theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I for one would be very keen to see him at the club in an assistant's role. The man is a club legend, and inspiration and oozes integrity. Hearing that he has been visiting the club today is great news and I hope there is at least some thought of recruiting him.

His willingness to go to GCSs to get the most out of his career as a player, and gain more experience is a positive. I understand he has some involvement in coaching in the VFL this year, and would like him to complete that this season, then find his way back to WA.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
"Club legend" seems a bit strong. All round good guy but what did he do to get that tag?
I don't think Lyon and Barlow are on best terms, don't see it happening myself.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
"Club legend" seems a bit strong. All round good guy but what did he do to get that tag?
I don't think Lyon and Barlow are on best terms, don't see it happening myself.
I think it was clear Lyon didn't want to play Barlow in his preferred role and wanted him to develop some capacity in the forward line. You don't always get what you want.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Michael Barlow won’t be offered a job he is locked in for the year at Werribee in the VFL. The club he played 38 games for 2008/2009 prior to being drafted by Freo.

http://www.werribeefc.com.au/news/all-stories/1051-michael-barlow-returns-to-werribee
I would prefer to see him complete that agreement and gain from it, but like IP says, I would think there would be a way out if an opportunity came. All the same, you wouldn't want to do the dirty on your old club (Werribee) and leave them in the poop. Nobody wants the stench of an ugly exit lingering.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a legend in that he was pivotal to turning the club around.

The first half of the 2010 season was worth watching for him alone. It was a revelation. We picked up someone, from the rookie list, who made such an immediate impact that we made finals. No one else in our club's history has done this. He transformed us from being third-last losers in 2008-09 to finalists in 2010, and even though he broke his leg at the midway point, the experience he gave to the likes of Hill, Fyfe, etc was vital to us make the grand final three years later.

We went from duds to challengers in half a season because of Barlow - he didn't do it on his own, but he was the difference.

He is in my top 10 players of all time for Freo, and not just based on his on field career, but the symbolism of what he represented - someone who battled to make it in footy and succeeded. I have never enjoyed a season as much as Barlow's first season at Freo, and only a premiership will beat it.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a legend in that he was pivotal to turning the club around.

The first half of the 2010 season was worth watching for him alone. It was a revelation. We picked up someone, from the rookie list, who made such an immediate impact that we made finals. No one else in our club's history has done this. He transformed us from being third-last losers in 2008-09 to finalists in 2010, and even though he broke his leg at the midway point, the experience he gave to the likes of Hill, Fyfe, etc was vital to us make the grand final three years later.

We went from duds to challengers in half a season because of Barlow - he didn't do it on his own, but he was the difference.

He is in my top 10 players of all time for Freo, and not just based on his on field career, but the symbolism of what he represented - someone who battled to make it in footy and succeeded. I have never enjoyed a season as much as Barlow's first season at Freo, and only a premiership will beat it.

Nah, I remember Barlow' s first half a season well too and similarly being blown away, and some other great games he played, doesn't qualify for the hyperbole of club legend in my book. Each to their own though

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I think he was a good player for us without doubt.He made the most of his talent.
But I believe that when he, MDB and Mzungu were delisted, there was a problem from one of them.
We constantly had media leaks and it was coming from within the club.I am not saying it was him, but I think that something points in that direction.I am not sure that the club would welcome him back.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he was a good player for us without doubt.He made the most of his talent.
But I believe that when he, MDB and Mzungu were delisted, there was a problem from one of them.
We constantly had media leaks and it was coming from within the club.I am not saying it was him, but I think that something points in that direction.I am not sure that the club would welcome him back.

Barlow has been back, Sumich is another story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back