Goulburn Valley General Thread 2011- 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradrowe I love your spiel about Rochy but mate back in 1992 and 1999 every club played more locals than, times have changed, like in 2008 when the club had 8 imports, that's around average...so please dont give us the great spiel on how Rochy play the locals and all that crap, every single club has the great story you wrote on how good this and that local was back than, miller, watson, mcphee bla bla bla, every club has those stories...they spend as much as anyone and are spending a lot more this year than last year...

Carry on...
GVFL69, Rowey was just contributing to the discussion about rochy raising and spending cash... this being a forum for discussion and all... and providing some historical context.

why dont you tell us about how the club your involved in raises and spends money, whats worked well in the past etc...

also, dont hesitate to say something positive.

We seem to always haggle about who gets paid this and how much clubs spend. Given the GV is the No 1 league in country footy we would expect clubs to spend some good dollars in putting sides together. In comparison to
albury and yarra we would still be way behind. wang rovers budget 350k and was behind those 2 in 2013. love your "pick a figure for Ky" and go with 320K. Evan when they played in back to back GF's their playing budget was less than half of this. Can garuantee you Ky would not be in the top 4/5 of playing budgets in the league. Newman, Ogden and Morgan play for alot less than the going rate for players such as these in the GV.
What do you think mansfield spend to get their Melb boys together? Would be big coin I can tell you.

Jaggo would you agree that Ky are spending a lot more this year than any other?
Just looking at who they have recruited. Sam Sheldon told Echuca $40,000. He may not get this much, but I can't possibly see him getting less than $20,000. Young bloke, living in Melbourne, straight out of the AFL with no connection to Kyabram, would have to cash in now a bit. Tom Sheldon is a terrific young guy, but his actions certainly put him in the category of liking money. Conservatively lets put him at $500 a game or $10,000 for the year. He is playing against his home town and another club in the league that he signed for. Then you have the Queenslanders. Simon Seddon told any club talking to him that it was $1200 for him and $800 and $600 for his mates. These are the figures he openly said, so we could assume this to be accurate. So between the 3 that is $52,000 for the year. Afro, again a lovely guy, but has never been anywhere where he was not paid. Lives in Melbourne, being super conservative, I will put him on $300 and do not believe he would get this little. That is another $6,000. Josh Linton is a best and fairest winner or runner up? who lives in Melbourne. Has to be on at least $300 a game, and so he should be. Another $6,000. Not including Foxy Emmett or Wearden, that is $94,000. Lets say Stink Newman was on $600. Being a local, I doubt this very highly, but for the argument I will put him at that. Which is $12,000 less for the year. So around $80,000 more. If this is not right, which figures would be incorrect?
Not having a go at Ky at all, because I respect them as a club and there is nothing wrong with this, as I don't believe they would have paid out a huge amount last year, but is this something that happens much around the league? Quiet one year, then have a real crack? Or is it more based on how lucky you are with recruiting?

Tatsean who are the 3 metro melbourne players as may have missed it? Know the VFL players but would be interested in the 3 others you refer to and clubs they are coming from?
not sure of their names either as I can't find the article anymore, but I know one is the coach's Nephew from one of the Essendon league clubs...sorry I can't be more specific, will have to wait until the clearances start coming through

Why does it matter how much clubs spend? If you have the money why not spend it, The players are going to get the money there asking from either this league or another,and the way that i see it it makes our league stronger getting players like Sam Sheldon, who could play in a higher league like the vfl or sanf. The clubs all around this league still have to do all the hard work of finding the money weather its through sponsorship, raffles their gate taking canteen bar ect. and by putting a good side out on the ground contributes to all of these, so who cares who is spending what.

I reckon your half right. 180-200K is what they spend but how much did Tatura pay out last year and United? How much are United and Ky paying this year. Around $300K last year and this year I am lead to believe which when you look at it 30-40% more than Rochy.
Rumours are just that. Eagle on $2200 a game. Carey $1150 a game. Wall to Tatura $1600 a game. Ky spending $320K for players this year. Once again all rumours and probably so far from the truth but who really cares. You have it or dont but dont put Rochy in top tier of spending as you couldnt be further from the truth.
Just that all rumours so move on.
By the way Rochy jumpers all replaced with jumper sponsor last year so when did you last attend a game?

Watch this space about facilities as obviously you need sports grants from local and state government for these. Plenty of ordinary facilities in the league so not alone there.
I won't publicly list the exact payments that I know, as I do get the annual report sent to me, but it is not viewable on the club website, so I don't think they are for public knowledge and viewing. But I will say that Tat spent a little over $200K last season for coaches and players combined. So it would be nowhere near $300K for players, I would say closer to $150K...But I agree with you on those large amounts that some clubs may pay. My father in law was a secretary for a O&M club around 5 years ago and he said there were a few clubs then paying $250K+ for players in the O&M but more than half were paying under $150K, so I would expect it similar in the GV as well.

Jaggo would you agree that Ky are spending a lot more this year than any other?
Just looking at who they have recruited. Sam Sheldon told Echuca $40,000. He may not get this much, but I can't possibly see him getting less than $20,000. Young bloke, living in Melbourne, straight out of the AFL with no connection to Kyabram, would have to cash in now a bit. Tom Sheldon is a terrific young guy, but his actions certainly put him in the category of liking money. Conservatively lets put him at $500 a game or $10,000 for the year. He is playing against his home town and another club in the league that he signed for. Then you have the Queenslanders. Simon Seddon told any club talking to him that it was $1200 for him and $800 and $600 for his mates. These are the figures he openly said, so we could assume this to be accurate. So between the 3 that is $52,000 for the year. Afro, again a lovely guy, but has never been anywhere where he was not paid. Lives in Melbourne, being super conservative, I will put him on $300 and do not believe he would get this little. That is another $6,000. Josh Linton is a best and fairest winner or runner up? who lives in Melbourne. Has to be on at least $300 a game, and so he should be. Another $6,000. Not including Foxy Emmett or Wearden, that is $94,000. Lets say Stink Newman was on $600. Being a local, I doubt this very highly, but for the argument I will put him at that. Which is $12,000 less for the year. So around $80,000 more. If this is not right, which figures would be incorrect?
Not having a go at Ky at all, because I respect them as a club and there is nothing wrong with this, as I don't believe they would have paid out a huge amount last year, but is this something that happens much around the league? Quiet one year, then have a real crack? Or is it more based on how lucky you are with recruiting?

Of course they are spending more than last year, they didn't have one single recruit in 2012. I think it's a combination of having more luck with recruiting and having the money available. Once you land a couple of signatures early, recruiting seems to become a little easier as the possibility of finals is much more attractive to players. I think recruiting is great for all clubs as long as its sustainable and the club has the funds available. Ky in particular have huge increases in crowds when the team is up and going particularly the night fixtures, this results in higher revenue. Therefore the recruits in a way help to pay for themselves.

I won't publicly list the exact payments that I know, as I do get the annual report sent to me, but it is not viewable on the club website, so I don't think they are for public knowledge and viewing. But I will say that Tat spent a little over $200K last season for coaches and players combined. So it would be nowhere near $300K for players, I would say closer to $150K...But I agree with you on those large amounts that some clubs may pay. My father in law was a secretary for a O&M club around 5 years ago and he said there were a few clubs then paying $250K+ for players in the O&M but more than half were paying under $150K, so I would expect it similar in the GV as well.

If Tat spent $220-230,000 with 6-8 good local kids in the side, is it possible to win a flag spending $150-180,000? Even with a pretty good local base, Tat still had to recruit aggressively...is it possible to win a flag anymore in a more conservative manner?

If Tat spent $220-230,000 with 6-8 good local kids in the side, is it possible to win a flag spending $150-180,000? Even with a pretty good local base, Tat still had to recruit aggressively...is it possible to win a flag anymore in a more conservative manner?
I think it would be hard to win with spending under $150K on players. As in my first post that you quoted on, the more than half of O&M clubs that paid under $150K a few years ago definitely weren't in the Top 4 teams. I would say the same in 2012 in the GV. Would expect that all of the top 6 of 2012 paid over $150K. Tatura did not spend much over $200K on total coaches and players, so pretty good effort and of the GF premiership team, 12 of them, not 6-8 played juniors with Tatura or stepped up from nearby KDFL clubs so we have a very good local base.

My ladder predictions to get some talk going
Rochy
tat
ky
united
swans
mansfield

seymour
m,pna
echuca
euroa
benalla
shepp

Think you are selling united short, 3rd last year and were forced to play injured players in the prelim. Have picked up a 100 goal full forward, a chf and chb and Quinn from nathalia. Would expect them to finish top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you are selling united short, 3rd last year and were forced to play injured players in the prelim. Have picked up a 100 goal full forward, a chf and chb and Quinn from nathalia. Would expect them to finish top 2.

Agree United definite top 2 this season. 3rd flattered them last year but will improve alot this coming season.

United
Rochester
Kyabram
Seymour
Tatura
Mooroopna

Swans
Mansfield
Echuca
Shepparton
Euroa
Benalla

Benalla - woodenspoon?? - should merge with All Blacks and lock it down to a one club town - like Hamilton have done. Pool all the resources and people. Different as the two Hamiltons were in the same comp, but gee they have been poor for a long time in two comps. It would free up players for the Swanpools, Goorambats, Tatongs etc... and the like? Thoughts?

Agree United definite top 2 this season. 3rd flattered them last year but will improve alot this coming season.

United
Rochester
Kyabram
Seymour
Tatura
Mooroopna

Swans
Mansfield
Echuca
Shepparton
Euroa
Benalla

United
Tat
Ky
Mansfield
Rochy
Seymour

Mooroopna
Swans
Echuca
Euroa
Benella
Shepp

Benella have retrieved some pretty handy young talent eg- Sam martyn, nick warnock and lachy smith, and r always pretty strong in the 3rds, so hopefully things r on the right track!

pretty sure you cant depend on not getting injuries again this year as most clubs do and yes eagle will kick goals but they are all what ifs and he could have a down yr i just think there midfiel hasnt got the depth to go with rochys and tat and now kys also there ruck stocks arent the greatest and have some injury prone backman (carrol,gillespie).. Just my opinion just like you have all the best

pretty sure you cant depend on not getting injuries again this year as most clubs do and yes eagle will kick goals but they are all what ifs and he could have a down yr i just think there midfiel hasnt got the depth to go with rochys and tat and now kys also there ruck stocks arent the greatest and have some injury prone backman (carrol,gillespie).. Just my opinion just like you have all the best

Have heard with greater forward and back stocks, looby and Dawes could be spending more time in the midfield

If any GV clubs are looking at organising practise matches for this season, Keilor FC are looking for a match..? Inbox me for details, cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back