Match Discussion Grand Final re-match

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
This Saturday at the Brunswick Street Oval Fitzroy take on 2012 Grand Final opponents Parkdale. Fresh from their first win in Premier B last week, the Roys will be keen to notch their second win and go into the second half of the season with a chance of avoiding the relegation zone.

This will go a long way towards showing if Fitzroy can stay up in B grade. They will need to play better than they did last year but with that first win out of the way hopefully they will.

Pickerings return to the forward line certainly made an impact in the first half. It'll be interesting to see how he pulls up this week.

Two in a row and I know the reason why: its sponge cake. I had some sponge cake down at Werribee and some sponge cake on Saturday at work. It was my nurse Laura’s birthday during the week and Mrs Derrinalphil brought in a cake with candles on top just before I left for the BSO. Laura had said that during the week her dad had a family gathering where he had produced, yet again, a “bloody sponge cake”. Laura said she detested sponge cake and that her father had the same Coles sponge cake every year despite her protestations. Have one guess what sort of cake Mrs Derrinalphil unveiled for Laura: sponge cake!!!
Ken Piesse, the sports writer, was the guest at the luncheon. I did not book as I was working late but I went in anyway and drank some of Hillie’s red wine. The food at the luncheon is terrible, the wine pleasant, the company terrific and the guest speakers worth the 40 bucks. Book yourself in for one. Ken had some great stories about the Fitzroy player’s of the 80s, a few great yarns about “Yabba Jeans” and gave some insights to Brad Hodge’s non selection for Australia. Ken has a book selling business and we gave him a book as a present. I wonder if he will sell it.
We lined up with a new player from the under nineteens , one Joe Hill. Ablett will play after the bye but Josh is still having problems with his ankle. Speckie did not get a run in the seniors despite kicking 16 the week before in the twos.
Kelly brought her dog Tonka along . Tonka and I have something in common: hand knitted Fitzroy footy jumpers. Tonka is on the Fitzroy sponsor’s sign. I wonder why the club uses a picture of Tonka rather than me?
Could someone get a snap of Tonka from the facebook page and put it up? Its beyond my computer skills to do so.

We kicked the first goal of the match but the first quarter was the most disappointing quarter for the year. We were being thrashed all around the ground. We could not win a man on man contest. We had no spread, run or carry. The pressure got to Rory; he panicked and attempted an awful switch of play which gifted Parkdale an easy goal. We had not adapted to the conditions. The ground was wet and muddy, requiring strong minds and bodies. We went into the quarter time break four goals down.
In retrospect we killed them for the rest of the game, scoring 9 10 to 5 4 to finally run out winners by 7 points. Their AFL player Robbins did not return after half time but we had turned the game around during the second quarter. Our defence, once again, was terrific. Gary McCarthy won the “one percenters” award and is my prediction for the B grade team of the year. He did not get as much of the ball as last week but opposition full forwards don’t get an easy kick.
I helped out with the under nineteens for a few years and I enjoyed the good form of a few of those lads i.e. Tommy Cheshire and Will Johnson “get a haircut” . Tommy was a “gun” two years ago but has lost his way somewhat. Will finally looked at home in the seniors but must get rid of the ball quicker. He is used to smashing his way clear of tacklers in the seconds.
We dominated the third quarter with Dalts playing his best footy for the year. He hung onto the ball a second to long and missed an easy goal. BOTP Fenton actually had two shots at goal and got one of them. He took a mark twenty yards out and the Tram Conductors were screaming at him to not pass it off, ignore any handballs and have a shot. It was painful for him but he did what he was told.
The last quarter was a ripper. Parkdale scored one goal, against the run of play, with a simply astounding kick, outside fifty on a wet day in the last quarter when most players had difficulty getting the ball over the man on the mark. For the rest of the quarter we had their measure but some inaccurate kicking kept us on tender hooks till the end.
Pickers, with four goals, was probably the difference between the sides. Don’t we look a much better side with a key forward?
I am off to the US and will miss the next two matches. I am taking my hand knitted Fitzroy jumper and will get snaps of it in front of the White House etc. Young Master Derrinalphil will put them on the Tram Conductors facebook page.
Go the Roys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back