news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that haven't seen the fight, this is why people are claiming it as a fix. Chael fell back looking for the guillotine just after this (like he did against Shogun), Tito passed to half guard, popped his head out, got to mount and it was over very quickly after that.

Yep. Have checked out a few videos. Nothing in it. Yeah Chael put in a s**t effort but there is no way it was fixed. Makes no sense

not sure is fixed but the company puts a sour taste in my mouth when watching they put on fights between fighters who shouldn't be in the cage anymore
This is true and it sucks. However, it's the way combat sports is. You generally need to fight for years and years before becoming really popular. Then to cash in on that popularity you keep fighting a lot longer than it makes sense to. So much about combat sports is awful, including this.

Bellator get great ratings when they put on these crappy fights between old guys. I'd rather watch the very good fighters they have on their roster, but most MMA fans don't care for that. So we get what draws and it's pretty horrible.

I guess a positive is that Bellator match up the old broken down fighters against each other. In the UFC the old fighters get fed to younger fighters. Penn fighting Rodriguez was a waste of time. It would have been better if Penn was fighting someone in a similar position to him.

The UFC would put on these fights that Bellator do if they needed to. They can afford to skip these fights and present themselves as the caring, compassionate promotion. The only time I can recall them being that is when they got Chuck Liddell to stop fighting and that's because he's a good friend of Dana White. Aside from that, they're willing to let you fight more than you should too, but to a lesser extent than Bellator. Penn, Joe Riggs, Big Nog, and Bigfoot Silva are a few off the top of my head who really shouldn't have been competing in the UFC for as long as they were/are.

The difference is. After McGregor beat Aldo there was no one worthy of a title shot, you have an old Edgar, Holloway who hasn't firmed, Aldo rematch who has just shown how pathetic he is and that's it. Whereas Woodley has Thompson, Maia, Lawler, Condit and a couple of others who are worthy of shots.

The two are completely different. McGregor had cleaned out a division after working his way up. Woodley had waited a year or more for a title shot which clearly leads to more contenders being in the woodwork.

I gave the fight as a draw with one 10-8 round. But can definitely back those who said Thompson won. If anyone WON the fight it was Thompson.

I'm glad the rematch is booked in. Hoping Wonderboy can finish what he started.
You named 3 potential McGregor title defences and 4 for Woodley. What's funny is that there's a lot of similarities between the two divisions' potential title challengers that you want to dismiss. Edgar is similar to Maia. Edgar's old. Maia's older. Aldo's similar to Lawler in that they both got brutally KO'd by the champion. Thompson and Holloway were both on very impressive winning streaks. Nobody was worthy of a title shot at FW but they were at WW? That makes no sense given the similarities between the two divisions' potential title challengers.

McGregor had not cleaned out the division. He had just won the title FFS. Saying that he cleaned out the division is laughable. He hadn't fought Edgar and he fought Holloway a long time ago. Even if he had beat all the top 5 fighters once, he still wouldn't have cleaned out the division. You need to win rematches and to reign as champion for a a number of fights to have cleaned out a division. What's next? You'll try telling me Cody Garbrandt's cleaned out BW?

I watched the fight again. How the hell could Thompson have won? Round 4 was a clear 10-8 for Woodley. Round 1 was also clearly Woodley's. If Thompson was to win he needed a 10-8 and none of his rounds were close to 10-8s.

My score after watching the fight a 2nd time:
Round 1: Woodley 10-9
Round 2: Thompson 10-9
Round 3: 10-10
Round 4: Woodley 10-8
Round 5: Thompson 10-9
Woodley 48-47

Now I'm more sure of the scoring of each round. I think round 1 is a clear 10-9. Very dominant but not quite enough to be 10-8. Round 2 seems pretty clearly Thompson's 10-9 on rewatch. Round 3 is extremely close. I thought it was even, but judges don't like giving 10-10s and I think it could easily go either way. Round 4 is clearly a 10-8. Round 5 is a clear 10-9 for Thompson.

I have no idea how you score it for Thompson. At best he won 3 rounds, all 10-9s. He clearly lost 2 rounds with one being a 10-8. At best for Thompson it was a draw.

Thompson can finish what he started? The guy who nearly got knocked out and submitted, and at best got a draw isn't finishing what he started. Funny thing is if McGregor was in Woodley's position after a fight like this you'd be calling Thompson a boring point fighter or something.

Last edited:
You named 3 potential McGregor title defences and 4 for Woodley. What's funny is that there's a lot of similarities between the two divisions' potential title challengers that you want to dismiss. Edgar is similar to Maia. Edgar's old. Maia's older. Aldo's similar to Lawler in that they both got brutally KO'd by the champion. Thompson and Holloway were both on very impressive winning streaks. Nobody was worthy of a title shot at FW but they were at WW? That makes no sense given the similarities between the two divisions' potential title challengers.

McGregor had not cleaned out the division. He had just won the title FFS. Saying that he cleaned out the division is laughable. He hadn't fought Edgar and he fought Holloway a long time ago. Even if he had beat all the top 5 fighters once, he still wouldn't have cleaned out the division. You need to win rematches and to reign as champion for a a number of fights to have cleaned out a division. What's next? You'll try telling me Cody Garbrandt's cleaned out BW?

I watched the fight again. How the hell could Thompson have won? Round 4 was a clear 10-8 for Woodley. Round 1 was also clearly Woodley's. If Thompson was to win he needed a 10-8 and none of his rounds were close to 10-8s.

My score after watching the fight a 2nd time:
Round 1: Woodley 10-9
Round 2: Thompson 10-9
Round 3: 10-10
Round 4: Woodley 10-8
Round 5: Thompson 10-9
Woodley 48-47

Now I'm more sure of the scoring of each round. I think round 1 is a clear 10-9. Very dominant but not quite enough to be 10-8. Round 2 seems pretty clearly Thompson's 10-9 on rewatch. Round 3 is extremely close. I thought it was even, but judges don't like giving 10-10s and I think it could easily go either way. Round 4 is clearly a 10-8. Round 5 is a clear 10-9 for Thompson.

I have no idea how you score it for Thompson. At best he won 3 rounds, all 10-9s. He clearly lost 2 rounds with one being a 10-8. At best for Thompson it was a draw.

Thompson can finish what he started? The guy who nearly got knocked out and submitted, and at best got a draw isn't finishing what he started. Funny thing is if McGregor was in Woodley's position after a fight like this you'd be calling Thompson a boring point fighter or something.
I dont agree that there were "3 potential McGregor title defences" as I stated in my post I don't consider any of those fights as legitimately earned at the point of McGregor's win. McGregor isn't going to wait 6 months for a fight so Aldo is off the table (Note this fight was offered and Aldo turned it down). Edgar.. Edgar is the most worthy of a shot, but that isn't saying much. It's not like he was demanding a title call out, he was kind of just there.. and Holloway was still one or two wins away. The way to book the title matches if the UFC had of worked with McGregor and if he wanted to stay at FW would be. Aldo v Edgar and Holloway v Pettis (or any other top 6/8 FW) in close proximity. Then you fight the winners off and that winner is the official No.1 who fights McGregor (no need for interim belt crap). In the mean time, McGregor has a free 6 months plus off to fight a fight of his choosing (which he has earned being the most drawing and one of (if not the) best fighter in the UFC currently and he fights Alvarez.

If the UFC hadn't of ****ed up by jumping the gun and getting impatient (pending if McGregor would have gone down) we should be prepping for an Aldo v Holloway match now to be followed by a McGregor super fight v Diaz/LW Contender or Woodley. After that it's a FW defence against Holloway or Aldo.

As for the Woodley v Thompson fight i'll have to watch it again. But regardless it was a close match and worthy of a rematch. Completely different to say Aldo v McGregor. And as for Lawler and Aldo comparisons, those situations are quite different. KO's happen. It's the manner in which they happen that is relevant. A 13 second knock out on the first combination is a completely different win to a fight that has actually had some action going on in it before a knock out eventually happens. Woodley and Lawler met in a cage and fought until Woodley got a knock out.. Aldo got knocked out the second he stepped in. There wasn't even a fight. Now you may say that means Aldo is more deserving.. if you think those kind of things are "lucky" i personally don't but that is an argument.

Thats what it boils down to really. It's just my opinion but I think the FW division had more settling and figuring out to do before a fight worthy of being for the belt happened. Whereas I think Lawler had legitimate rematch credentials and Wonderboy was worth of a shot regardless. If you take Maia, Condit etc out. In my mind that's still 0 v 2 matchup's for the belt in the respective divisions that you could have made immediately after each fighter respectively won them.

Oh and also I consider McGregor's Aldo win to be a form of title defence, as he was already an interim champion after Aldo pulled out and the actual defeat of Aldo was a merely a formality that was inevitable. In that way. McGregor had two matchup's at the top vs Woodley's one (prior to the draw) both of which McGregor won convincingly and therefore I believe you can say McGregor had cleaned out the division, whereas Woodley, certainly had not.

Nunes isn't McGregor.. like it or leave it. Mac is the biggest guy in the sport and rightfully plays by different rules.

Im actually a fan of McGregor and not the biggest of Nunes (outside the cage).

If you're looking at it from the "who gives a stuff about the rules?" angle, why is there an issue for Nunes to get a shot?

Im actually a fan of McGregor and not the biggest of Nunes (outside the cage).

If you're looking at it from the "who gives a stuff about the rules?" angle, why is there an issue for Nunes to get a shot?
I dont have an issue with her getting a shot. I reckon she should because that featherweight belt without cyborg will be a bit of a joke.

But if she doesn't get one it's no sweat off my back. She's not big enough to justify breaking the rules.

I hope to see the Aussie Invicta FW champ come across and figure in UFC womens FW contention. Personally, I think Nunes should worry about her own division first. Shevchenko will give her problems this time around, and the divisions depth is looking pretty healthy in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think anyone backed him in the Camozzi fight. I love Dan he's won me so much money I'll back him one more time.

Also Suga hasn't fought in like 35 years...
Ill never count the guy out. Got so much heart and if he can win it will be an awessome platform for him to raise awareness for his son.

If anyone deserves success, its Dan.

Read a couple of good articles recently.

This one's a good technical analysis of Masvidal/Cerrone by Jack Slack: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/masvidal-vs-cerrone-controlling-the-inside-line

Masvidal raising his lead leg constantly was something I noticed. I really should have realised how great it was at stopping Cerrone from hitting Masvidal with his devastating intercepting knee.

This one's an interview with 4 of ATT's boxing coaches: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/3...ould-mma-finest-feature-ufc-american-top-team

I really liked this because I haven't really heard much about striking coaches at ATT. I guess they're content keeping a low profile. Mark Henry generally keeps a low profile and Brandon Gibson does too, but I've heard plenty about them. Weirdly I haven't heard all that much about ATT striking coaches prior to reading this.

All 4 of them say interesting things. The last interview with Dr. Paul Gavoni was the most interesting of the 4 to me. I really liked him mentioning how having your hands up isn't always necessary. He mentions that Rogan always says a fighter needs their hands up and that Rogan's deeply knowledgeable. When it comes to grappling he is. Rogan's understanding of striking isn't that great. He probably understands Taekwondo techniques and the application of those techniques in MMA very well, but outside of that his striking analysis is quite lacking.

Rogan did one of his fight night podcasts when Holloway fought Oliveira. I didn't listen to it but I recall people mentioning that Rogan said Oliveira is the more technical striker. That baffled me but it's no doubt down to the fact that Oliveira emplys a high guard when he fights. Rogan seems to think that anyone who doesn't have their hands glued to their head is making big defensive mistakes when competing in MMA. I don't get it.

Looks like the UFC have cut a lot of fighters recently. Ali Bagautinov and Zach Makovsky got cut, which makes no sense to me. Flyweight has some good fighters at the top of the division, but the division isn't deep. So they cut a couple of good Flyweights in a division that doesn't have that many fighters. Really don't get these cuts.

Ryan Bader seems like he's going to Bellator. Good for him if he's getting paid well and hopefully he is. Bader sat between the elite fighters and the bad fighters at LHW in the UFC. He got crushed by the best in the division but beat everyone else (except for his loss to Ortiz, it's still hard to believe that happened).

Looks like Misha Cirkunov could be leaving the UFC too. That's one of the very few good LHW prospects at the moment and he might be leaving. The UFC's LHW division is terrible now, without Cirkunov and Bader it gets even worse.

Lorenz Larkin looks like he could be gone. Rick Story too.

Taylor Lapilus and Erik Perez may be leaving the organisation. It'd be weird if the UFC is fine letting them go.

Seo Hee Ham's another cut I don't get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back