news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it should be a decent fight going on the highlights. Hope Lance can stay clear of Scott's elbows as they looked vicious! Fingers crossed he picks up the win.

Interesting to see the step up from his afc fights to this one, dropped down a division as well i believe

Interesting to see the step up from his afc fights to this one, dropped down a division as well i believe

Looks to be going OK for him so far.

Like how patient he's been when he's rocked Scott. I did think he could have had a highlight reel KO if he'd followed one of thos right hands with a left hook, but that's easy for me to say from the couch.:D

Wow, very impressive! Very clean striking and a fantastic get up after being taken down in the second. His uppercut and snap kick were particularly impressive. Is he looking to make it big in MMA?

Ooh Kai Kara France up next, this should be fun!

My wife was cringing next to me when he landed the knockout, so clean.

He always talked about it going as far as he can, eats sleeps and breathes Fighting. Had a knee injury which caused the long layoff.

Nicest bloke you will ever meet but watching him fight im glad we are friends :p

My wife was cringing next to me when he landed the knockout, so clean.

He always talked about it going as far as he can, eats sleeps and breathes Fighting. Had a knee injury which caused the long layoff.

Nicest bloke you will ever meet but watching him fight im glad we are friends :p

Fingers crossed he can stay healthy and get a good run at it then. At 29 he's got time on his side and if he can stay busy and keep on winning he'd be a chance to get a call up for a UFC card with his fan friendly style. I'll certainly keep an eye out for him on future cards.

Fingers crossed he can stay healthy and get a good run at it then. At 29 he's got time on his side and if he can stay busy and keep on winning he'd be a chance to get a call up for a UFC card with his fan friendly style. I'll certainly keep an eye out for him on future cards.

One day he might even fight on a day when im not busy so i can go.

Great KO by Kara France. Marques fought a great fight up to that point though, just let Kai inside once too often.

Jim Crute looks a likely prospect. He did muscle his takedown a bit and his striking was a bit rough, but his ground control looked very advanced for a 21 year old and he packs some real power.

Great KO by Kara France. Marques fought a great fight up to that point though, just let Kai inside once too often.

Jim Crute looks a likely prospect. He did muscle his takedown a bit and his striking was a bit rough, but his ground control looked very advanced for a 21 year old and he packs some real power.

Hex are running a performance of the night bonus on their facebook, if you get a second and want to vote for my boy lance that would be awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yoel wants to fill in for Kelvin against Anderson on the proviso that it's for an interim title.

No chance of that happening, IMO. They only give out Interim titles to contenders that are crowd favourites.

I'd hate to think what Yoel would do to old man Anderson. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

One thing I read earlier today and agreed with is having Anderson and Vitor fight again on the Rio card. Both guys have looked shadows of their former selves lately, but it would no doubt sell in Rio and is a fan friendly fight.

Gastelum loses his fight with Anderson over weed. There's a positive to come out of this at least. We don't have to see Gastelum destroy an old man. Yay.

Will Gastelum also lose his win over Belfort? Maybe? Probably? I don't know.

Glad to see USADA is cleaning up the sport! :rolleyes:

Whether or not USADA is successfully cleaning up the sport is irrelevant in this case - it's weed, I can't believe anyone still gives a s**t. I'm tipping that if you asked fighters, journalists and fans, most of them wouldn't.

Yoel wants to fill in for Kelvin against Anderson on the proviso that it's for an interim title.

No chance of that happening, IMO. They only give out Interim titles to contenders that are crowd favourites.
Do you sell PPV's?
No - You need to earn a shot.
Yes - Have you been choke out recently? Yes.
- Did you manage to win a controversial rematch whilst refusing to defend a title?
-- Yes.
--- Should you get a shot? No.
---- You have qualified for an interim title fight, please punch the closest potato.

Gastelum loses his fight with Anderson over weed. There's a positive to come out of this at least. We don't have to see Gastelum destroy an old man. Yay.

Will Gastelum also lose his win over Belfort? Maybe? Probably? I don't know.

Glad to see USADA is cleaning up the sport! :rolleyes:
To be fair on usada, it was the Brazil commission that conducted the test. I can't think of any weed positive tests conducted by usada recently.

To be fair on usada, it was the Brazil commission that conducted the test. I can't think of any weed positive tests conducted by usada recently.
Where did you see it was the Brazilian commission?

I saw this:
Kelvin Gastelum has been pulled from his UFC 212 fight against Anderson Silva after potentially testing positive for marijuana metabolites in an in-competition drug test conducted by USADA
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/6...or-marijuana-pulled-from-anderson-silva-fight

http://ufc.usada.org/testing/results/sanctions/

27 fighters are including on this sanctions list. 25 of the 27 fighters got in trouble out of competition. 4 of the 27 involve in competition issues. Lesnar and Tibau popped both in and out of competition.

Of the 4 in competition issues, 2 of them involved weed. Once Gastelum appears on the list it'll be 3/5 involving weed. Brandao got suspended for 9 months for weed. Diaz got a warning for admitting use at that post-fight press conference. Maybe it's a good sign for Gastelum that Diaz didn't really receive any punishment as that's more recent than the Brandao one. Probably not because Brandao tested positive and Diaz didn't. 9 months and the Belfort win getting overturned seems the most likely punishment to me.

Whether or not USADA is successfully cleaning up the sport is irrelevant in this case - it's weed, I can't believe anyone still gives a s**t. I'm tipping that if you asked fighters, journalists and fans, most of them wouldn't.
I agree with you on weed. There will be dorks out there that will say "well it's in the rules" (I've seen this on twitter already actually). Like that means anything. The rules are s**t and pointing to the rules as a justification is laughable to me.

I can't believe anyone cares either. Well I guess I can seeing as some people want people locked up for possessing small amounts of weed (or any drug for that matter).

I don't know if it's irrelevant regarding USADA cleaning up the sport though. They'll be using resources on this Gastelum case that could be better used in pretty much any way to actually clean up the sport.

I haven't been in favour of the USADA deal since it started. I don't really think the UFC gives a s**t about cleaning up the sport. This USADA deal makes it look like they do but really it's just for appearances and to even further push the balance of power away from fighters. Plus, as I've seen Luke Thomas state, where is the data that USADA has cleaned up the sport in any way?

Tim Kennedy had a tester watch him shower and Frankie Edgar had one watch him chuck a crap. A lot of fans won't have any problem with this because they'll say as long as the sport is being cleaned up who cares. They probably think USADA isn't doing enough. They'd probably be in favour of fighters being tested daily. "As long as it's cleaning up the sport, who cares what the fighters have to put up with".

At least a UFC fighter hasn't had to put up with anything as ****ed up as this:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ted-while-making-funeral-arrangements-his-son

Forgot to point this out. Brandao popped for weed. He got 9 months but he could reduce it by a month:

Brandao is eligible for an additional one-month reduction in sanction length pending the satisfactory completion of an approved anti-doping educational program.
http://ufc.usada.org/diego-brandao-accepts-doping-sanction/

hahahahahahaha

USADA also made sure to point out that Brandao would lose results, be disqualified from results, etc. Unless they've changed their tune recently or unless Gastelum has a good excuse, seems to me like he'll no longer be the official winner in his bout with Belfort. Probably get a suspension too.

What a joke if this all happens to Gastelum over some weed.

Well, I guess Machida did get 18 months for something he could get at a supermarket. So, they may as well go after weed use too I guess.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back