Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that initially, especially since light blue was there for the taking. Now however, I see a lot more engagement with the orange because it's just so distinct. The only other orange team, the Tigers', their gear tends to err on the black side. Giants bumper stickers, hats, beanies, etc, all stand out a lot more and I do notice them semi-regularly around town as a result.
I love the colours.

Following Collingwood’s departure from the Super Netball series from the end of this year, we remain the only AFL club with a team in this elite netball competition. Whilst a joint venture between our club and Netball NSW, I am ambivalent about how beneficial GIANTS Netball is to the club’s core AFL/AFLW aims. It will benefit by drawing more females into the club’s GIANTS brand, and most games are played in Olympic Park, but even a big club like Collingwood found their Super Netball team a loss making venture that detracted from their core AFL function. I assume our club has crunched the numbers and the cost-benefit is still firmly in favour of having a GIANTS Netball team.

Following Collingwood’s departure from the Super Netball series from the end of this year, we remain the only AFL club with a team in this elite netball competition. Whilst a joint venture between our club and Netball NSW, I am ambivalent about how beneficial GIANTS Netball is to the club’s core AFL/AFLW aims. It will benefit by drawing more females into the club’s GIANTS brand, and most games are played in Olympic Park, but even a big club like Collingwood found their Super Netball team a loss making venture that detracted from their core AFL function. I assume our club has crunched the numbers and the cost-benefit is still firmly in favour of having a GIANTS Netball team.
I'm not sure the club sees netball.ad seperate to core, unlike Collingwood.

The aim of the Giants is to entrench themselves into Western Sydney. Having a netball team does help them do that - I've heard about the Giants from netball watching women for example, where they wouldn't have even known the name of the local AFL team otherwise. It's basically effective advertising.

That's not a benefit to Collingwood, being in a saturated market where everyone knows who they are.

The aim of the Giants is to entrench themselves into Western Sydney. Having a netball team does help them do that - I've heard about the Giants from netball watching women for example, where they wouldn't have even known the name of the local AFL team otherwise. It's basically effective advertising.

That's not a benefit to Collingwood, being in a saturated market where everyone knows who they are.
Very good point about this raising awareness

Eddie’s views on Sydney Swans and us. He has a point though - with all NRL clubs in Queensland this week, the AFL could have scheduled better.

Pleasing to see that this has been rectified in next year's fixture which includes a Swans Friday night game at the SCG against Carlton and Saturday game at Giants stadium where we host the Bulldogs.

This extract on the condition of Giants Stadium was from the AFL’s own website summary of our game against the Saints today. Our club may need to consider other options for home games during this period.

Sydney Show serves up a slippery dip
Sunday's clash was the first at Giants Stadium since round three due to concerns with the surface after the Sydney Easter Show in early April, and it looked like the ground could have done with a little more time to recover. Players from both sides had trouble keeping their feet and the surface was pockmarked with divots that increased in number as the match went on. Unfortunately the Easter Show can't change its date, which may lead to the Giants avoiding their home ground for a larger chunk of next season. It should be stressed the surface played no part in the three concussions sustained on Sunday.

This looks to have been considered and the time between home games at Giants stadium has increased to 8 weeks for next season.

Last game on the 18th March and first game back is 16th May. We're then away for four weeks returning 16th June. Going to try get in as much travel as I can to attend our away games during this time.

Last edited:
How do you guys think Clayton Oliver would look in our midfield after the mid season trade period? Trade the Dees a 2nd round pick and a packet of chicken twisties?

How do you guys think Clayton Oliver would look in our midfield after the mid season trade period? Trade the Dees a 2nd round pick and a packet of chicken twisties?
Yeah for sure, we're in the window to win a flag a 2nd rounder and whatever else is well worth the risk to win the flag. He's square in his prime with heaps of quality years left as long as whatever is going on off the field can be cleared then you do that trade and more. Time to start consolidating picks into players when we're in this position to win the flag. Freak player, one of the best players in the competition at a position of need.

Yeah for sure, we're in the window to win a flag a 2nd rounder and whatever else is well worth the risk to win the flag. He's square in his prime with heaps of quality years left as long as whatever is going on off the field can be cleared then you do that trade and more. Time to start consolidating picks into players when we're in this position to win the flag. Freak player, one of the best players in the competition at a position of need.
We've done well with ex=Dees players ... he can join Toby and jesse

Don't love his chances in Sydney with the amount of gear rolling around there.
I don't think he will be at Melbourne much longer....pretty tough to think of a spot that would be a good landing zone. We have a good record with that....mostly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't love his chances in Sydney with the amount of gear rolling around there.
I don't think he will be at Melbourne much longer....pretty tough to think of a spot that would be a good landing zone. We have a good record with that....mostly
Think the amount of gear could be found anywhere.

The advantages for the young man, who does have a history of maturing later than some peers, would be in being away from the Melbourne fishbowl and the constant celebrity status he gets even going into his local for a pint or supermarket for milk. If he was to move away from this and presumably any current associates who are keen to play to his ego and wealth; he may prosper if he also decided to do the hard yards on the track. I could see three clubs with strong coaching and player cultures where this all could work; us, the Swans and Lions.

Think the amount of gear could be found anywhere.

The advantages for the young man, who does have a history of maturing later than some peers, would be in being away from the Melbourne fishbowl and the constant celebrity status he gets even going into his local for a pint or supermarket for milk. If he was to move away from this and presumably any current associates who are keen to play to his ego and wealth; he may prosper if he also decided to do the hard yards on the track. I could see three clubs with strong coaching and player cultures where this all could work; us, the Swans and Lions.
Would we really want his 7 year million dollar contract though?
I very much doubt we sign him if there is a mid season draft. Maybe at end of 2024, but he won't agree to a smaller contract than the dees gave him.

Would we really want his 7 year million dollar contract though?
I very much doubt we sign him if there is a mid season draft. Maybe at end of 2024, but he won't agree to a smaller contract than the dees gave him.
If he's right to go and this stuff can be cleared up the contract isn't an issue, he's one of the best players in the competition that's the price you pay for guys like that. Think at least for the next few years we have a bit more of a short term view and capitalize on the remaining years of Kelly, Whitfield, Greene and Cogs core before they're gone, Oliver would be able to slide in straight away and be fantastic but also young enough to lead the midfield with Green long term.

Last edited:
If he's right to go and this stuff can be cleared up the contract isn't an issue, he's one of the best players in the competition that's the price you pay for guys like that. Think at least for the next few years we have a bit more of a short term view and capitalize on the remaining years of Kelly, Whitfield, Greene and Cogs core before they're gone, Oliver would be able to slide in straight away and be fantastic but also young enough to lead the midfield with Green long term.
Our cap is way too tight to bring in Oliver.

He would have to adjust it, move more of it to 2028 to 2030.
Can a player have his contract cancelled due to drug use, like Mark Bosnich was by Chelsea?
Only if they fail a drug test

Yeah well sure if they can't fit him in then of course you don't have a choice to bring him in but if it's possible you do it. I'm sure there would be a way to move different players' money around to open up the cap space for it to work.

Yeah well sure if they can't fit him in then of course you don't have a choice to bring him in but if it's possible you do it. I'm sure there would be a way to move different players' money around to open up the cap space for it to work.
I think we are well placed for that type of midfielder… Tom Green with Callaghan on the way.
If there’s one thing our club should have learnt by now, list balance is very important. Gone are the days where you have too many of the same type of player earning big coin.
Throw in he has massive issues to deal with, and he is on very big coin…. We don’t need any of that imo

I think we are well placed for that type of midfielder… Tom Green with Callaghan on the way.
If there’s one thing our club should have learnt by now, list balance is very important. Gone are the days where you have too many of the same type of player earning big coin.
Throw in he has massive issues to deal with, and he is on very big coin…. We don’t need any of that imo
I'd definitely prefer a Butters-type mid with pace, but wouldn't turn my nose up at Clarry

Just can't pass up a player of that calibre imo, how many times will this team get a chance to add one of the best players in the comp? Don't think there's any fit issues at all with Green and especially not Callaghan, when the chance pops up to get one of the best players in the comp you just do it imo and he'd probably come at a bit of a discount price to get him through the door. We can win the flag this season and Oliver only boosts those chances but filling in at a position we need.

Just remember Haynes is on huge money this year. Then next year I dare say we can pay him peanuts or he gets traded because he has been surpassed by Himmelberg and hopefully Alleer by then!

Clayton Oliver is a FREAK. Tom Green, Finn Callaghan, Clayton Oliver, Kieren Briggs as a midfield group. Kelly on a wing to slim him down a bit as he gets older.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back