Go The Tiger Women, for 2020!

Remove this Banner Ad

tassietiger67

Draftee
May 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I have been reading a few untutored comments on the watchability of the women's game. Please give the AFL women a fair chance to develop their skills, power, fitness, and finesse! Many are only new to the game, at the top level, having come from other sports. Each year, from 2017 onwards, you could see - if you really love and study this great game - that the women's fitness, ball skills, tackling, marking, game play and tactical nous, have improved rapidly, by 25% or more, year on year. It takes, on average, twelve to fourteen years of careful teaching, training and coaching - if you spot a gifted boy at age ten years - to turn a kid's potential into a fully fledged AFL player. I can promise you that - by the year 2030 - we will all look back to see that many of the gifted girls, now starting at age ten, will have developed their combined game skills and mental focus at a much faster level, than can many gifted boys, esp between ages 16 to 22. The men's game will always be more of a pure power game - due to muscle mass and other body factors - but if you watch the top level of women's soccer, you would know that, right now, the best, most skilful, high international class, top four soccer players, in this country, are all women, and that the best side to watch playing, as a team, by some way, are the women. You would know, as well, that our women's soccer team has a very real chance to win the next World Cup. Can we say that, for the men's soccer team? AFLW will be just as good a game, and just as good to watch - in terms of tempo, contest, skills, and team play - within five years - as is AFL: of that I have no doubt. So "Go The Tiges!"own AFLW team, for 2020. Our clan of Tigers will all be behind all of the Tiger women, just as we support the men!

Agree with the sentiment of the OP, BUT-

I don't see the point of comparing AFL to AFLW or VFLW. We don't compare AFL to TAC Cup or the Goulburn Valley league.

Currently, the female's earn less money than some (most?) local footballers and the older females have simply played less junior games. Any woman over the age of about 20 had to stop playing at 14 or play against adults.

Women's footy isn't for everyone, just like junior and local footy isn't for everyone. Anyone who feels the need to put s**t on women's footy because it's not "as good as AFL" should ask themselves if they'd say the same thing about the Oakleigh Chargers or the Dingley Dingos.

There’s a sticky thread for AFLW to see the latest, lots of us are looking forward to it and are rapt at the team assembled. I can see the standard at vfl has already improved plenty so not hard to imagine where it will be in a few years time in view of the big numbers coming through junior ranks. The interest will grow I have no doubt , the tigers have gone right way about it putting best team we can together , that’s the simplest way to generate attention

It’s great to have AFLW and it’s still developing as a league obviously, it will keep getting better, the main downfall of it is we live in a generation that lacks patience and people love to sook for some reason like it’s the in thing to do.

Anyway, I was shocked that we didn’t have a team from the very start, finally we do and they will get my support and i can’t wait to watch them too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back