General Problems Thread - 2016 onwards

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure where to ask this, so having a go here:) I have internet explorer on my oldish P C at home, also Firefox. And am getting used to FF so will probably go onto that fully soon. The computer keeps telling me to download Chrome. Should I ? Is there any benefit? Better than Firefox? Thanks .

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thank you . I am gradually changing a few sites over to Firefox, as in FB, BF some banking and email provider. I do like using it. Just don"t know anything re Chrome yet. Will give it a go. :).

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Anyone powershell gurus? In the 1st example I select 4 fields and they appear as a table. As soon as I add a 5th, the output format changes. How can I return more than 5 fields and have them appear like the first result set?

Also, how can I do maths in the last example to convert FreeSpace and Capacity in GB? I tried in the SELECT query on line 1 and in the Select-Object on Line 2 and both returned syntax errors

Code:
$wql = "SELECT * FROM Win32_Volume WHERE FileSystem='NTFS' AND Name LIKE '[A-Z]%'"
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize

Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize, FileSystem

Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, FreeSpace, Capacity

posh-wmi-1.JPG

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone powershell gurus? In the 1st example I select 4 fields and they appear as a table. As soon as I add a 5th, the output format changes. How can I return more than 5 fields and have them appear like the first result set?

Also, how can I do maths in the last example to convert FreeSpace and Capacity in GB? I tried in the SELECT query on line 1 and in the Select-Object on Line 2 and both returned syntax errors

Code:
$wql = "SELECT * FROM Win32_Volume WHERE FileSystem='NTFS' AND Name LIKE '[A-Z]%'"
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize

Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize, FileSystem

Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, FreeSpace, Capacity

View attachment 651328

PowerShell isn't among my set of languages (if you can call it that) but I can't get over how much the opening line looks like T-SQL. Try searching StackOverflow for your answer if you know what to search for, otherwise I came across this. Down the bottom looks a lot like your example where it didn't return the query in a table, but adding format-table on the end did. Looks like some other handy info on the page too regarding get-process.

https://mcpmag.com/articles/2018/06/13/format-powershell-output.aspx?m=1

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
thanks, the Format-Table/FT command definitely helps for my first problem, and I've figured out the math for the second problem
Code:
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize, FileSystem | Format-Table
or
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object | FT SystemName, Name, Label, BlockSize, FileSystem

Code:
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object Name, @{Label="totalGB";Expression={[Math]::Round($_.Capacity/1GB)}}
or
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object Name, @{Label="totalGB";Expression={[Math]::Truncate($_.Capacity/1GB)}}
or
Get-WmiObject -Query $wql -ComputerName '.' | Select-Object Name, @{Label="totalGB";Expression={($_.Capacity/1GB)-as[INT]}}

Last edited:

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Code:

View attachment 651328

FYI, Awesome Powershell is a pretty good resource for Powershell related stuff. Did a 3 day Microsoft course on it and the trainer recommended it numerous times.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thanks dav3, PowerShell has been at the back of my mind for 2-3 years, I've just been too busy. A colleague did a course and now does a bit of coding. I need to incorporate it into my work (server and database administration).

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves
Hello,

My laptop recently reset a few of my settings for a reason unbeknownst to me. Now when I'm scrolling on a continually loading page like my Twitter timeline, the scroll bar glitches upwards when more tweets load. This makes it very hard to view things smoothly, as every time I hit the end of the page it takes me back to the bottom of the newly loaded content, so it just keeps loading new stuff and I have to scroll way upwards to where I was. If that makes any sense. Touch pad so I'm scrolling by clicking and dragging, not with a mouse.

This is ruining my internet quality of life.

Help.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
iphone geeks!

Anyone know why my iphone headphone adapters ain't working through the lighting port but the lighting charge cables work!

Note: tested adapters on ipad and works fine just not on the iphone anymore. I have an iphone 8

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Lenovo laptop

Started glitching into purplish streaks - I am assuming screen or graphics issue but gut feel says screen.

If a picture is needed that's a few hours away.

I understand it's bare bones info but I wanted to get it down on screen before I get busy

Basic question is new screen or new laptop and short term is a hdmi cable to another monitor?

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lenovo laptop

Started glitching into purplish streaks - I am assuming screen or graphics issue but gut feel says screen.

If a picture is needed that's a few hours away.

I understand it's bare bones info but I wanted to get it down on screen before I get busy

Basic question is new screen or new laptop and short term is a hdmi cable to another monitor?

Depends on what you call "streaks". If it's some weird pixelated garbage then it may be software/driver related and a reinstall may fix it. The problem will most likely happen if you plug a monitor in.

If it's straight lines down/across the screen it's a panel issue, which could be anything from a lose connection to a busted panel. You can often tell a connection issue if it happens when you move the screen up and down, if so it may be an easy fix.

Unless it's a common model you're probably better off getting a new laptop, or if it's workable just plug a monitor into it.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Thank you for the response

IMG_20201012_173110.jpg

That's a still shot of course but imagine it jumping

I have switched to a hdmi cable to another monitor. Mate told me its 7 years old so I will use monitor to transfer files etc to portable drive then factory reset and dump it

Thanks again

HELP NEEDED

hi everyone. I am hoping one of you legends might be able to help me. I moved into a new rental and the I am trying to plug my tv PAL antenna cord into the wall socket but it does not fit. I cannot for the life of me figure out what connection I need. I have always just used the normal PAL connection, below is the wall socket that my normal cord don’t fit.
C4EE8899-83B2-4187-8DC7-B134F783631F.jpeg

Does anyone know which connection I need? I would love to get it working before Grand Final this Saturday

thanks heaps

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
That hex cut in the plate makes me think it's Pay TV, Foxtel, Austar connector and not TV antenna?
I'm sure someone will know for sure soon enough though.

LegacyNexus

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone able to install the Facebook widget.
My friend has a 12 pro and can install a Facebook Stories widget.
But myself (11) and friends on the SE, 12 Pro Max and 12 can’t install it.
What’s the deal?

no idea where to put this question and feel its not thread worthy

any recommendations on a free video editor to trim and crop from the App Store for Mac? all the ones I've tried downloading are trash, surely there is something out there similar to androvid that I downloaded from the play store?

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
no idea where to put this question and feel its not thread worthy

any recommendations on a free video editor to trim and crop from the App Store for Mac? all the ones I've tried downloading are trash, surely there is something out there similar to androvid that I downloaded from the play store?

Hey there, recently got a pc with a ryzen 5 7000 or something and a radeon 6700x which I thought was a steal for 1500, what should I know as I've never had a pc this spec stacked.

just google the specs and see what you get with the review results

Apr 30, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Carlisle, Celtics, GCS
Hey there, had PC for a few months but always used wireless headphones, I now want to use speakers but the audio jack is being unresponsive and saying it's not plugged in, already confirmed it's not a cable issue I tried 5 different cables and headphones.

Back