news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive shame DJ isn't a draw because the guy is one of the best we've ever seen, and actually pretty charismatic IMO.

I'm a Conor fan but really wish they would spread the love with promoting guys a bit more that are worth and not put all their eggs in the Rousey/McGregor basket.

Massive shame DJ isn't a draw because the guy is one of the best we've ever seen, and actually pretty charismatic IMO.
In 5-10 years he'll be spoken about as a great in the mainstream. Although the 'real' fans rate him, the new fans still don't rate anyone under 155 unless it's Conor.

He will be remembered as a great of the sport & lorded as such in the future by all fans of MMA. Pity for them they aren't ready to afford him that credit now but they will talk as if they did in years to come.

mousassi keeps bringing up steroids trying to promote his fight with belfort and he only last's two minutes

bisping calling out gsp and calling him a pussy.

bisping saying alvarez will destroy conor if they fight

Do UFC often sell tickets before any fights have been announced? I'm buggered if I know, I don't monitor ticket sales for events outside Australia.

I just got an email reminder saying the tickets for the Fight Night at Rod Laver go on sale next week. Can we expect fights to be announced in the next 11 days or so? Or will they sell tickets without any fights announced?

* me!

That's a much, much better fight than I thought we'd get! I really thought we'd get Whittaker vs a similarly ranked guy as the main event.

I was only going to get a cheap seat this time. I might have to reconsider that... Thanks for posting.

**** me!

That's a much, much better fight than I thought we'd get! I really thought we'd get Whittaker vs a similarly ranked guy as the main event.

I was only going to get a cheap seat this time. I might have to reconsider that... Thanks for posting.
I was thinking about giving it a miss this time but ill most likely go.

Wonder what type of ticket prices will be... im expecting it to be fairly expensive.

I was thinking about giving it a miss this time but ill most likely go.

Wonder what type of ticket prices will be... im expecting it to be fairly expensive.
Get that ticket. If I was in Melbourne I'd defo lash out on some tickets. Shaping up to be a really good event. Hopefully it's on in our evening.

Get that ticket. If I was in Melbourne I'd defo lash out on some tickets. Shaping up to be a really good event. Hopefully it's on in our evening.
Yeh i probably will.. i paid $350 ish for 193 and was disappointed with how much i could see. Basically found myself looking at the screen the whole time. Still no regrets.

Yeh i probably will.. i paid $350 ish for 193 and was disappointed with how much i could see. Basically found myself looking at the screen the whole time. Still no regrets.

Really? That's so disappointing, I'm really sorry to hear that. I had the second highest category for 193 - I was in the 3rd row of the second bay (on the floor), so maybe 70 metres from the cage?

My view was incredible up until the main event when noobs and arseholes thought it was ok to stand in the walk way up against the barrier. (I did laugh though when security started pissing people off at the start of the second round, there were dozens of people who didn't even see the Rousey knockout.)

I'll be intrigued to see what those front non-floor seats are worth. Having seen tennis and WWE at Rod Laver, I think those first few rows side on are going to give an incredible view. I suspect they'll probably end up in the 2nd category and cost around (or more than) $250, which I won't spend again this year - but if they somehow end up as category 3 seats in the $150-170 range I could absolutely justify that.

edit: now that I think about it, it might be worth trying to find a WWE seating map. I'm sure the prices will be different, but it might give a good idea of how they'll categorise the seating.

2nd edit: Here was the WWE seating map from the 2015 tour. The bays I'm referring to are 6-8 and 18-20.

sfx137615-RLA.gif

Really? That's so disappointing, I'm really sorry to hear that. I had the second highest category for 193 - I was in the 3rd row of the second bay (on the floor), so maybe 70 metres from the cage?

My view was incredible up until the main event when noobs and arseholes thought it was ok to stand in the walk way up against the barrier. (I did laugh though when security started pissing people off at the start of the second round, there were dozens of people who didn't even see the Rousey knockout.)

I'll be intrigued to see what those front non-floor seats are worth. Having seen tennis and WWE at Rod Laver, I think those first few rows side on are going to give an incredible view. I suspect they'll probably end up in the 2nd category and cost around (or more than) $250, which I won't spend again this year - but if they somehow end up as category 3 seats in the $150-170 range I could absolutely justify that.

edit: now that I think about it, it might be worth trying to find a WWE seating map. I'm sure the prices will be different, but it might give a good idea of how they'll categorise the seating.

2nd edit: Here was the WWE seating map from the 2015 tour. The bays I'm referring to are 6-8 and 18-20.

sfx137615-RLA.gif
Yeh i was basically half way up the level one on the wing.. i could still see everything fine but at that distance it looked like every punch landed, so it was hard to know what was really happening in the stand up.

I still had good seats and could see everything but i think at that distance the price was fairly steep.

Id be looking at the same seats as you.. i reckon its going to sell out pretty ******* quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing a few rumors of our boy Rob vs the spider in melbourne! :eek:

Probably the best match up for him of those ranked higher. Actually belfort is a better match up.

Thales Leites would be an interesting challenge for Rob as well.

Though, yeah, I'm sure he wants a crack at one of the top few guys now.

For just a second there I was trying to figure out who 'our boy Rob' is. For some reason the first name that popped into my head was Robbie Lawler. I was like yeah Lawler vs Anderson Silva would be interesting.

Then I realised it's Whittaker. That'd be a good fight. I like Whittaker, but if that fight happens I'll be rooting for Anderson. Old man Anderson knocking out Whittaker in his home country would be something.

For just a second there I was trying to figure out who 'our boy Rob' is. For some reason the first name that popped into my head was Robbie Lawler. I was like yeah Lawler vs Anderson Silva would be interesting.

Then I realised it's Whittaker. That'd be a good fight. I like Whittaker, but if that fight happens I'll be rooting for Anderson. Old man Anderson knocking out Whittaker in his home country would be something.
giphy.gif

Probably the best match up for him of those ranked higher. Actually belfort is a better match up.

s**t. My wallet is desperately, desperately hoping this doesn't happen!

The small amount I was hoping to pay for a cheap ticket already escalated with the main event announcement. If we get Spider as well I'm already back to the 2nd tier category that I stumped up something like $250 for last year.

Does anyone here have a Fight Club membership?

If Whittaker vs Silva is announced before Monday I'm considering buying it, and the 2 PPVs that you can get on the top package (along with the backpack) kind of make it worthwhile.

I have a total noob question though - is it an annual membership, or is it just a one-off payment? If it's only once off, if they're going to be annual tours, and if you're going to get the 2 PPVs (which I assume I could get through the Apple TV app?), it would seem like pretty reasonable value.

And if either Rockhold or Jacare gets injured, one or the other can step up and keep the card intact

I like Silva/Whittaker quite a lot. It's much better than Silva/Hall imo. I'm glad that fight didn't happen even though the circumstances behind it not taking place weren't great for Silva.

Whittaker has some real potential to be a top fighter. Hall doesn't imo. It'd be nice if he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it with Hall. He'll pull some crazy KO out of his arse every 3+ fights. Then he'll basically stand around and wait for the entire 15 minutes in others. The UFC seem to want him to be something though. Why else would they have booked him against Silva?

Hall's fighting Brunson this weekend. Hope Brunson runs through him. Some people hate on Brunson because he's won a couple of fights with his 'boring' wrestling. Brunson's in entertaining fights more often than Hall if you ask me.

The main reason why Hall pisses me off is the stupid s**t he said after Rousey lost. It was something about people on the internet hating on Rousey being like terrorists. What the *?

Werdum's 3 flying side kick starts to fights (Sandstorm adds a nice touch):

Last edited:
Anyone seen the pic of the eye poke on Werdum?

CsDoFb5WgAAP8Tq.jpg

How deep is that?

Rivera might also have to have eye surgery as a result of a poke he got in the Faber fight. Said he couldn't see out of that eye for the entire last round and his vision still hasn't 100% returned.

They were talking about this and possible solutions on JRE a few podcasts ago. Some people say the Pride style gloves will make a difference, though those aren't as ideal for grappling etc. I think they just need to be much harsher as far as taking points go for eye pokes, fighters will correct their technique pretty quickly in that case.

I just hope they do it before a really ugly situation occurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back