News Gone: Daniel Talia

Daniel Talia next year?

• Takes a year off, he’s a champ, he can do what he likes!

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Is drafted / signs to another team

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Goes undrafted / not signed to another team

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Signs as a coach somewhere next year

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't delist a player until after the Free Agency period.

If he gets a free agency offer, we will get compo - the fact we were or weren't offering a contract doesn't matter, I don't think.

They could just wait to grab him as a delisted free agent given we've already said we will delist him

And net us picks of little value even to trade up late picks are of little value.

Band 5 is the lowest compensation that can be given, which is 3rd round.

If both players were to attract Band 5 compensation then they'd both be 3rd round after our 1st 3rd rd pick (approx pick 40)

AFL may look at them both and deem neither to be worthy of compensation at all, which could happen.

IF they're both worthy of minimum compensation then you're looking at around 450 points worth each, which put together equals about Pick 20 in terms of points (912)

That's nothing to sniff at, particularly if you're trying to deal with the Bulldogs for their 1st rounder so they've got points for Darcy.

My guess is that we know that our position on the ladder means we may be able to get the most out of compensation for them, and we're telling these guys EARLY that we won't be offering them a contract so that their managers, and recruiters that might be interested in them, can get on the front foot.

It's smart work by us, if my thinking is right.

Edit: Having said that, my guess is that Lynch will go during the Free Agency period, Talia won't.

Very sad ending for him, deserved a better exit than not being able to get on the park for a whole year.

Took Truck's role and absolutely dominated it. Made many full forwards his bitch over the years.

Don't understand why only the Bulldogs are a good fit. I would think most clubs thinking of challenging would be interested.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty are a good fit, of the top sides they seem the team that would need a key defender the most.

I hope he ends up at a good side where he can play finals and maybe win a flag as that’s what he deserves rather than ending up at a s**t club having to defend 60 i50s a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Daniel Talia would want to join us I remember reading the Talia family cutting ties with the club

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories Daniel. Very sad that you won’t be getting a farewell game, but can understand the club’s decision.

Genuine champion of the club.

Hoping he gives Butts his #12 guernsey, Butts accepts it and that he does it proud.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't they just battle it out in the DFA market for his signature?

I honestly don't know mate, it just makes no sense for us to telegraph the fact that we won't offer them a new contract if there was a possibility of compensation. Which in this case Lynch would almost certainly get us something.

If no one grabs them during the Free Agency period it also opens up the possibility of their parent club reconsidering whether to take them or not, as my guess is that we can still change our mind up until list lodgement after free agency.

It's a weird scenario for sure.

If he can get himself fit, there would be a number of clubs in the market for a lockdown KPD.

Collingwood, Saints, Gold Coast, Essendon plus others.

I honestly don't know mate, it just makes no sense for us to telegraph the fact that we won't offer them a new contract if there was a possibility of compensation. Which in this case Lynch would almost certainly get us something.

If no one grabs them during the Free Agency period it also opens up the possibility of their parent club reconsidering whether to take them or not, as my guess is that we can still change our mind up until list lodgement after free agency.

My guess is we either know he has little interest, or are confident that even if there was interest, the contract terms aren't enough to get us any compensation.

From memory players like Mayne required pretty significant contracts for players of that age, clubs would probably need to give Talia/Lynch 2-3 years on $500k+ and maybe there's just not that level of interest

There’s probably also the issue that by announcing it we can give the farewell they deserve. Which matches the talk about improving culture.

Back