Goulburn Valley FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good win by Tat today and are virtually assured of finals action. The real story could be the re-emergence of Shepparton as a contender. Rumours are that Jordan Williams has seriously injured his achilles and will not play again this year. if true they are big outs for Ky. Echuca accounted for Swans easily today. I feel for the Swans as I just dont know how they can climb the ladder in the near future.

Sorry Jon given you were referencing Kyabram last year and the inequality for finishing highest on the ladder and referencing Shepparton getting a Prelim there before beating Ky in the GF as well as having the luxury of training on Deakin I assumed you were talking about Kyabram. My apologies.

I imagine the league views Deakin as some sort of symbolic centre piece or home of the league. Not privy to revenue streams in relation to the GF at Deakin or if that is a factor but I am certain tradition plays a role in the GF being scheduled at Deakin each year. I am fond of tradition. I am however ambivalent about the Preliminary final and where it is played. It could easily be rotated as per other finals. League delegates need to be more proactive if they want change.
The tradition that should have been kept was the timming of the GF.

The tradition that should have been kept was the timming of the GF.

Will that ever return to where it rightfully should have stayed? Day after the AFL grand final. Huge weekend on the piss. Massive crowd with numbers there from all across Victoria basically.

Used to love Deakin. Now am like a few others here and seeing it for what it is. Wind swept, and facilities that aren't great.

Think you mentioned the '92 grand final recently Silver? What a day.

Will that ever return to where it rightfully should have stayed? Day after the AFL grand final. Huge weekend on the piss. Massive crowd with numbers there from all across Victoria basically.

Used to love Deakin. Now am like a few others here and seeing it for what it is. Wind swept, and facilities that aren't great.

There a plans afoot for another to take that time slot from next year if the gv doesnt.

Yes mate '92 was a deluge! Dirty Williams and Greg Dax had a confrontation in the warm ups ... Set up the day beautifully! I too would love to see the GF back on the Sunday after the AFL GF.

In my time of watching GF's at Deakin Rochy won in '92, '99 and '08 (Against Tatura, Shepp United and Seymour) Lost a shitload in '89 against Shepp United, '90 against Euroa, '93 (after the siren) against Shepparton, '98 against Tatura, a couple against Echuca early 2000's, '16 against Kyabram. But I have never felt a particular Shepparton advantage at Deakin. The umpire decided '93 and Dean Lupson's king hit on Ross Andrews helped decide '90. Otherwise the better team won on each of those occasions.

Yes it is a blustery pain in the arse late September but surely if it is windy at Deakin on GF day it will be windy in Mooroopna and Tatura as potential alternative venues. Fact is Spring is often bloody windy!

Ps. Not a bad record for a small country town. Played in almost one GF every 3 years average over a 30 year period.

There are probably clubs with a better record for making GF's over that period ... Echuca or Tatura maybe? Shepparton? Someone will tell me.

Last edited:
Yes mate '92 was a deluge! Dirty Williams and Greg Dax had a confrontation in the warm ups ... Set up the day beautifully! I too would love to see the GF back on the Sunday after the AFL GF.

I think it would be good to go back but I do not think it would work now seeing that now it a long weekend with the public holiday on the Friday for AFL Grand Final

Sorry Jon given you were referencing Kyabram last year and the inequality for finishing highest on the ladder and referencing Shepparton getting a Prelim there before beating Ky in the GF as well as having the luxury of training on Deakin I assumed you were talking about Kyabram. My apologies.

I imagine the league views Deakin as some sort of symbolic centre piece or home of the league. Not privy to revenue streams in relation to the GF at Deakin or if that is a factor but I am certain tradition plays a role in the GF being scheduled at Deakin each year. I am fond of tradition. I am however ambivalent about the Preliminary final and where it is played. It could easily be rotated as per other finals. League delegates need to be more proactive if they want change.
If you're fond of tradition, the GF should go back to Tat then, where it was originally held prior to going over to Shepp.

Obviously I referenced it last year as it was the most recent case at hand. If it’s not an advantage to play the last two finals at your home ground, in your home rooms on a pretty unique ground than I don’t what is.
It’s also common knowledge that Deakin is far more wind affected than other grounds. I can’t remember games at mooroopna, Ky,
Rochy or echuca being consistently hampered by wind. Trial the prelim at mooroopna for a couple of years and see how it goes. They host the kdl granny and do a great job. The surface is much better than Deakin. It can’t hurt can it? The GV seems to be quite stubborn when it comes to change.
Jordy Williams ruptured his Achilles on Tuesday training, has had a horrible run with injury this year. Big loss for Ky but he hasn’t played his best footy for a while now due to a persistent hammy. 6 guys to come in to a side that beat Mansfield by 10 goals down there so I think there depth is much better this year.
Interesting that a couple of big names didn’t play for echuca yesterday ringo? Walker and valentine, if either of them go down echuca are cooked in my opinion.

In my time of watching GF's at Deakin Rochy won in '92, '99 and '08 (Against Tatura, Shepp United and Seymour) Lost a s**tload in '89 against Shepp United, '90 against Euroa, '93 (after the siren) against Shepparton, '98 against Tatura, a couple against Echuca early 2000's, '16 against Kyabram. But I have never felt a particular Shepparton advantage at Deakin. The umpire decided '93 and Dean Lupson's king hit on Ross Andrews helped decide '90. Otherwise the better team won on each of those occasions.

Yes it is a blustery pain in the arse late September but surely if it is windy at Deakin on GF day it will be windy in Mooroopna and Tatura as potential alternative venues. Fact is Spring is often bloody windy!

Ps. Not a bad record for a small country town. Played in almost one GF every 3 years average over a 30 year period.

There are probably clubs with a better record for making GF's over that period ... Echuca or Tatura maybe? Shepparton? Someone will tell me.

Can remember all those grand finals from 92 onwards vividly. Is well worth watching the tape of the 92 one. Captures the confrontation in the warm up & the conditions were horrendous.

You're right, an umpire decided the outcome of one grand final, but better teams won the other ones we lost. Home ground advantage was not a factor.

Am biased, but think Rochy have punched above for the past 30 years.

Deakin's surface just isn't what it should be. 10 years ago it was pristine in late September, but others have surpassed it. Mooroopna, Tat, Seymour.

Jon's point about initiating change is valid. Surely trialling the prelim elsewhere is worthwhile. Kind of embarrassing turning up to prelim final each year at Deakin and there's nobody there, no real atmosphere.

Agreed, spring can throw all sorts of conditions, and is generally our windiest time of year. Deakin is just way more wind affected than other places. Somewhat of a wind tunnel.

On a side note, did anybody else see the game at Rochester yesterday? United's game style was staggering. Stop, kick the ball short sideways, ignore runners, then turn it over on the wing. Kicked their only goal late into the last quarter.

They actually have some good cattle. Unsure why they would be coached this way??

Last edited:
The preliminary final is basically the Shepp Swans final they get the catering rights because the league doesn't have finals at Princess Park , Moroopna have tried for a while to get the prelim cant see why not as the Swans could still cater for it .

At Memorial Oval at Euroa yesterday, First time been there. What nice looking surrounding the ground.

Really impressed with the Bulldogs, was soild all game. Could of won by more

Do not know what going wrong with Euroa, There were a better team earlier in the year than now.

Nice to see some humble pie being eaten when people 4 weeks ago said Tatura will miss out of finals

Obviously I referenced it last year as it was the most recent case at hand. If it’s not an advantage to play the last two finals at your home ground, in your home rooms on a pretty unique ground than I don’t what is.
It’s also common knowledge that Deakin is far more wind affected than other grounds. I can’t remember games at mooroopna, Ky,
Rochy or echuca being consistently hampered by wind. Trial the prelim at mooroopna for a couple of years and see how it goes. They host the kdl granny and do a great job. The surface is much better than Deakin. It can’t hurt can it? The GV seems to be quite stubborn when it comes to change.
Jordy Williams ruptured his Achilles on Tuesday training, has had a horrible run with injury this year. Big loss for Ky but he hasn’t played his best footy for a while now due to a persistent hammy. 6 guys to come in to a side that beat Mansfield by 10 goals down there so I think there depth is much better this year.
Interesting that a couple of big names didn’t play for echuca yesterday ringo? Walker and valentine, if either of them go down echuca are cooked in my opinion.

Walker and Valentine are fine and Kirkby played his first game but in reality cant see him having an impact.

At Memorial Oval at Euroa yesterday, First time been there. What nice looking surrounding the ground.

Do not know what going wrong with Euroa, There were a better team earlier in the year than now.

Nice to see some humble pie being eaten when people 4 weeks ago said Tatura will miss out of finals

You cant help yourself can you??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cheap jibes because Tatura have made finals are not necessary mate. You were full of chatter early doors and then became invisible throughout the season as Tatura has struggled.

Reality is, Tatura, Rochy or Benalla will be making up the numbers in this year's finals.

The cheap jibes because Tatura have made finals are not necessary mate. You were full of chatter early doors and then became invisible throughout the season as Tatura has struggled.

Reality is, Tatura, Rochy or Benalla will be making up the numbers in this year's finals.

It was not a "Jibe" on here. I have heard people off Bigfooty say it. Watching Foxy and JR, Foxy even said it a couple of weeks ago that Tat was not going to make finals

Sliver, I have been "invisible" because some of the boring topics that have come up or there has been topic that I have no real opinion in. I have also been busy with work (Which started a new job earlier in the year) and other commitments so Big footy is down the list of priorities to read and comment on.

Tatura in Round 12-15(Lost 4 on the trot) lost by an average of 16.5 pts and in those 4 included 24 defeat to 1st and 17 points to 2nd and on top of that we had about 5-6 injuries to top players in the team. Most of them have or are coming back into the side. Tatura always been positive during the losses , its that I have nothing to report on so I don't post of here and seeing I have less time.

I do agree Tatura, Rochy or Benalla are not going to up in the pointy end of finals(Hate the saying "making up the numbers" in footy ) but I would add Seymour to the list of 3. I think those 4 can give the Top 3(Maybe not so much Ky) a shake. Look have a look at Mansfield vs Benalla last year and that shook up the finals until the GF result.

It was not a "Jibe" on here. I have heard people off Bigfooty say it. Watching Foxy and JR, Foxy even said it a couple of weeks ago that Tat was not going to make finals

Sliver, I have been "invisible" because some of the boring topics that have come up or there has been topic that I have no real opinion in. I have also been busy with work (Which started a new job earlier in the year) and other commitments so Big footy is down the list of priorities to read and comment on.

Tatura in Round 12-15(Lost 4 on the trot) lost by an average of 16.5 pts and in those 4 included 24 defeat to 1st and 17 points to 2nd and on top of that we had about 5-6 injuries to top players in the team. Most of them have or are coming back into the side. Tatura always been positive during the losses , its that I have nothing to report on so I don't post of here and seeing I have less time.

I do agree Tatura, Rochy or Benalla are not going to up in the pointy end of finals(Hate the saying "making up the numbers" in footy ) but I would add Seymour to the list of 3. I think those 4 can give the Top 3(Maybe not so much Ky) a shake. Look have a look at Mansfield vs Benalla last year and that shook up the finals until the GF result.
So we have now 6
Contenders to play off against Ky? Please

What are the the odds of Rochy and Benalla having a draw and Tat losing to Shepp this week , that wouldnt be good for old mate Oz .

What are the the odds of Rochy and Benalla having a draw and Tat losing to Shepp this week , that wouldnt be good for old mate Oz .

Not Good for the Bulldogs if that was the case but will be interesting if it was as 4th-6th would on same points with a draw. Not very often difference between 6th and 7th would be a drawn game.

Yes big games Elvis. Who wins do you think? Benalla gave Rochy a touch up earlier in the season and Benalla at Benalla with a finals spot on the line will be a tough ask for Rochy. I reckon Shepp might get Tatura on the weekend although Tatura are at home. A loss should get them 6th spot on percentage. Your theory on the draw is an interesting one though. 😎

Yes big games Elvis. Who wins do you think? Benalla gave Rochy a touch up earlier in the season and Benalla at Benalla with a finals spot on the line will be a tough ask for Rochy. I reckon Shepp might get Tatura on the weekend although Tatura are at home. A loss should get them 6th spot on percentage. Your theory on the draw is an interesting one though. 😎
Rochy look to be in pretty good form the past few weeks think they can beat Benalla , Shepp the third best team should get over Tat although they seem to be playing better the last couple of weeks .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back