Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

In between now and picking them up I'm getting married so I think the time will fly - first weekend I'll get to use them is potentially club champs. In my bag until now were my original $500 full set of beginner clubs (bag included), reckon it's worth playing the irons for club champs, even if I have no idea what distances I'll hit them? I reckon I'll give it a go.

Push the wedding back

#priorities

Last edited:

In between now and picking them up I'm getting married so I think the time will fly - first weekend I'll get to use them is potentially club champs. In my bag until now were my original $500 full set of beginner clubs (bag included), reckon it's worth playing the irons for club champs, even if I have no idea what distances I'll hit them? I reckon I'll give it a go.
Which beginner set did you use? I recently purchased the Strata 16 piece for about $413.
Also at what point did you decide to get a fitting and upgrade?

Which beginner set did you use? I recently purchased the Strata 16 piece for about $413.
Also at what point did you decide to get a fitting and upgrade?

Had a random brand called Niblick, 12 piece set I think - Driver, 3h, 4h, 5-sw. Told myself I'd upgrade when I got my handicap under 25, was a random arbitrary point in time.

The driver I got with my beginner set is a little bit dodgy already so thinking of getting a new one.
I don't generally like to purchase older stuff but is there much of difference between 2017, 18 or the current 2019 drivers on the market?
Wondering if I should just buy one of the new ones and that should set me for 5 years or if it's better to go with a cheaper model from a couple of years ago and then upgrade when I'm a bit more advanced with a propper fitting.

Not a fan of second hand stuff as don't like opening items not in new condition and I never trust if it's been taken care of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The driver I got with my beginner set is a little bit dodgy already so thinking of getting a new one.
I don't generally like to purchase older stuff but is there much of difference between 2017, 18 or the current 2019 drivers on the market?
Wondering if I should just buy one of the new ones and that should set me for 5 years or if it's better to go with a cheaper model from a couple of years ago and then upgrade when I'm a bit more advanced with a propper fitting.

Not a fan of second hand stuff as don't like opening items not in new condition and I never trust if it's been taken care of.

Hit a golf store that does fittings. Try and buy i say. Dont worry about release years etc. In theory yes technology changes over time but there's so many drivers and what they can do.

Almost no difference from one year to the next. Nicklaus hit a persimmon driver 300 yards in the 60's. I went to Taylormade at the MGA and you feel like a pro. Shafts are important too. Nothing wrong with getting last year's driver half price.

Hit a golf store that does fittings. Try and buy i say. Dont worry about release years etc. In theory yes technology changes over time but there's so many drivers and what they can do.
Almost no difference from one year to the next. Nicklaus hit a persimmon driver 300 yards in the 60's. I went to Taylormade at the MGA and you feel like a pro. Shafts are important too. Nothing wrong with getting last year's driver half price.
Its interesting though because while there might not be gains year to year there has to be improvement over time otherwise the companies aren't in business.

How often do people upgrade their clubs? I would think longer than 5 years and you surely have to start to fall behind the 8ball.

Its interesting though because while there might not be gains year to year there has to be improvement over time otherwise the companies aren't in business.

How often do people upgrade their clubs? I would think longer than 5 years and you surely have to start to fall behind the 8ball.

purely upto the person. I have friends who think i should change now its been 3 years. but why, yeah my clubs are forgiving ones and hypoethtically i could get better with better ones but hey, whoa, settle down.....im cool with it.

Each to their own but unless you have plenty of disposable cash I wouldn't rush out and buy a new driver. Given that you're new to the game your swing is probably going to develop quite a bit over the next year as your golf game develops.

As peternorth said, go to a golf shop that does fittings and test a few different drivers. try to get some advice on what shaft you should be using as that's probably the most important thing for a beginner.

Once you know what shaft you should be using then go out and look for a cheaper new or second hand driver. That'll be plenty good enough for your first year or two.

Do not underestimate the gullibility of the golfing public. As an example I know one guy who would always upgrade his driver every year and for the time i played with him (about 10 or so years) he did not increase his driver distance. He was always straight though,as he had a consistent swing.

I would suggest its about 98% marketing and 2% performance. Club golfers are always looking for an edge in improving performance. Naturally we look to see what pros are using. Manufacturers sponsor players, we copy them and buy their equipment.
There's heaps of YouTube videos comparing old/new clubs and the difference is surprisingly minimal.

This.
I've got a Nike driver in my bag that is there purely for display as it has waaaaay too much flex for my rickety old swing.
That's $400 down the drain.

This.
I've got a Nike driver in my bag that is there purely for display as it has waaaaay too much flex for my rickety old swing.
That's $400 down the drain.

Just buy a new stiffer shaft????

Just buy a new stiffer shaft????

That's the plan, eventually.
But at present I'm hitting my 2 iron off the tee pretty consistently to 220-240 mtrs and, more importantly, straight.
I've never achieved that with any driver I've had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back