Club Focus GWS Giants 2021 - Brander, Callaghan, Aleer, Fahey

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were GWS I’d look to cash in. He turns 28 in a couple of weeks. He’s peaked, and he’s clearly not going to learn. The pressure of finals gets to him and he can’t handle it and lashes out.

There’d be clubs out there who’d pay a decent price for him.
How do you know he’s peaked? Probably had his most damaging year this year, can’t see why he can’t do the same next year, or even better it.

If I were GWS I’d look to cash in. He turns 28 in a couple of weeks. He’s peaked, and he’s clearly not going to learn. The pressure of finals gets to him and he can’t handle it and lashes out.

You really really want him at the Bombers eh?
Look I understand and it is an interesting way you have written up a thread about our star player and we should want him gone, wow, but no. Ain’t happening.

Posted this exact same idea in the Hypotheticals thread during the week.

He’s been suspended for this finals series.

He was suspended for the 2019 prelim.

He copped a fine for kneeing Heeney in another finals series (16 or 17 can’t remember now) but that would probably be a week too if it was to happen now.

There is no point playing all year as a team too then regularly have one of your key players doing stuff like this at the pointy end when he’s needed because he can’t control his emotions.

I know they won’t but I think if they could pass him off to another team that would be willing to pay two first rounders they should make the call.

A team with a strong culture and a kick up the butt to sort himself out could be a win win for both sides.

A team like the Dogs I think would be willing to pass on 2 x firsts seeing as they got a freebie number 1 pick last year and Darcy this year.

Last edited:
He's their heart & soul, and by far their best player.

Sure he's missed 2 finals through suspension, but he's kicked 20 goals in 11 finals, and been in the top handful of GWS players on 6 or 7 occasions. He would have helped in the semi final, but without him they don't make finals, let alone win the Elim final. He's quite comfortably the best medium forward in the game.

Stringer will be 28 early next season, he's just had a massive spike year, should Essendon cash in? After all, he doesn't really perform in finals, he's peaked.

He's not our best player, nor our heart and soul. Kelly is our best player and Kennedy is our heart and soul.

To be honest, I blame the club more than I blame Toby. We've let Mumford get away with with his idiotic behaviour and dumb acts for years without consequences, so it's no surprise that Toby makes dumb mistakes with role models like Mumford around. We've only got ourselves to blame.

He's their heart & soul, and by far their best player.

Sure he's missed 2 finals through suspension, but he's kicked 20 goals in 11 finals, and been in the top handful of GWS players on 6 or 7 occasions. He would have helped in the semi final, but without him they don't make finals, let alone win the Elim final. He's quite comfortably the best medium forward in the game.

Stringer will be 28 early next season, he's just had a massive spike year, should Essendon cash in? After all, he doesn't really perform in finals, he's peaked.

Good example, it’s actually pretty much exactly what the Dogs did with Stringer.

Worked out well for club and player, I doubt either regret the move.

He's not our best player, nor our heart and soul. Kelly is our best player and Kennedy is our heart and soul.

To be honest, I blame the club more than I blame Toby. We've let Mumford get away with with his idiotic behaviour and dumb acts for years without consequences, so it's no surprise that Toby makes dumb mistakes with role models like Mumford around. We've only got ourselves to blame.
Mumford? Farking lol

I find the responses here pretty interesting. Honestly, you'd think I'd suggested trading prime Gary Ablett.

I'm aware of what he can do, but I think a few people need to take a breath. His reputation, image and the good old "X-Factor" precede him.

He has two Top-5 B&F finishes in his ten seasons (quite possible a third this year). He's never finished Top 20 in the AFLCA voting, which is the most reliable game-by-game league award. They don't rate him as one of the game's elite players.

He's a very good player, yes, but some people are carrying on like he's an out-and-out champion.

He has major issues which let him down in big games and have caused him to miss knockout finals on multiple occasions. There are some who think he's gonna "learn", but I doubt it at this stage. I don't see some fairytale ending for Greene.

If I'm the Giants, it's absolutely something you'd have to look at. They'd be derelict not to.

Anyway, for other clubs...

Would you want your club to pursue him if he was available?

What would you see as a fair trade?

You are not wrong he has peaked… As one of the top few players in the game. The Giants are only going as far as he will take them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good example, it’s actually pretty much exactly what the Dogs did with Stringer.

Worked out well for club and player, I doubt either regret the move.

So surely the Bombers take this jump in trade value and run with Stringer?

He's going to be falling by the time McGrath, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Durham, this year's first etc all peak, so surely taking this peak Stringer form and trading him makes sense?

That’s a ridiculous statement.
It isn't at all...

2.5 goals per game, 17 touches, and a league leading 8 score involvements per game.

As you said he has reached his peak and it is as good as most in the game today.

You really really want him at the Bombers eh?
Look I understand and it is an interesting way you have written up a thread about our star player and we should want him gone, wow, but no. Ain’t happening.

No, I wouldn’t want him. We’re some way off challenging and I would prefer we kept the draft picks it’d cost to get him.

He is far better than Kelly, Kelly is a good mid who gets rated far higher because he looks smooth.

As for the heart & soul

Here's your list manager describing him as such.

Here's your coach describing how his competiveness (amongst others) is infectious.

Plus despite these discipline issues he got voted vice captain, so clearly he's a huge part of the club culture. Far more than Adam Kennedy is, not even in the leadership group. Kennedy does not drive the group with his passion and competiveness in the way Greene does.

So surely the Bombers take this jump in trade value and run with Stringer?

He's going to be falling by the time McGrath, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Durham, this year's first etc all peak, so surely taking this peak Stringer form and trading him makes sense?

No, Stringer doesn’t have issues which see him constantly being suspended for finals.

If he did, sure.

No, Stringer doesn’t have issues which see him constantly being suspended for finals.

If he did, sure.

He may as well be because he doesn't perform to his best in them.

You are genuinely claiming that missing 2 finals in a career through suspension is a bigger issue than just not turning up in them? Stringer had a big quarter in the 2016 semi v Hawthorn and other than that, the Dogs and Bombers achieve the same outcomes in their finals with him.

Bombers landed a bargain in Stringer. He has shown he can't lead them (or the Dogs) in finals. Now is the time to take his peak value and run, cash in so to speak. Honestly tell me why not?

Get a first for him from a side challenging in 2022 (Brisbane, Melbourne, Port etc), add it to the growing stockpile of Dodo picks that are between 18 and 24.

Alternatively, GWS might consider a swap for Ben King.
I would.
The problem might be getting GC to agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back