Happy Australia day everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

There go

There going off in my street, even the court across the road have blocked it and are having an open barbecue for all
Have they invited any Aboriginal people?

Here’s an idea, don’t have an Australia Day at all.

I think as a nation we should celebrate who and what we are, and how we got here. I just don’t think 26 January is the date that does that. Find an alternative.

Change the date.

How about we keep the date, as it's an incredibly significant date for this land and its people and acknowledge that the event of this date has had positive and negative impacts - rather than debating it like a bunch of divided yanks. Let's show that we're Australian and not Americans by acknowledging different experiences and perspectives rather than having it one or the other.

How about we keep the date, as it's an incredibly significant date for this land and its people and acknowledge that the event of this date has had positive and negative impacts - rather than debating it like a bunch of divided yanks. Let's show that we're Australian and not Americans by acknowledging different experiences and perspectives rather than having it one or the other.
Significant for the land and people? Certainly not in any positive sense.
As a nation we did not exist yet.

Fact of the matter is the reason we have Australia Day on the 26th of January is because it marks the day the destinies of both European and Indigenous peoples came together, for better or for worse. If you think the day celebrates genocide then that says a lot about yourself and the way you perceive events of the past because no one else celebrates it for that.

I acknowledge atrocities that were committed in the past, and how they still can affect those living today. But I also acknowledge the people who, as a direct result of the arrival of the First Fleet, were able to turn this land into a rich, free and plentiful country.

My life, my family, my friends, my footy club, I can all trace back to that fateful day of the 26th of January which is why it is a day to celebrate.

At the end of the day, you don't have to celebrate Australia Day. Even if that date was changed, I bet people would still have problems with the very idea of celebrating our country for what it is.

Hope everyone's having a good day regardless :)

Fact of the matter is the reason we have Australia Day on the 26th of January is because it marks the day the destinies of both European and Indigenous peoples came together, for better or for worse. If you think the day celebrates genocide then that says a lot about yourself and the way you perceive events of the past because no one else celebrates it for that.

I acknowledge atrocities that were committed in the past, and how they still can affect those living today. But I also acknowledge the people who, as a direct result of the arrival of the First Fleet, were able to turn this land into a rich, free and plentiful country.

My life, my family, my friends, my footy club, I can all trace back to that fateful day of the 26th of January which is why it is a day to celebrate.

At the end of the day, you don't have to celebrate Australia Day. Even if that date was changed, I bet people would still have problems with the very idea of celebrating our country for what it is.

Hope everyone's having a good day regardless :)
Do you care about the Aboriginal perspective of what this day means?

Significant for the land and people? Certainly not in any positive sense.
As a nation we did not exist yet.
You don't think the first fleet arriving on Australian shores was significant for the land and people who inhabited it at the time and those who have come since? And it doesn't have to positive to be a holiday. April the 25th isn't a holiday due to it being the anniversary of a positive day.

You don't think the first fleet arriving on Australian shores was significant for the land and people who inhabited it at the time and those who have come since?
It was a total disaster for the land, and people who were here for 50,000 years. So yes, very significant.

Worth celebrating?

Don't think any live around here, but they would be most welcome
As long as they are celebrating.

Have you ever been to a protest rally on this day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia is my country even if my parents were born overseas, the fact that a bloke landed a boat here on 26th Jan is what potentially gave us this thread 200 odd years layer, is something to be thankful for .

Those that are so he’ll bent on making political statements on a footy forum shows how insecure and out of touch they are with the world today. These are the same rednecks that rally amongst the hippies, druggies and rent a crowds. The same ppl that destroy people’s livelihoods, ppl who vandalized political buildings.

So I say, let it go for what it is and enjoy the day off.

Floreat Pica.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

one argument (of a number) in support of a change is that Jan 26th is the date the penal colony of NSW was founded - not Australia as a whole.
May 9th is more appropriate for Australia - the date our first national parliament was opened.
You end up with the same issue, it excludes the First Nation people and celebrates the institution that destroyed them.

I reckon we change it to 14 Feb, that way it has no connection to anything colonial and we also destroy Valentine’s Day.

The establishment of a British colony is a significant day for our land for better and for worse. No date is perfect to acknowledge British arrival or the establishment of a colony as the treatment of indigenous people by those early settlers (and others) isn’t limited to 26 January and the same stigma will exist. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to recognise the early settlers or the British though as they clearly shaped what would become Australia and our present day culture.

Changing the date isn’t going to change the history, so why hide or shy away from it? Recognise the day for what it is and adjust the events of the day to match. Like how ANZAC day has evolved. Make the morning one of reflection and the afternoon a celebration of our far we’ve come and what now makes Australia great. Whether people like it or not the British settlers played a significant role in were we are now.

Happy Australia Day!

Without the events of 1788, the Collingwood Football Club wouldn't exist.

Sick of the self-loathing that permeates a section of Australian society. I feel nothing but pride for this nation.
It’s got nothing to do with self loathing. Our history cannot be changed, but we can change the future.

Your views are your own but they will make way. The date will change in time because this nation is growing up and owning its past.

You don't think the first fleet arriving on Australian shores was significant for the land and people who inhabited it at the time and those who have come since? And it doesn't have to positive to be a holiday. April the 25th isn't a holiday due to it being the anniversary of a positive day.
The problem is everyone seems to sweep the positive aspects under the rug and just claim “we’re celebrating all the great stuff of Australia”

The establishment of a British colony is a significant day for our land for better and for worse. No date is perfect to acknowledge British arrival or the establishment of a colony as the treatment of indigenous people by those early settlers (and others) isn’t limited to 26 January and the same stigma will exist. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to recognise the early settlers or the British though as they clearly shaped what would become Australia and our present day culture.

Changing the date isn’t going to change the history, so why hide or shy away from it? Recognise the day for what it is and adjust the events of the day to match. Like how ANZAC day has evolved. Make the morning one of reflection and the afternoon a celebration of our far we’ve come and what now makes Australia great. Whether people like it or not the British settlers played a significant role in were we are now.

Happy Australia Day!
Would you go to an Invasion Day rally and wish the Aboriginal people there a happy Australia Day?

Anzac day used to be a day of reflection before it became a day to be "proud to be Australian"

Australia day didnt really exist when I was young, before it became a flag waving affair.

so I believe Australia day can change again...

It is changing, slowly.

The narrative of Invasion Day is slowly but surely changing the story of Australia Day.

Though I'm sure there'll always be plenty of people dancing in the streets to celebrate...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back