Hammo the Reporter II - Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been some time since this thread had any activity but Hammo the Hack is back in full-flight trying to do everything possible to get rid of Leppa and undermine our Captain and team. He is a sleazbag, has always been a sleaze and in my opinion warrants some discussion. I for one regard him as a divisive, mal-informed journalist with an ego that is damaging to not only our Club but AFL in Qld.

Can anyone actually find anything in our records where he has been positive about our Club - despite some well-know man-love for Blacky?

Would love to slam Hammo for some classic muck-raking but I can't really pan a guy for reporting stuff that I am hearing too.

Club is leaking like a sieve.

Would love to slam Hammo for some classic muck-raking but I can't really pan a guy for reporting stuff that I am hearing too.

That's all well and good about the players, I tend to believe that too. But he is clearly pushing an agenda to get Leppa dumped

Who on earth is leaking info?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I don't see anything wrong what he says, any journalist would do the same. What positives can be said for our club at the moment? Very little.
I didn't mind him having a dig at Leigh Matthews either. Either put your heart and soul into our club, which is what all the supporters want.. or maybe he should stick with the media gig.

That's all well and good about the players, I tend to believe that too. But he is clearly pushing an agenda to get Leppa dumped

I'm no fan of Hammo's, but it's hard to argue against his article today about our defensive issues this year.

- We've given up 30 scoring shots or more in 11 games
- We've conceded 120 points or more 11 times
- We've conceded less than 100 only once (94)

We are a shocking defensive outfit atm. Outside of trying to lock the ball inside our fwd 50 when it's down there, I honestly can't say what we're trying to do defensively.

It has been some time since this thread had any activity but Hammo the Hack is back in full-flight trying to do everything possible to get rid of Leppa and undermine our Captain and team. He is a sleazbag, has always been a sleaze and in my opinion warrants some discussion. I for one regard him as a divisive, mal-informed journalist with an ego that is damaging to not only our Club but AFL in Qld.

Can anyone actually find anything in our records where he has been positive about our Club - despite some well-know man-love for Blacky?

He's been pretty positive about Leppitsch in the past.

Not sure what the problem is with Hammo's latest article?

We have conceded 2046 points this year at an average of nearly 128 a game. The next 'best' is 1752 points.

We conceded 77 inside 50s yesterday and let them take 21 marks inside 50 which would've been made even worse had the rain not come in the second half.

What would you like him to say? The defence is going great guns?

He's been pretty positive about Leppitsch in the past.

Both Hammo and Greg Davis have been very anti-Leppa this week; pretty much since Leppa spoke out and called their articles and opionions bullshit.

It's pretty easy to spot that their most recent attempts at journalism have more than a hint of being personal.

"The Lions are not the next GWS."

Seems some have forgotten that the Giants were pretty terrible defensively as well.

2012 — 2 wins, 2751 against (125/game), 46%
2013 — 1 win, 2990 against (136/game), 51%
2014 — 6 wins, 2320 against (105/game), 77%

It was only in their fourth season that they broke even.

2015 — 11 wins, 1891 against (86/game), 99%

Hard to pinpoint exactly where we are in the process, as Leppa didn't have the benefit of starting completely from scratch with a million first rounders. But we did have seven players in their first season out there yesterday. Plus one in his second and three in their third. That's half the team with an average of less than 17 games experience. I'd say we're realistically at about year two of the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If what you hear is true TBD what odds would you give for leppa staying til end of year?

Even if his papers are already marked, I dont think they'd remove him until the end of the season.

Leppa has eshewed a senior advisor, but not had the skills to build an environment where people can speak up without getting their heads bitten off. The issues with the player group over a period of time have given the player group too much sway. A stronger leader would have pulled some of the senior players into line. The problems are cultural through the playing and coaching group and to be honest through a portion of the management. Dont expect improvement without extensive change in personnel.

Hammo responds to Rocky

It's really, really hard to like the guy

That's a very interesting interview. To me, Hammo didn't come across as arrogant at all. It seemed like he was a bit uncertain and trying to choose his words very carefully.

His self-defence of 'opinion writing is my job' is extremely stupid, of course. As is the unacknowledged weirdness of apparently having a decent relationship with Rockliff, but not bothering to fact-check anything in the article with him.

One point he made is worth repeating: what specifically was Leppitsch referring to when he said that there had been lies in the media about Taylor?

Who are these people who continue to leak info ?? This is a disgrace. Is it deliberately being leaked for reasons?

My largely baseless theory is that the club leaked some info around contract negotiations in order to get ahead of any PR fallout from not signing certain players, and the blowback is that player managers are retaliating by leaking negative info about the club.

My largely baseless theory is that the club leaked some info around contract negotiations in order to get ahead of any PR fallout from not signing certain players, and the blowback is that player managers are retaliating by leaking negative info about the club.

That's the only conclusion i can reach as well. Putting pressure on the players by playing it out in the media.

That's a very interesting interview. To me, Hammo didn't come across as arrogant at all. It seemed like he was a bit uncertain and trying to choose his words very carefully.

His self-defence of 'opinion writing is my job' is extremely stupid, of course. As is the unacknowledged weirdness of apparently having a decent relationship with Rockliff, but not bothering to fact-check anything in the article with him.

One point he made is worth repeating: what specifically was Leppitsch referring to when he said that there had been lies in the media about Taylor?
If he spent as long choosing his vocal words as carefully as his written words we might have more respect for him. I've heard him speak a few times now and it's a constant theme, he struggles to string a fluent sentence together. Luckily he works in print.

FWIW, optimistically I think the leaks are intentional from the club in a bid to soften the backlash when Rocky is moved on at the end of the season.

Hammo responds to Rocky

It's really, really hard to like the guy

Thought he was pretty reasonable and showed good discretion to be honest.

The stories behind the allegations of Rockliff clashing with senior footy dept officials and about his social life are buzzing all around and Hammo has clearly heard them. He could have aired them out but he held back. Perhaps a little bit out of self protection but he handled it well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back