Roast Getting fed up with the commentating

Remove this Banner Ad

On my way to Drums hotel to watch the game was listening to the Carlton game and one of the callers mistook Silvagni for Kruezer.

Fortunately, I didn't hear the game as sound was low and rather enjoyed the telecast.

I have been listening to the cricket on ABC at night and it is so good. You know where every fielder is, the type of ball bowled and no bias from either English or Australian commentators. There are even gaps of silence as the bowler bowls. No need to fill in silence with rubbish stats.

I have actually found that I have almost perfected the zoning out the commentators watching at home.
This second last bit is the issue.
It's just yap yap yap opinion opinion opinion umpire bash umpire bash umpire bash.

Just describe the action FFS!!
And you don't need to talk the whole farking time.
And please give us a vanilla option B for commentary. Please!

This second last bit is the issue.
It's just yap yap yap opinion opinion opinion umpire bash umpire bash umpire bash.

Just describe the action FFS!!
And you don't need to talk the whole farking time.
And please give us a vanilla option B for commentary. Please!
One of the more recent issues is that Commentators think they are the real Stars of the show, they have elevated their commentary and antics to be of greater value than the actual game
I suspect some of them think without their commentary there would be no game (BT is an example), when in reality most of them are just washed up hacks who are desperately trying to gain lost relevancy because they have an inability to move on with their lives

I agree the commentating is bad. But you’ve got rocks in your head if you honestly believe across the whole competition, its just against Collingwood 😂

It happens in almost every game. Generally if the underdog is up and about, the commentators get excited and subtly barrack for them. And then conversely sound flat if the other team fights back. It happens for almost every Carlton game they’ve won recently. Just human nature, having seen that team struggle for so long.

Its not all Collingwood, Collingwood, Collingwood people. Take off the rose coloured glasses.

To be fair to the Chief, he did talk about Sidebottom massively around just how hard he works when he watches him off the ball....especially in that game yesterday.
Exactly. There are plenty of times he raves about collingwood and our players. Certain supporters tune that out though... and act as if all he does is groan when we play well. Its false.

I couldnt disagree more about the cameras. I get absolute sea sick with 7 especially and their zoomed in camera angles. Im not a nuffie, i know who the players are so i dont need to see their facial expressions. I want to see half the ground so i know who is around them.....who is free up field. I hate watching players kick short/sideways without knowing if there is a better option up forward. I could watch a game with just one camera for live play.....and the others for replaying a mark/goal etc
I'm not a nuffie either, but I don't enjoy watching via Fox generally speaking, especially when I can't see who is doing what. It's one thing to show the game unfolding in a realistic way; seven does this. They show the mark in closeup, not after the event. They then switch to the wide shot. Fox, until now, has shown a wide shot and as the ball looked like being marked, for instance, they left it on wide, mark is taken, then they would switch to a useless closeup. Too late she cried.

There's absolutely no reason, except for laziness, for giving us the Fox Extreme Wide Shot. That is, play is on the outer wing, player has ball in hand looking to dispose, we can't really tell who it is, especially if it is not a Collingwood player, the commentators are busily talking about their past exploits instead of calling the play, (happens too often with in-jokes thrown in to further alienate the viewers), and we get a view from the outer wing, across the centre and across towards the camera side. No player on the outer side is ever going to kick it 80 metres to the inner side. He's going down the line, or he's going to centre it. That's it. We need a camera angle through to the centre. Anyway, Fox finally saw the error of its ways on Saturday and it was excellent.

I also noticed some interesting new camera shots from high up behind the goals; I suspect all of this means they are experimenting for the upcoming finals series. I'm going to call fox today and congratulate them. God knows, they've had my negative ones for years.

Seriously who gives a sh1t if someone has played the game or not?! It’s the precise problem with our sporting culture - if you haven’t played, you have no idea. It has paved the way for all these former players to have armchair rides into the media and, as a result, bring down the overall standard of broadcasting. Huddo is comfortably in the best few play by play commentators
Can't agree.
Best to leave it at that.

I agree the commentating is bad. But you’ve got rocks in your head if you honestly believe across the whole competition, its just against Collingwood 😂

It happens in almost every game. Generally if the underdog is up and about, the commentators get excited and subtly barrack for them. And then conversely sound flat if the other team fights back. It happens for almost every Carlton game they’ve won recently. Just human nature, having seen that team struggle for so long.

Its not all Collingwood, Collingwood, Collingwood people. Take off the rose coloured glasses.
I agree with this too.
I just want (old school channel nine)cricket style commentary.

I agree with this too.
I just want (old school channel nine)cricket style commentary.
Yep. The commentary is horrible. But it is by absolutely no means exclusive to some ‘anti-Collingwood’ mentality by all commentators. They are bad almost across the board, for almost every game.

Seriously who gives a sh1t if someone has played the game or not?! It’s the precise problem with our sporting culture - if you haven’t played, you have no idea. It has paved the way for all these former players to have armchair rides into the media and, as a result, bring down the overall standard of broadcasting. Huddo is comfortably in the best few play by play commentators
The thing I have noticed about former players who become commentators is that for the first 12 months they haven't been tainted with "media speak"

By that I mean they come in fresh from playing and talk from that perspective which is generally quite refreshing, but after about 12 months they fall into media speak and sound like all the other sheep who use cliche's to express a point or they become sensationalist by making outlandish comments so as to appear to gain some relevance.

Murphy and Reiwoldt are the two latest examples, for a time both were excellent with great insights and commentary, now you can't distinguish them from people like King, Cornes or Brereton.

Its like the media managers say "yeah, that's all good but give us 12 months and we'll beat that crap out of you"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither does Dermie

He just says words and leaves it to us to figure out what he means
He knows what he means at the start of each sentence but forgets halfway through, but he’s pot committed.

I got clarification from my Norwegian wife about the inconsistency in the Howe 'dive" and paid free kick as opposed to Fogarty tripping over his own feet and falling over, which wasn't even commented on. I asked her if I was crazy or if these commentators are ridiculously biased. Her Scandinavian fairness meter assured me that the commentators were tools and were clearly supporting "anyone but Collingwood."

Also as an aside, what the hell is with meathead ex footballers using the term "there's no doubt about that" when stating an opinion. And yes Johno Brown there is doubt on 10 Lions players being in contention for the AA squad. Legitimately uneducated morons who cannot use English properly.
Obviously it would be an extremely brave man to question a woman whose actual name is Mrs Fairandbalanced without scientific data to back it up.
Case closed.
They are biased..

The Hawthorn game yesterday would have to be the most biased umpiring of all time, they were literally cheering when Roughead would kick a goal.

Yeah I generally say that if it's a joke.. and meant as a joke to illicit laughter (but not derisive laughter)... then it's a good thing...as long as it is actually funny.
“Illicit laughter”. You make it sound like a spin-off of Fifty Shades where the protagonists tie each other up and tell knock-knock jokes.

I got clarification from my Norwegian wife about the inconsistency in the Howe 'dive" and paid free kick as opposed to Fogarty tripping over his own feet and falling over, which wasn't even commented on. I asked her if I was crazy or if these commentators are ridiculously biased. Her Scandinavian fairness meter assured me that the commentators were tools and were clearly supporting "anyone but Collingwood."

Also as an aside, what the hell is with meathead ex footballers using the term "there's no doubt about that" when stating an opinion. And yes Johno Brown there is doubt on 10 Lions players being in contention for the AA squad. Legitimately uneducated morons who cannot use English properly.
Agree on the uneducated moronic commentary.

But have to disagree with the Howe v Fogarty thing. Thats just one isolated incident. Many times the commentators get things wrong, like we do. Like the umpires do.

There are many times Collingwood aren’t paid a free for something and the commentators mention it should have been paid, Collingwood are stiff, etc etc. I can’t remember specific instances obviously, but i can remember a few regarding Cox a couple times. It happens many times throughout a game, and throughout the season.

This whole Collingwood Bias thing is a fallacy. There are so many cases of commentators saying something in favour of Collingwood during a game, but because some people have this ‘collingwood bias’ engrained into their mentality, it gets swept to the back of their mind. They then focus on maybe 3-4 things which display some sort of bias, ignoring many incidents which are the opposite.

The facts are, each commentator is going to have an individual view on individual moments in a game. Those views are going to fall in favour of Collingwood sometimes, and sometimes its going to be against Collingwood. I’ve never watched a game where every single thing that was commented on was clearly against Collingwood and their players, it literally does not happen.

Some of the same commentators people point out, are the same commentators who would make comments about us being their tip for the flag, or being deserving favourite for the flag, earlier on in the year. Hell, i swear it was Dunstall & Brown commenting on how dangerous and exciting our forward line is on the weekend, and that you should watch out come finals when we get players back. If these people are so biased, why would such comments ever be made? Heres why - its a myth.

Years ago there was a Footy caller on the ABC (can't think of his name) who only called the actual play, for instance he would say it like: "Pendlebury in the middle, handballs to Treloar on the edge of the square, who short passes to Mihocek on the 50 who will take a set shot at goal"
No theatrics, no screaming, no weird names for footballers. He was so good to listen to

ABC TV or radio is generally where my favorite callers (ie: Lane, Whateley, Grybas, Booth, Morphett) can/could be found. Cometti, Donegan (ABC TV now) and Heywood the exceptions. Sadly, they all seem to get lured away to the commercials for the big pay days. There's a couple of young pups showing some promise (Hull, Nicholson, & Middlemas) and I like what Kellie Underwood brings to the table. Still a lot better than the commercial stations.

Last edited:
As others have said there are too many ex players in the commentary box like Dunstall and Brown who hate Collingwood.We clearly need some ex Collingwoood players to commentate on games to balance the ledger,but unfortunately there are none at the moment,and there haven't been any for quite a while now.
Jimmy Clement and Luke Ball find there way into the ABC boxes as special comments types. Both intelligent and articulate.

Many would consider that as boring as bats**t.

Many folks love personality.

And many folks love to complain about flogs.

Consider Rex Hunt back in his heyday ...

... anybody listening to him would have had NFI what was going on in the game,
but they still found his call entertaining.

Could never bring myself to listen to him for that very reason.

Google is your friend. Urban dictionary:

'Subjects of man-on-the-street interviews sometimes give Heywood Jablome as their name to reporters. If the reporter's a novice and if the newspaper's copy editor doesn't catch it, the name ends up in print, embarrassing the newspaper and the poor scribe who was gullible enough to scribble down the bogus moniker.
Reporter: Can I quote you on that? What's your name?
Man on the Street: Heywood Jablome.
Reporter: Thank you, Mr. Jablome.'

He's a distant cousin to Phil Inn isn't he?

I agree. its awful. Id very supportive a graa roots supporter campaign to get a change in commentary style

The facts are, each commentator is going to have an individual view on individual moments in a game.

If it's true that we're an incredibly divisive football club that have over the years drawn the ire of generations of ex players and coaches (the entire population of a commentary team). Your statement could be applied by anyone making the argument that commentators are in-fact biased towards Collingwood with a fair degree of certainty .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back