Society/Culture Greens vow to move Australia Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Community attitudes are still deplorable but we've progressed somewhat in recent decades. While "sexy & cool" might be less coarse then other characterisations, it's still spiteful & petty.
I do remember that.
I agree with you, what an awful song.

The swipe at rich folks wanting to live they way they want without intrusion, the stereotyping of government institutions as stupid and gullible, and the personal attacks on Alan Bond are simply deplorable.
I'm outraged. Simply outraged.

That actually should have read as "was" rather than "is".

What I'm saying is that it's not surprising more people would identify as indigenous as community attitudes towards them improves.

So you think more people identify as indigenous as community attitudes towards them improves? So, why have the protests increased?

My great nan is aboriginal. I guess that would make me aboriginal too but I've always thought myself a whitefella.

One bloodline that started to become diluted 80 years ago doesn't make me who I am.

Sent from mTalk

My great nan is aboriginal. I guess that would make me aboriginal too but I've always thought myself a whitefella.

One bloodline that started to become diluted 80 years ago doesn't make me who I am.

Sent from mTalk
I agree with the sentiment, as I'm someone from a particular cultural background that I just don't really associate with, and even changed my name because of it.

Having said that, and I might be way off base here, I think Aboriginal identity is maintained through bloodline even when several generations on as a cultural norm, similar to how Jewishness is also maintained despite not being a practising Jew or having never stepped foot in Israel. It doesn't necessarily make it any less correct, as it's different to separating people by inherited physical characteristics like you would describe a black, white, Asian, middle Eastern person etc.

I agree with the sentiment, as I'm someone from a particular cultural background that I just don't really associate with, and even changed my name because of it.

Having said that, and I might be way off base here, I think Aboriginal identity is maintained through bloodline even when several generations on as a cultural norm, similar to how Jewishness is also maintained despite not being a practising Jew or having never stepped foot in Israel. It doesn't necessarily make it any less correct, as it's different to separating people by inherited physical characteristics like you would describe a black, white, Asian, middle Eastern person etc.

Yes, it definitely is. You are either aboriginal or you aren't, there's no 'half cast' or anything of the like anymore. I know people who's aboriginal connection is weaker than my own that do identify as aboriginal and have gone through the processes to be legally recognised so.

Bit of wank if you ask me.

There's people genuinely disadvantaged by their aboriginality and background, and also people genuinely in touch with their culture, and many people are able to take advantage of things designed to help those people.

Part of me would really want to opportunities that come with being a legal aboriginal (and yes, there are), but it wouldn't be right. I'm not disadvantaged by it, and it has no bearing on me. I can't pretend to be an aboriginal, it would be a faux exercise. It would be no different to me carrying a card that says I'm an Avenger. I'm not really a super hero.

Last edited:
Greens pick and choose indigenous issues depending on the amount of votes in it

Indegenous believe marriage is between a man and woman. But the greens prefer you didn't know that

Errrrr, you do realise that's like saying all white people believe marriage isn't just between a man and a woman because of the yes vote? But you wouldn't say that, because it's a stupid generalisation.

I think the idea behind parent's car parks is that they are near the entrances to shopping centres and therefore reduce the amount of time toddlers and young kids are walking in car parks for safety. They are sometimes under cover too, which helps reduce the temperature of the car if it's been parked a while on a hot day. Not exactly a huge imposition on everyone else, but you do you man.

Yeah I just don’t get the whole glee at “winning” by being petty. By sneaking into some tiny perceived advantage.

It just seems to take up too much of some people’s energy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Greens pick and choose indigenous issues depending on the amount of votes in it

Indegenous believe marriage is between a man and woman. But the greens prefer you didn't know that

Really? They’ve been caught burying data on this?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the idea behind parent's car parks is that they are near the entrances to shopping centres and therefore reduce the amount of time toddlers and young kids are walking in car parks for safety. They are sometimes under cover too, which helps reduce the temperature of the car if it's been parked a while on a hot day. Not exactly a huge imposition on everyone else, but you do you man.
You also need more space to be able to strap kids in, instead of a tiny gap where your door might hit the next car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizarre post considering Greens representatives seem to be the only ones that give a stuff about housing affordability. I seem to remember Scott Ludlam delivering a speech in the Senate about it and maybe a handful of ALP and LNP representatives showed up.

You do realise the Greens platform policy is much larger than merely changing the date of Australia Day? It's the media that only reports these issues, because the other issues that the Greens are looking to tackle won't sell papers. I recommend you actually read their platform policy instead of playing into this narrative that the Greens' policy platform is entirely what is reported in the media.

A lot of factual inaccuracies in your post.

I’ve read the so called greens housing affordability policy.

It’s garbage and is not practical.

In simple terms it shifts the whole burden onto investors. Whole. It assumes that all investors have Harry Trigiboff or Tim Gurner portfolios and that the investor can easily absorb the costs of housing all Australians.

The only greens policy that had, has and will have any merit is the original one: save the environment. The rest is sensationalist crap to attract minorities who are missing either: family, house, money or a job. “Yeah, that’s right, why should I have to pay so much money for a house etc “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only greens policy that had, has and will have any merit is the original one: save the environment. The rest is sensationalist crap to attract minorities who are missing either: family, house, money or a job. “Yeah, that’s right, why should I have to pay so much money for a house etc “
I was actually going to respond to your whole post until I read this.

Try: "Yeah, that's right, why should a town like Tamworth be amongst the 40th most expensive property markets in the developed world? Why should Brisbane have 20000 homeless people and 21000 vacant properties?"

I was actually going to respond to your whole post until I read this.

Try: "Yeah, that's right, why should a town like Tamworth be amongst the 40th most expensive property markets in the developed world? Why should Brisbane have 20000 homeless people and 21000 vacant properties?"

'Progress' brah.o_O

It's just not financially viable to expect there to be less vacant properties than homeless people.

Not to mention the social/humanitarisn costs of having that many homeless out on the streets....And many of them likely dependent upon charities for food & clothing, just to survive.....All our Capitals will soon have tent-cities all along their side-walks, just like in the U.S, with the way things are going.

Vote 1; Predatory Banker Capitalism.

A lot of factual inaccuracies in your post.

I’ve read the so called greens housing affordability policy.

It’s garbage and is not practical.

In simple terms it shifts the whole burden onto investors. Whole. It assumes that all investors have Harry Trigiboff or Tim Gurner portfolios and that the investor can easily absorb the costs of housing all Australians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In your opinion.

They have some decent policies, but they also have some stupid ones. However they are not all sensationalist crap, otherwise you might as well call all ALP and LNP ones sensationalist.

Something that matters as little as this can just be used as political fodder to swing voters down the track, no one is changing it anytime soon because its such a non-issue.

As someone said... It actually raises awareness of the indigenous peoples plight and thats surely a good thing... No straight thinking 21st century individual is condoning what happened to the indigenous people by celebrating Australia day on that date.

Im all for chabging the day. Im all.for changing the flag.

The indigenous people especially onus williams have been embarassed by their associations with anarchist, try-hard offensive youth groups.

The rhetoric is pretty offensive to white australians and doesnt help the indeigenous cause. These

A queation that has to be asked to these people who most no doubt demand australia open its doors to unlimited refugees, how is that fundamentally different to the white settlement 200 years ago, most came for a better life?

The reality is that these people are pretentious little brats and push society further to the right, the only answer you likely get are check your privilege slogans or more likely your ******* racist.

The only consistency to such peoples views are anti-patriatchal, anti-western positions on society at irrational levels.

Last edited:
They are the biggest road blocks at getting any housing development done.
Except they are the only ones protesting the creation of more pointless lane extensions to main roads in Brisbane which is seeing houses knocked down.

Anyway (their stance probably doesn't even support this, but), we don't need more bloody properties in Brisbane. We have 20000 homeless people and 21000 vacant properties like I mentioned. Housing development won't fix the mess we're in.

Good to see the organisers of the Change the Date rally in Melbourne have clarified their position..

"WAR will not rest until we burn this entire rotten settler colony called Australia, illegally and violently imposed on stolen Aboriginal land at the expense of the blood of countless thousands, to the f---ing ground, until every corrupt and illegal institution of white supremacist, patriarchal, capitalist settler colonial power forced upon us is no more," the post said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...ehind-invasion-day-rally-20180130-p4yz1z.html

Surely you must feel like a chump if you went along and cheered to what this lot were spouting at their rally on Australia Day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back