Autopsy Gold Coast defeat Freo by 26 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

One little thing that's been bugging me:

Those backwards over the head hand-passes while the player is running in the opposite direction. They rarely work and seem to lead to turn-overs most times. I reckon any player who does one and it results in a turn-over should be dropped for the next week.

(Though I was already aware of the result after listening to ABC Grandstand last night), I was reading the match report in The Sunday Tasmanian newspaper and it included the following comment: 'If footy in 2016 is about playing sexy, Fremantle might be the girl who used to be the hottest girl in school, but is now past her prime.' Also, it was reported that thousands of Dockers fans exited the stadium before the final siren.
Yeah, I noticed that. It looked like a West Coast game on TV after 3 quarter time. Looks like we've had some bandwagoners jump on board the last couple of years.

yeah i noticed this too
bandwagons abound at freo home games nowadays
i sat down on saturday and the bloke sitting next to me introduced himself,seemed like a nice sort of a bloke,said he previously had a seat elsewhere but changed this year.
anyway the game started he asked me "who is number 1?"
thats ballas i said ,yeah he looks different must be a haircut or something
5 minutes later "who is number 7 he's alright?" no kidding
i said "mate ill forgive you the first one but i don't know about that,my son was dumbfounded ,a good lesson for him as to the never-ending ignorance of the general public.
As the game progressed i realised i was actually quite enjoying myself,watching the new guys play and develop,yes we were getting beaten but you know what we werent going to win the flag using the old formula,last year was proof of that and who knows a few tweaks and a bit of fresh personnel and we will be up there again,maybe not this year but definitely next year
as i say,where theres Fyfe theres life.
midway through the fourth quarter,after a gold coast goal,this bloke about 3 rows in font of us stands up abuses the hell out of tommy sheridan,packs up his family and storms off in a huff
i was thinking
"mate i was sitting in these seats in about 2001 (my first year as a member been a rabid supporters since inception)and the kids around me were playing kick to kick in the aisle ,my son was in nappies
there was about 12-15000 people at the games somedays at subi ,i still loved the footy and freo then and i still love it now,
sit down and enjoy the footy you pelican."
as a consolation prize at least i got to listen to the eagles get smacked by the hawks whilst my son drove me home down albany highway yesterday.

Last edited:
yeah i noticed this too
i sat down on saturday and the bloke sitting next to me introduced himself,seemed like a nice sort of a bloke,said he previously had a seat elsewhere but changed this year.
i said "mate ill forgive you the first one but i don't know about that,my son was dumbfounded ,a good lesson for him as to the never-ending ignorance of the general public.
As the game progressed i realised i was actually quite enjoying myself,watching the new guys play and develop,yes we were getting beaten but you know what we werent going to win the flag using the old formula,last year was proof of that and who knows a few tweaks and a bit of fresh personnel and we will be up there again,maybe not this year but definitely next year
midway through the fourth quarter,after a gold coast goal,this bloke stands up abuses the hell out of tommy sheridan,packs up his family and storms off in a huff
i was thinking
"mate i was sitting in these seats in about 2001 (my first year as a member been a rabid supporters since inception)and the kids around me were playing kick to kick in the aisle ,my son was in nappies
there was about 12-15000 people at the games somedays at subi ,i still loved the footy and freo then and i still love it now,
as a consolation prize at least i got to listen to the eagles get smacked by the hawks whilst my son drove me home down albany highway yesterday.
That is the only reason I don't like to go live afl game, some fan just like to shout at player like they owned the player or their son is playing.

yeah i noticed this too
midway through the fourth quarter,after a gold coast goal,this bloke stands up abuses the hell out of tommy sheridan,packs up his family and storms off in a huff
i was thinking

Ha. I moved seats this year and was surrounded by casuals on Saturday although they at least knew Fyfe and Pav.

Guy sitting behind us "Aww, there's that 26 bloke again, he's done some nice things"
My mate "That's Ed Langdon"
Guy "Yeah yeah that's the one, yeah that Ted Langford is a solid defender aye".

I didn't really notice a mass exodus though. I sit near the Freo cheersquad and I saw only a handful of people leaving early, mostly those with children.

Ha. I moved seats this year and was surrounded by casuals on Saturday although they at least knew Fyfe and Pav.

Guy sitting behind us "Aww, there's that 26 bloke again, he's done some nice things"
My mate "That's Ed Langdon"
Guy "Yeah yeah that's the one, yeah that Ted Langford is a solid defender aye".

I didn't really notice a mass exodus though. I sit near the Freo cheersquad and I saw only a handful of people leaving early, mostly those with children.

Sure there was quite a few leaving with about 5minutes to go - so what, I really don't have a problem with people choosing to leave a little early to beat traffic or as you say with kids. I usually stay to the end but that does not make me in any way a better supporter than anyone else.

Just listening to channel 7 and Haselby making a lot of sense about not getting spooked and keep on improving the new game plan. He also doubted we would make the grand final this year, good out channel 7 only put out the negatives like Haselby says Freo can't win flag and showed nothing but our low lights.

The positives from the game for me were that once we started attacking in the second half we didn't look to bad. If the blatant turnovers were erased from the game I think we would have won. It was our highest score for quite some time unfortunately the standard for a win in the first two rounds for a win seems to be 120+
I'm treating this year similarly to the year we first got Ross over in that we're going to take a while to get the new gameplan ingrained into the players.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion.
Turnovers killed the Dockers - i was at the game and just watched the replay.
Kicks that were smothered or "bounced off" Gold Coast players meant Freo players were totally out of position and made GC seem fast on the rebound.
C Pearce, D Pearce and Suban were main culprits but is was across the board with Mundy, Hill, Johnson and others all making uncharacteristic mistakes with ball in hand.
Worst game I've seen Ibbotson play - his poor reading of the ball lead to 4 goals by GC.
I thought Barlow was ok - some of his contested handpasses set up Freo goals and when he made himself available for Freo attacks on goal he was let down by appalling kicking which favoured his opponent. When he was (rarely) in the middle at bouncedowns Freo won the clearance.
Lachie Weller and Alex Pearce will be guns. Weller has sublime skills and A Pearce i can see becoming one of the premium big men in the comp. Langdon will get better as he becomes used to the tempo of AFL - he has a bit of "mongrel" about him some of his tackling was fierce.
Walters was crucified by the umps in the last quarter - he should have had 3/4 free kicks when he was dragged from the contest on a number of occasions - this really stuffed up momentum as GC were able to rebound and score on the back of what should have been a Freo kick from 30m.
The defence was under the hammer most of the game because of the turnovers - there was little chance of the 2 on 1 due to the poor skills further up the ground resulting in the quick transfer from defence (or midfield) into attack by GC.
I know Sandlilands is a favourite but what is it with the lack of marks? He seems to want to bring the ball to ground rather than take a grab - 2 marks for the game from the tallest player in the AFL WTF? Especially when he's the go to target from kick ins - just results in a stoppage at best.

I know Sandlilands is a favourite but what is it with the lack of marks? He seems to want to bring the ball to ground rather than take a grab - 2 marks for the game from the tallest player in the AFL WTF? Especially when he's the go to target from kick ins - just results in a stoppage at best.
I agree with most of your analysis. Just thought I'd add a supporter's context on Sandilands marking. From my biased viewpoint, he is the most impeded player at the comp with defenders hanging off him and chopping the arms. It happened numerous times on Saturday, which if paid would actually force the defenders to stop doing it. Unfortunately, the umps let it go which means that he struggles to hold marks and the ball spills to the ground.

I agree with most of your analysis. Just thought I'd add a supporter's context on Sandilands marking. From my biased viewpoint, he is the most impeded player at the comp with defenders hanging off him and chopping the arms. It happened numerous times on Saturday, which if paid would actually force the defenders to stop doing it. Unfortunately, the umps let it go which means that he struggles to hold marks and the ball spills to the ground.

He is penalised for being the big kid and it's the most frustrating thing in the world.

Skill execution is executing us!

I noticed this at the end of last year as well. At the start of last year we were number 1 for disposal efficiency (at ~80% mark) and then dropped to number 3 by the end of the year. This year we are at 68%. I think it is not only our skills that are poor, but we are allowing the opposition the chance to put us under pressure. At the start of last year i remember us having so much space, by the end of it teams clamped down on us. So now we have less space and are low on confidence (apparently this can be seen at training). This doesn't equate to great skill execution. Here's hoping that it'll turn around by the end of the year :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind the intrusion.
Kicks that were smothered or "bounced off" Gold Coast players meant Freo players were totally out of position and made GC seem fast on the rebound.
C Pearce, D Pearce and Suban were main culprits but is was across the board with Mundy, Hill, Johnson and others all making uncharacteristic mistakes with ball in hand.
Worst game I've seen Ibbotson play - his poor reading of the ball lead to 4 goals by GC.
I thought Barlow was ok - some of his contested handpasses set up Freo goals and when he made himself available for Freo attacks on goal he was let down by appalling kicking which favoured his opponent. When he was (rarely) in the middle at bouncedowns Freo won the clearance.
Lachie Weller and Alex Pearce will be guns. Weller has sublime skills and A Pearce i can see becoming one of the premium big men in the comp. Langdon will get better as he becomes used to the tempo of AFL - he has a bit of "mongrel" about him some of his tackling was fierce.
Walters was crucified by the umps in the last quarter - he should have had 3/4 free kicks when he was dragged from the contest on a number of occasions - this really stuffed up momentum as GC were able to rebound and score on the back of what should have been a Freo kick from 30m.
The defence was under the hammer most of the game because of the turnovers - there was little chance of the 2 on 1 due to the poor skills further up the ground resulting in the quick transfer from defence (or midfield) into attack by GC.

Good observations, whilst Sandi's marking has been frustrating at times especially when he was developing we know from past experience it improves to very good the further the season goes. Simply, Sandi has not played any competitive footy since round one of the pre-season due to the stupid suspension and Ross being determined not to play anyone that is not available for round one. He was as rusty as all heck but is the least of our problems (as evidenced by our rucks in the first game against the Bullies).

:thumbsu: This has been the major difference between us being a premiership winner in the last few years and us being what we are.

It's interesting to note from Saturday night that we've been told for the last 3 years that if we could find a way to kick 100+ we'd win the flag, we kicked 100 on the weekend and got beat..I suppose that theory is out the window now then.

Finally watched the game tonight, and my god did Son Son get a raw deal from the ump in that last qtr, especially considering the same ump had no hesitation in awarding McKenzie a free the second Ballas laid a hand on him later in the qtr.

Now I'm not completely opposed to known stagers being treated with a higher burden of proof by umps, but why does that same philosophy not extend to known freekick hunters like the Selwoods? How lifting the arm to deliberately cause head high contact is still considered a legitimate technique is beyond me given the supposed stance against head high contact.

Watching it live I didn't think Mundy was too bad. He certainly got in and under in the clearances and won his fair share.
Hill was excellent once shifted on-ball.
Fyfe was amazing.
Walters was good.

I didn't think Ballantyne was very good despite him getting on the scoreboard. Weller spoon fed him 3 of his goals and not once did he go to Weller afterward and thank him. Not only that he didn't niggle or annoy or get in anyones face. He just looked flat and he did very little other than get on the end of some good work from Weller. He should have given one of them over the top to Neale who was running into an open goal in the clear. Fortunately he converted.

Mayne, Suban and Dan Pearce were just awful. Horrible skills. These guys have a net negative because they influence contests through sheer will but the result isn't of benefit. They are disaster catalysts. Dan Pearce for instance ran at a contest where Weller was running behind the ball toward goal, the smart thing to do would have been to shepherd but instead he blundered into the contest, getting in Wellers way and knocked the ball over the line. Mayne just bumbled around smashing into things like a pinball, ditto Suban. Neither of them did much that was of any use.

Langdon was interesting. He ran well and took the game on but some of his decision making was questionable. Overall a good effort and deserves another game on that run down tackle alone.

Weller created 3 direct goals and should have converted at least one of his own chances. He's clever and skilful and a big part of the future.

Alex Pearce didn't trouble the statisticians much but he did some great work in the packs and his effort and will can't be questioned. Needs time and touch but he must be persevered with.

Its a worry that we have so many players out of form at once and we don't have much in the shed to replace them with. Bennell can't come in quick enough and I think Morabito will be brought in sooner rather than later. Tucker should be fast tracked and possibly Ethan Hughes. Grey is possibly worth a game for his effort but he isn't going to be an upgrade in terms of skill. Such a shame the likes of Apeness and Balic aren't likely to available for a some time.

We must rebuild off this year and in some ways a bottom 8 finish will be better for us in the long term.

I noticed this at the end of last year as well. At the start of last year we were number 1 for disposal efficiency (at ~80% mark) and then dropped to number 3 by the end of the year. This year we are at 68%. I think it is not only our skills that are poor, but we are allowing the opposition the chance to put us under pressure. At the start of last year i remember us having so much space, by the end of it teams clamped down on us. So now we have less space and are low on confidence (apparently this can be seen at training). This doesn't equate to great skill execution. Here's hoping that it'll turn around by the end of the year :thumbsu:

I've thought about this - I believe that the change in the game plan is seeing Freo players try to move the ball forward by hand or foot as quickly as possible and the positioning is set up for this. In the GC game the amount of smothers by the GC was amazing - I get the impression that last year the Freo players would not have tried to bludgeon the ball forwards at all cost and subsequently see turn overs occur because the decision to move it forward in heavy traffic is flawed - they always had an option out the back for a reload when there was congestion. This lead to ball retention and lower scoring but lower turnovers and kept the opposition scoring in check (also a handball back is an "effective" possession whilst a smothered or misdirected under pressure kick forward is not - this provides the disparity in efficiency).
I can see some short term pain but long term gain as the players realise that they need to mix it up (reloading as opposed to offence at all costs) - I don't think it's skill execution but rather decision making and that will gel as the players confidence with the game plan increases.

Finally watched the game tonight, and my god did Son Son get a raw deal from the ump in that last qtr, especially considering the same ump had no hesitation in awarding McKenzie a free the second Ballas laid a hand on him later in the qtr.

Now I'm not completely opposed to known stagers being treated with a higher burden of proof by umps, but why does that same philosophy not extend to known freekick hunters like the Selwoods? How lifting the arm to deliberately cause head high contact is still considered a legitimate technique is beyond me given the supposed stance against head high contact.
I reckon the dark players that are known for looking for free kicks tend to get less sympathy.

I've thought about this - I believe that the change in the game plan is seeing Freo players try to move the ball forward by hand or foot as quickly as possible and the positioning is set up for this. In the GC game the amount of smothers by the GC was amazing - I get the impression that last year the Freo players would not have tried to bludgeon the ball forwards at all. I can see some short term pain but long term gain as the players realise that they need to mix it up (reloading as opposed to offence at all costs) - I don't think it's skill execution but rather decision making and that will gel as the players confidence with the game plan increases.

I agree, both Bulldogs and Suns game there was a surprising high number of smothers! You makea me feel much better! Here's hoping for Freo for end of season charge!

I reckon the dark players that are known for looking for free kicks tend to get less sympathy.
Not saying it couldn't be true but you'd hope it woudn't happen.
Whatever the reason Sonny was serially pack bashed inside fifty,in public without protection.He was also wearing purple.
Didn't notice Sonny play for a single free and as others have pointed out Balla's approach has been modified.

EDIT:Forgot to mention I don't think he had the ball once!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back