Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bought a set for junior. The ZX7s are perhaps a bit hard for him to hit (the 4 iron is the more forgiving ZX)....but it will teach him to swing well to get results. We went to the range and once he realized to grip down (they are standard length and he is 5 foot 7) and not to drop his head downwards too much in his back swing he started playing them quite well.

How often would you replace your wedges ? Had mine nearly 3 years now .. 54 degree in particular just doesn’t seem to bite any more ..

Had irons same amount of time but think they’re fine ..

How often would you replace your wedges ? Had mine nearly 3 years now .. 54 degree in particular just doesn’t seem to bite any more ..

Had irons same amount of time but think they’re fine ..

On Talk Birdie to Me, a Ping rep recommended a rough rule of thumb that when you are ready to change grips, your wedges are probably done.

Sounds fairly unscientific to me…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

After buying and selling golf clubs (cheap brands) over the years as a beginner I've decided to have another crack. But I've gone cheap from the OP shop. I got a set of 1984 Taylor made technician iron set. Came with a nice bag and random wooden drivers that I probably won't use. $30 which I liked the sound of. If I stick with it I can upgrade. Does anyone know if these will be ok for beginner? They felt ok and were in good condition. I seen Taylor made and just went for them

After buying and selling golf clubs (cheap brands) over the years as a beginner I've decided to have another crack. But I've gone cheap from the OP shop. I got a set of 1984 Taylor made technician iron set. Came with a nice bag and random wooden drivers that I probably won't use. $30 which I liked the sound of. If I stick with it I can upgrade. Does anyone know if these will be ok for beginner? They felt ok and were in good condition. I seen Taylor made and just went for them
I hope that you’re a technician with a club in your hands. You’d want to middle them every time.

Probably $300 I know that's not much but i would be interested in buying used single irons or drivers and just replacing what I have as I go on a needs basis
Head to ozgolf.net.au

It's a golf forum a day you can simply put up you want an okay beginner iron set for $300

Heaps of blokes have sets they might be willing to offload

Ah crap! Got any recommendations?
Look for a cheap set of used clubs on eBay or Gumtree. Get something post 2010.
If you have a fast swing look for stiff shafts.
You want to enjoy golf and those old clubs won’t be enjoyable. If you want to get straight into playing golf again, don’t have much money and you’re happy to work on your golf game just buy the $30 set. Actually, just buy them as even if you hate them they’re only $30.
Depending on your budget, these Callaway clubs from Costco seem like a good deal, especially if you don’t have a fast swing speed.

IMG_2041.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, they'll be fine. Not sure how much of a beginner you are, buy everyone over the age of 40 had a dodgy 2nd hand set to start off with. One thing you want to focus on as a beginner is hitting the ball out of the middle of the face. These clubs will let you know straight away if you've done that. Middling the ball will feel like heaven. Miss the middle and you'll feel it in your elbows.
A great way to learn IMO.

Probably $300 I know that's not much but i would be interested in buying used single irons or drivers and just replacing what I have as I go on a needs basis
I bought these a few years ago as a beginner (I'm still a high handicapper) and I have to say they are excellent value and a lot better than you'd expect it to be. They are "Strata" but made my Callaway as a subsidy or off label product: https://www.callawaygolf.com/clubs/...s/mens/compset-strata-2019-mens-12-piece.html

It's a easily enough to play with (thought I recommend replacing the driver eventually as it's basically just a flat metal head and ditto the putter) and the bag alone is as good as bags $100 easily.

I would probably say they'll be more forgiving and easier to hit than clubs 30 years ago,

In the process of getting new clubs but haven't decided yet, has anyone used the Callaway Big Bertha 23 and do they recommend?

100% need to get fit even if you’re s**t. Especially for drivers which in my experience can feel drastically different.

I’ve had my current driver for 8 years. When I was fit I tested Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Taylormade and maybe the mizuno one.

For me I remember the Titleist and Taylormade ones were best. Almost the same numbers. Callaway was by far the worst and felt awful. But that could be completely in the reverse for you. Won’t know until you get fit.

100% need to get fit even if you’re s**t. Especially for drivers which in my experience can feel drastically different.

I’ve had my current driver for 8 years. When I was fit I tested Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Taylormade and maybe the mizuno one.

For me I remember the Titleist and Taylormade ones were best. Almost the same numbers. Callaway was by far the worst and felt awful. But that could be completely in the reverse for you. Won’t know until you get fit.
I'm looking at the irons set, not driver.

I'm looking at the irons set, not driver.

As above. Get fit. I got titleist T100s clubs about 18 months/2 years ago. Tested out ping, taylormade and mizuno. Nothing came close to the titleist clubs.

If you’re buying off the rack it’s a lucky dip.

Of course the whole art is where/how to get fitted.

But that's probably another whole thread....
Retail fittings at House of Golf MiMatch at Drummond golf
Private fitters like Golf Fitting Hub, Club Champion, Coolclubz
Private fittings at various Golf courses/indoor sims
Your own PGA pro
The club manufacturers themselves

It's definitely not easy knowing where to go or who to see

That's my worry about getting it done at the local Ray Drummond, are they just going to sell me what they want to move
Unless you're exceptionally tall or short, off the rack length should be OK. Most club fitters will keep asking what you like/are comfortable with, I.e. they'll sell you what you like the look/feel of. Drummond will be fine for the above.
If you really want to dive into club flex/spin rates/different shafts/lie angles etc. Maybe head to a club fitter.
In a basic sense, Drummond/local golf retailer will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back