Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
2020 - none
2021 - None
2022 - Hugo Ralph-Smith + Noah Cumberland
2023 - None.

The only 2 nominations we have had in 4 years are 2 guys most people think can't play & have no feel for the game.

Our future is very bleak

2020 - none
2021 - None
2023 - None.

The only 2 nominations we have had in 4 years are 2 guys most people think can't play & have no feel for the game.

Our future is very bleak

The fact Gibcus didn't get a nomination last year, AND selection panellists admitting they didn't watch our games during certain rounds renders the award useless.

2020 - none
2021 - None
2023 - None.

Our future is very bleak
Hard to win an award playing mainly in the VFL. We have one player drafted after 2019 who is a regular selection this season, Young and he is only playing via Tarrant's injury. The rest play cameo's before being dropped.

Our player development has been awful for some years now.

I wouldn't worry about rising star nominations. Banks may well get one this year, Gibcus would've got one this year, Judson will get one next year. But guys like Young, Coulthard, Bauer, Ryan etc have shown promise but were mature agers so not eligible.

so does that mean if you win the rising star, that player will be a superstar?
Coz id love to get the next Rhys Palmer, Lewis Taylor and Jaidyn Stephenson. We would be unbeatable then

I wouldn't worry about rising star nominations. Banks may well get one this year, Gibcus would've got one this year, Judson will get one next year. But guys like Young, Coulthard, Bauer, Ryan etc have shown promise but were mature agers so not eligible.

Gibcus is ineligible. Played 18 games last year.

Yeah forgot about that rule, I was just looking at his age. Judson will be too then.

Nope. Juddy still eligible this year as he played less than 10 games coming into the season. Won't be eligible next year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who were nominated for Rising Star whilst playing for Richmond, who played in Richmond Premierships 2017-20(12):

T Cotchin
J Riewoldt
D Martin
D Grimes
B Ellis
N Vlastuin
K McIntosh
D Rioli
D Butler
J Castagna
L Baker
S Bolton

Richmond Premiership players 2017-20 who were not nominated for the RS award(14):
D Prestia
S Edwards
K Lambert
T Nankervis
J Graham
N Broad
A Rance
J Townsend
D Astbury
M Pickett
I Soldo
J Short
T Lynch
N Balta

And Richmond players who were nominated from 2007 but did not play in our Premiership teams(8):

W Thursfield
R Conca
J Batchelor
B Lennon
J Higgins
S Stack
H Ralphsmith
N Cumberland

So we have had 20 nominees in almost 17 seasons(367 rounds.) On average, teams who were in the competition in 2007 will have roughly 21 nominees. So we are a fraction below average for RS nominees. But we have developed the overwhelming majority of our own players - probably the most in the AFL. And our club in this sample period is one of the 3 most successful in terms of Premierships and I would guess top 6-7 in terms of games won. So if the RS was a reliable indicator of future success, then you might expect to see Richmond with more than its share of nominees.

Other players who played at Richmond who were nominated for the RS Award at their original clubs:

R Petterd
B Houli
S Grigg
T Banfield
J Caddy
J Hopper(so the Hopper deal was a good one after all in RJK Tiger 's view. :))
T Taranto

In all I make it 15 of our Premiership players were RS nominated. And 14 of our Premiership players were not nominated. 9 players who played for Richmond in the period were RS nominated at either Richmond or another club and were old enough to have played in our Premiership teams but did not do so.

Roughly half our Premiership teams were not nominated for the RS Award.

Players likely to be on our list in 2024 who have been nominated:

Martin, Grimes, Vlastuin, McIntosh, D Rioli, Baker, Bolton, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Hopper, Taranto(11) So we have just enough to make up half of our 2024 Premiership team to stay in line with the trend.

RJK Tiger .....

giphy.gif

2020 - none
2021 - None
2023 - None.

Our future is very bleak
LoL

What’s the correlation to rising star nomination and being a very good player?

Its generally a sign that you have young talent. The way i was able to correlate that was based on the premise that the nominations are made based on the form and performance, of young players. As we have had 2 players nominated in the past 80+ opportunities, it suggest that our young talent might not be very good.

If you would like to learn more about the "Rising Star" format, hit up google, heaps of good info in there. Turns out the NBA has one too, who knew

Players who were nominated for Rising Star whilst playing for Richmond, who played in Richmond Premierships 2017-20(12):

T Cotchin
J Riewoldt
D Martin
D Grimes
B Ellis
N Vlastuin
K McIntosh
D Rioli
D Butler
J Castagna
L Baker
S Bolton

Richmond Premiership players 2017-20 who were not nominated for the RS award(14):
D Prestia
S Edwards
K Lambert
T Nankervis
J Graham
N Broad
A Rance
J Townsend
D Astbury
M Pickett
I Soldo
J Short
T Lynch
N Balta

And Richmond players who were nominated from 2007 but did not play in our Premiership teams(8):

W Thursfield
R Conca
J Batchelor
B Lennon
J Higgins
S Stack
H Ralphsmith
N Cumberland

So we have had 20 nominees in almost 17 seasons(367 rounds.) On average, teams who were in the competition in 2007 will have roughly 21 nominees. So we are a fraction below average for RS nominees. But we have developed the overwhelming majority of our own players - probably the most in the AFL. And our club in this sample period is one of the 3 most successful in terms of Premierships and I would guess top 6-7 in terms of games won. So if the RS was a reliable indicator of future success, then you might expect to see Richmond with more than its share of nominees.

Other players who played at Richmond who were nominated for the RS Award at their original clubs:

R Petterd
B Houli
S Grigg
T Banfield
J Caddy
J Hopper(so the Hopper deal was a good one after all in RJK Tiger 's view. :))
T Taranto

In all I make it 15 of our Premiership players were RS nominated. And 14 of our Premiership players were not nominated. 9 players who played for Richmond in the period were RS nominated at either Richmond or another club and were old enough to have played in our Premiership teams but did not do so.

Roughly half our Premiership teams were not nominated for the RS Award.

Players likely to be on our list in 2024 who have been nominated:

Martin, Grimes, Vlastuin, McIntosh, D Rioli, Baker, Bolton, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Hopper, Taranto(11) So we have just enough to make up half of our 2024 Premiership team to stay in line with the trend.

RJK Tiger .....

giphy.gif

Barking up the wrong tree?

Its the lowest strikerate in the league, which is generally not a good sign. Club should have started rebuilding after 2021, instead we didn't play kids and it shows. It shows to me how underprepared the club is to start a rebuild. The only 2 that have earned a nomination (from 2021), are still playing more VFL than AFL, so we can't even enjoy those 2 really.

The list of players you mentioned who earned a nomination 15 years ago was very interesting. Thanks. I knew it already & it did prove nicely the value of nominated players which was my original point. Your welcome.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 1.53.48 am.png

As it’s been mentioned Gibcus should of got a nod last year, Clarke and Banks also could of got noms this year both have some decent games

If young was… well Young he would of got one as well
Due to all the odd selection criteria around the nom it’s not worth taking a huge amount of notice with them imo

We haven’t had a huge amount of top10 draft picks and they are the kids who generally get the nods to media exposure and the bias that comes with it

2020 - none
2021 - None
2023 - None.

Our future is very bleak
So you made the window not to include Boulton and Baker to make it more biased to your view

After a good preseason would back some of the cubs step up to become quality AFL players.

Last edited:
Gold Coast Suns have had 10 nominations since 2019, they surely must in the 8 given all their young talent....oh wait.

So you made the window not include Boulton and Baker to make it more biased to your view

After a good preseason would back some of the cubs step up to become quality AFL players.

Since and including 2015, players nominated who are currently on our list:

McIntosh
D Rioli
J Hopper
T Taranto
L Baker
S Bolton
H Ralphsmith
N Cumberland.

8 players from 191 games. We are 2.6 nominations short of AFL average in that time - if no players were nominated twice. But quite a few have been. So we might be about 2 nominations down on AFL average in the last 4 seasons.

Players already on our list who are eligible by age to be nominated in 2023 and 2024:

Sonsie
Banks
*Gibcus
Brown
**Clarke
Green
Smith
Campbell

* Disqualified for having played too many games
** Disqualified in 2024 only

Players who missed nomination in recent years but look a strong chance to be become best 22 players for us in future and are currently under 25yo:

Young
*Balta
Ross
Ryan
**M Rioli Jnr

* Played in a Premiership team when eligible
** Played well in a final when eligible

RJK Tiger why don't you show the correlation between Premiership teams and not having a 4 year window with 2 or less nominations at some relevant earlier point?

Cats for instance won the 2022 AFL Toyota Premiership with 5 players on their list who were nominated whilst playing for them over the previous 11 seasons.

Demons won the 2021 flag after zero nominations across the 2017-18-19 seasons, and 2 nominations in 2020 - so just the 2 nominations in a 4 year window prior to their flag year.

Eagles won the 2018 flag with 2 nominations in the 6 years 2012-2017 leading up to their flag year.

Hawks 2013-15 Premiership teams contained only 4 players who were nominated whilst playing for the Hawks between the years 2007-2015(9 seasons). Those were Rioli 2008, Stratton 2010, Breust 2011, Hill 2013.

So where does this leave us at this point in time RJK? It appears to me our 2 nominations over the past 4 years is telling us we are likely to win the 2024 Premiership and were a decent chance for a 3 peat. :)

But but but RJK says....
the-sky-is-falling-chicken-little.gif

The OP has a point that we have no potential elite players coming through but that is because of winning flags and having no decent draft picks.

That is correct, but that is also why we should have gotten a head start on a rebuild instead of trading away 2 years of picks.

From my experience of watching sport, it tends to be hard to get elite young talent when your picking outside the first 2 rounds. For a club that had no elite young talent to bank on, trading away our 4 best picks over 2 years was a interesting way to tackle the problem

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back