Gold Coast Stadium a step closer

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer is walking into one of the nicest rectangular stadiums in the country at Robina. Why on earth would they even contemplate it lol?

The only sport the AFL can share with is cricket.

They should work with CQ & CA to get some 20/20 games there.

Bligh insisted that the AFL would have to be a major stakeholder in a new stadium.

"I think it is important that the AFL talks about making an investment of its own funds to see a second team here at the Gold Coast," she said.

Talks between the AFL and the Government have been stalled for almost a year.

Bligh's announcement yesterday was met with the standard AFL hardball response.

"The AFL continues to have discussions with a range of stakeholders, including the Government," it said.

Wow, that sounds very ordinary that part. Given the GC17 is going to be a membership based organisation meaning nobody with deep pockets owning the club then the AFL is going to have to spend a lot of money keeping them going for a long time, having to also fund an expensive stadium for just one side will also be very harsh on the bottom line.

They are talking about a new stadium in Melbourne of a similar size but it is going to see 30 odd games and have a number of clubs queue up to use it. What will GC see, 4 minimum at gabba so 7 at a new stadium. It will cost a fair bit, overheads will be over just 7 games rather than 11.

If AFL is forced to fund a significant chunk of it then GC17 can say hello to a TD-like stadium, that would not be a great arrangement.

Looks like the Helensvale site is the preferred option for the AFL with the Gold Coast City Council hopefully financially backing the plan.

D-day vote on backing AFL home
Geoff Chambers
September 4th, 2008

THE AFL will ask the Gold Coast City Council to support a bid to secure land at Helensvale for $87 million to build a stadium for the new Gold Coast team.

After a 12-month study, AFL representatives are expected to lobby councillors to back moves to buy the land owned by reclusive Pat Buckler.

At today's 'D-day' meeting, where councillors will decide the fate of the $1.67 billion rapid transit system, the $400 million council headquarters and the AFL stadium, a push will be made to use ratepayers' money to partly fund a land purchase.

The site would include an extensive commercial element, which would propel Helensvale from sub-regional state status area to a key regional area.

A prominent local industry figure told The Bulletin last night that the State Government would have to approve the change.

Mayor Ron Clarke said the Helensvale site, east of the Pacific Highway, was a logical choice to house the Gold Coast AFL stadium.

"There are some problems associated with the proposal but I think it is a good idea and it's right on the hub there following the rail line," said Cr Clarke.

Sustainable City Future chairman Cr Peter Young said he would support a financial contribution by council towards the acquirement of land for the AFL.

"The early indication was that the council would make no financial contribution but my preference is that this presents a great strategic opportunity to deliver a significant facility," said Cr Young.

"I will support a similar investment like the council did with the Titans."

Cr Young intends to ask the AFL to re-consider sites at Nerang, where he wants the stadium built.

"I've just received two reports related to the Nerang investigation area and they both suggest that it would be suitable for a mixed use development," he said.

"I think the council should give direction to the AFL that Nerang shouldn't be dismissed."

City planning boss Cr Ted Shepherd is expected to argue against a financial contribution, which could cost ratepayers millions of dollars.

In July, 2005, the council paid just under $17 million to the Robina Land Corporation for the site at Robina that is now Skilled Park, the Titans home ground.

The State Government funded the construction of the stadium and the AFL has already committed more than $200 million to build a stadium.

Robina MP Ray Stevens said he was afraid the council would get involved in a financial deal, which could leave it short.

"This is the exact same economic genius that delivered a $16.9 million block of land to the ownership of ratepayers for Skilled Park at Robina when the highest valuation that could be reached, after three different valuations from the private sector, was $10.5 million," said Mr Stevens.

Councillors will also vote against the controversial new council headquarters, which would have been built at Robina.

Despite previously supporting the building, both Cr Clarke and Cr Young have endorsed the redevelopment of the existing Evandale site into a joint accommodation facility and cultural precinct.

Crs Ted Shepherd, Jan Grew, Bob La Castra, Greg Betts, Grant Pforr and Donna Gates are likely to vote in favour of the environmentally friendly green building, which would have amalgamated the Evandale and Nerang council offices.

"We simply can't afford that type of money and I think the case for the building has been flawed," said Cr Clarke.

"There are other ways to do it and my strong preference would be to develop Evandale into an administration building and cultural precinct.

"It is an important hub and we should retain that position."

Cr Young admitted they would have to rectify transport issues around the site.

Meanwhile, Transport Minister John Mickel yesterday sat down with Cr Clarke before today's decision on how much the council would contribute to the rapid transit project.

The council is tipped to pour in more than $130 million into the system, which will run from Griffith University to Broadbeach.

Cr Clarke said the council had handed Mr Mickel a firm message that the system must run from Helensvale to Coolangatta.

"I've told Mr Mickel what we expect and that we are committed to a system which runs the entire length of the city and doesn't stop at Broadbeach," he said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/09/04/15858_gold-coast-feature.html

I guess Helensvale was always going to be the preferred by AFL , as there are no houses about , close to train , close to huge shopping complex , and how the growth is in the northern corridor could be central Gold Coast in about 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back