Hammo the Reporter II - Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, optimistically I think the leaks are intentional from the club in a bid to soften the backlash when Rocky is moved on at the end of the season.

I don't think this is the case. I think they are trying to manage things very carefully in house but when a team is doing as poorly as we are, people leak.

He writes better than he speaks - sounded like a kid at school giving a presentation in front of class and had done zero preparation. He got flustered and said well i am the chief football writer up here. Big noting himself there. I think his recent articles have been fair and least he is prepared to bring the issues as he hears and sees them to the table. The other guy Greg Davis is useless.

Thought he was pretty reasonable and showed good discretion to be honest.

The stories behind the allegations of Rockliff clashing with senior footy dept officials and about his social life are buzzing all around and Hammo has clearly heard them. He could have aired them out but he held back. Perhaps a little bit out of self protection but he handled it well.
I'm not questioning the content, more so his delivery. For a media professional he's woeful - he really struggled to carry himself. Pretty much this V
He writes better than he speaks - sounded like a kid at school giving a presentation in front of class and had done zero preparation. He got flustered and said well i am the chief football writer up here. Big noting himself there. I think his recent articles have been fair and least he is prepared to bring the issues as he hears and sees them to the table. The other guy Greg Davis is useless.

I didn't realise that excused him from speaking coherently.

It kinda does.

I think he was coherent enough, albeit not eloquent.

Not sure if your real issue is with the message or the messenger. I am frustrated by the leaking too, but that isn't the recipient's fault.

Whether Hamilton should be judged as a writer or as a media professional doesn't bother me a lot, but it is striking how differently he comes across in print than in audio. He seems so cocksure in print.

One guy I'd always compared him with was the awful soccer 'journalist' Jesse Fink, who came across exactly as nasty and arrogant in person as he did in his articles.

Then there's Patrick Smith, who I'd always quite liked until he started to do a bit more radio, where he came across as very aggressive and didactic.

I'm no fan of Hammo, but I thought he conducted himself well enough in that interview. It felt like he reasonably balanced, and with the exception of 'I'm the head footy writer' I didn't think he was big-noting himself to any great extent.

It kinda does.

I think he was coherent enough, albeit not eloquent.

Not sure if your real issue is with the message or the messenger. I am frustrated by the leaking too, but that isn't the recipient's fault.
I tend to think most of his information is good, albeit the parts he admits he stretched. While his record a few years ago was questionable he has proven in the last 18 months to have pretty solid connections within the club. So I'm happy enough with the message, I just thought he could've handled himself better.

Countdown until Hammo the Hack finds a negative spin on Leppa, Rocky and our Club - bring it on you tool...
Has there really been anything to put a positive spin on about?

I'm no Hamilton apologists, but a lot of what he has written in recent months isn't far off the mark, unless of course you're satisfied with Leppa, Rockliff and the club in 2016.

"If journalists want to make personal pot shots at people, they’ve got to be careful because one day it’s going to come back and bite you on the arse." (Jacko to Sheahan)...message here for you Hammo if you are reading this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This flog really gives me the shits. While other journos who are covering the game can comment on Archie Smith and Eric Hipwood the only comments we get from Hammo are the negative ones. If he went both ways some of the more negative stuff would be much easier to take from him TBH. That is not to say the negative stuff he says sin't on the money at times either.

I don't think this is the case. I think they are trying to manage things very carefully in house but when a team is doing as poorly as we are, people leak.

Yeah..interesting to know where in house the leaks are coming from?

Simon Close (brother of Michael) plays for my local club (that I live next to) in the Geelong region and has been quoted saying that the culture is absolutely terrible at Brisbane and Green and Leppitsch don't get along.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me when you consider it is coming from the club's "most professional" player who still can't get a game over two blokes in their first seasons. I can easily see one feeling somewhat disconnected with the club.

Also gives you an idea of how easily things can leak - likely scenario is frustrated brother says a comment to immediate relative after disappointing selection outcome, brother gets asked by average Joe and the average Joe comes here...

Simon Close (brother of Michael) plays for my local club (that I live next to) in the Geelong region and has been quoted saying that the culture is absolutely terrible at Brisbane and Green and Leppitsch don't get along.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me when you consider it is coming from the club's "most professional" player who still can't get a game over two blokes in their first seasons. I can easily see one feeling somewhat disconnected with the club.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...1/news-story/78ee2319990ce047d669bd8e36a33a24

Also gives you an idea of how easily things can leak - likely scenario is frustrated brother says a comment to immediate relative after disappointing selection outcome, brother gets asked by average Joe and the average Joe comes here...

Agree. And to extend that some journalists looking for a story read it on here and write a story as a result.

How many players on a list?....and all with families who might mention tidbits to friends etc etc.

...would even happen at management/board level. Ex players blabbing at new clubs too.

This flog really gives me the shits. While other journos who are covering the game can comment on Archie Smith and Eric Hipwood the only comments we get from Hammo are the negative ones. If he went both ways some of the more negative stuff would be much easier to take from him TBH. That is not to say the negative stuff he says sin't on the money at times either.

He is ALWAYS giving props to our young guys?

He is ALWAYS giving props to our young guys?
Not what I'm getting at really. Not a peep from him in the first quarter when other journalists were commenting on Archie Smith or Hipwood. He's not balanced.

Starting to think you might be Hammo tbh.

We have consensus!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back