could do with a member advocate. The board have done a great job with the on-field stuff, but the off-field stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

Off field stuff like what? And why would you want a nutter just because they’re a Dees fan lol
Off field stuff like dealing with members (which, in my experience, has been terrible) or the family day, which took as dive as soon as Jackson left.

I'd like to see the sort of member engagement that happened when Stynes was president. If he was able to do it then, I can't see why it can't be done now.

BTW, I didn't say I'd vote for him just because he's a fan. Not sure how you got that impression. I said we could do with a member advocate.

Off field stuff like dealing with members (which, in my experience, has been terrible) or the family day, which took as dive as soon as Jackson left.

I'd like to see the sort of member engagement that happened when Stynes was president. If he was able to do it then, I can't see why it can't be done now.

BTW, I didn't say I'd vote for him just because he's a fan. Not sure how you got that impression. I said we could do with a member advocate.
Sorry, was referring to the other post re: the dees fan.

Yeah ok, I haven’t had any bad experience with member services personally. In fact, they were helpful for me sorting WA tickets and re-homing those member badges. In terms of engagement, I think the social media has been the best it’s been. Depends on your experience I guess, but it feels like off-field is humming to me.

Sorry, was referring to the other post re: the dees fan.

Yeah ok, I haven’t had any bad experience with member services personally. In fact, they were helpful for me sorting WA tickets and re-homing those member badges. In terms of engagement, I think the social media has been the best it’s been. Depends on your experience I guess, but it feels like off-field is humming to me.
For board members, I think being passionate about the club should be a prerequisite. I dislike having board members who are there more for padding their own resume and making connections than because they love the club.

For board members, I think being passionate about the club should be a prerequisite. I dislike having board members who are there more for padding their own resume and making connections than because they love the club.
I agree to an extent, and think for some roles, e.g. President, having someone whose really loves the club is important. But overall I think it's important the board be competent and have people who know what they're doing running the club. If that means choosing some members who aren't Dees fans, or big footy fans in general, so be it.

The Board is honorary.

The football club is not a charitable organisation.

Given that I don’t understand what the attraction is, and where the drive will come from to contribute, for someone who isn’t first and foremost passionate about the club.

I also question their motives - not that simply supporting Melbourne means the person’s motives are 100% pure. It seems Sally Freeman isn’t a Melbourne supporter (as her bio is silent on it) so it’s interesting she’s involved. I used to work where she was a Partner and she had a very senior role and seemed well respected and competent. She is very experienced and would have lots of knowledge about the business world, best practice corporate governance and risk management to contribute.

Employees are paid, that’s where you definitely need competence, and the football club the employee supports should be irrelevant.

The Board shouldn’t be making day to day decisions, they are there to set high level direction and govern the club in line with that direction and to comply with laws etc. At AFL level the Board is often about connection into sponsors and other influential bodies like governments.

I have a friend to was looking at getting onto a Melbourne based AFL club’s Board. He had a couple of discussions with existing board members (not of Melbourne, of the other club) and was so underwhelmed he didn’t want to be part of it. My friend is a CEO of a reasonably well known company so he’s no mug.

I have a friend to was looking at getting onto a Melbourne based AFL club’s Board. He had a couple of discussions with existing board members (not of Melbourne, of the other club) and was so underwhelmed he didn’t want to be part of it. My friend is a CEO of a reasonably well known company so he’s no mug.
sounds like it was Carlton to me :p

I’m so incredibly relaxed about the footy atm. Hugely enjoying the AFLW, looking forward to R1 of the men’s comp and being top dogs, and I fully expect - rather than just hope - to win the minor premiership and be huge favourites coke finals. Have basically zero concerns with how the side will function this year relative to normal preseasons.

A great place to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a strange reaction to the board elections. You'd think she'd welcome the interest... or at least pretend.
Last year really opened my eyes as to how anti-democratic most club administrators are.

Hey guys happy New Year!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this - I am taking the family to Melbourne for a few days and me and my daughter (Tiger fan) want to see the Anzac Eve game. Now because I live in Tassie, I haven't been to the MCG for over 20 years. Anyway, my questions:

1. When did tickets for that game go on sale?
2. Easiest way to purchase said tickets? (Not currently a member, I think daughter is a junior member).
3. Best seats to sit in that are neutral and not full of drunk idiots?
4. Best way to get to and from MCG, probably will stay in a hotel in the city.
5. Anything else I need to know about attending footy at the MCG?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys happy New Year!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this - I am taking the family to Melbourne for a few days and me and my daughter (Tiger fan) want to see the Anzac Eve game. Now because I live in Tassie, I haven't been to the MCG for over 20 years. Anyway, my questions:

2. Easiest way to purchase said tickets? (Not currently a member, I think daughter is a junior member).

Thanks in advance.
I think tickets become available on the week of the game and purchase through ticketek, you can do this through the AFL site. Not sure if you can avoid the drunken idiots, I would go the Olympic stand only because that area is newer than the great Southern stand, seats seem a little bit more leg room to. Probably a train from Flinders St to jolimont or Richmond station or a tram straight down Flinders St/Wellington parade to jolimont. Maybe get in early might be a big crowd.

Hey guys happy New Year!

Thanks in advance.
Happy new year. I see most of your questions have been dealt with already by mrmonkey. I mostly tend to sit in the Olympic stand at ground level - it generally has a couple of ‘dry’ sections if you want to limit your exposure to the disturbing end of drunkenness. Or somewhere around the cheer squad is probably safe. They have there own version of weird but it’s not the drunk lout variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back