GF to Be Played at other Venues

Interstate Teams to Play GF at Home Stadium

• Yes

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres only 50k available seats at the G , so any ground bigger than that is fine.

On average the G will still get 5 out of 9 Gfs, so MCC and AFL members can weigh up if they still want to be members, if not there's a big waiting list to take their place.

Move the week off to before the GF to give more time to organise and promote the game.

LOL like that will ever happen.

Novel idea but hear me out...WE LEAVE THE GRAND FINAL AT THE MCG!
I'm getting the sense you're trying to tell me something, mmmmm.

As it hapoens I agree.Sydney would be a huge mistake for an Aussie rules GF.

As for ANZ you'd have more experienc. I thought the QF was pretty cool, but it is wierd.

It will have to happen eventually if they want to be a truly national comp. Otherwise do a Wembley stadium situation where no team has their home ground at the MCG. The current set up looks quite amatuer

that involves building quite a lot of infrastructure/stadiums....
end of the day its a patch of grass..... best team on the day always wins....

"Needs to be such and such a size" is a bullshit excuse when the current venue gives most of the tickets to the MCC and AFL Members.
Most of the tickets? The MCC is around 23k, the AFL reserve is a similar size, which means more that half the tickets are GA - that would be most of the tickets.

Theres only 50k available seats at the G , so any ground bigger than that is fine.

On average the G will still get 5 out of 9 Gfs, so MCC and AFL members can weigh up if they still want to be members, if not there's a big waiting list to take their place.

Move the week off to before the GF to give more time to organise and promote the game.
Surely stadium membership is not unique to the MCG. Pretty sure the SCG has it, and a quick google search would suggest AO has something like it. So you wouldn't get 50k GA seats if that were the case.

Will the new Perth stadium have any kind of membership?

I don't have a problem playing the Grand Final at a venue other than the MCG, but it can't be done on a "whomever is playing" basis. It'd take plenty of time to organise and make sure the ground / entertainment / etc is all up to scratch and that surrounding infrastructure can also be planned and catered for (such as transport).

What does Kevin Mitchell Jr have to say on the matter?

4 pages in and no-one's mentioned the MCG has the GF contractually locked in up to 2040 - so if the GF ever does move, it won't be for quite a while.
Wait, you mean the AFL won't actually do something like break a contract with the MCG based on a footy forum discussion? :mad:
Better take down the Go Fund Me page

PS. someone mentioned the contract a while back, as someone generally does when this thread topic comes up on a yearly basis

From memory the GF deal was done as part of extracting the PF deal that prevented non Vic clubs from hosting PFs. It's hard to see the MCC agreeing to any trade for the GF guranteee. The reality is sporting bodies need to contract venues to secure supply and cost. The cost depends on what is provided. Take the GF deal away and the cost would probably have been prohibitive or the very least limited the teams that could play at the G.

There were people that once said man would never land on the moon
There are people who say man has never walked on the moon, that it was a hoax to get one-up on the Russians. What's your point?

There are people who say man has never walked on the moon, that it was a hoax to get one-up on the Russians. What's your point?
I have it! The GF has never been played at the G!
It's about time it should be eh?

OP there are already other threads which have gone through this stuff multiple times.
The main reason it can't move is that the Great Southern Stand and new Olympic/MCC/Ponsford Stands were paid for by a combination of MCC/AFL/State Government money on the understanding there is a contract in place to play the GF there for a long time, currently 2038 I think. You can't just renege on those deals after they have stumped up the cash and rebuilt the ground. MCC still has a several hundred million dollar loan it is paying off.

As for ANZ you'd have more experienc. I thought the QF was pretty cool, but it is wierd.

Too far away from the action and there is nothing around the area. I just find it weird to watch football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with it. At the G about 20000 members of each club get in. Provided other venues can match this then why not. Only I think it should be a year to year bid system and announced before the season starts. The home game is irrelevant. Its about the event. Would seem a bit hollow if it wasn't at the G but we'd get over that.

Too far away from the action and there is nothing around the area. I just find it weird to watch football
Agreed, I was being facetious.
It's an engineers dream to me, just they didn't quite get what they were trying to build.

I have no problem with it. At the G about 20000 members of each club get in. Provided other venues can match this then why not. Only I think it should be a year to year bid system and announced before the season starts. The home game is irrelevant. Its about the event. Would seem a bit hollow if it wasn't at the G but we'd get over that.
Speak for yourself!

Grand Final rule should be if you have a 100k Stadium with good access and amenities and a higher ranked club from that state is playing then it can be played there otherwise MCG

Beyond that, the city needs to be able to handle the influx. You're talking about 50k interstate supporters. Every time this conversation comes up, this is ignored. I'm sure both cities could handle it but you're talking about excessive costs, far more than it would cost for someone from Perth to travel to Melbourne.

If you were running things cave men would never have left the cave

One day a GF may be played in China if footy takes off there

Last edited:
There is a realistic possibility that the MCG may become a giant mosque so I am getting everyone prepared now for the change

Back