Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

If WCE were a stock then Harley Reid leaving would cause all shareholders (sponsors) to lose big money.

Harley Reid brings eyeballs which means sponsors get more eyeballs. Shareholders (Sponsors) would dip their hand in pocket to help keep him. A few million out of the pocket of sponsors is nothing compared to the eyeballs Harley will bring to sponsors.

To further explain this theory what's more legit
1. Sponsors pressure WCE to keep Harley (good luck try to force the richest club to do that)
2. Sponsor chipping in to help Harley stay
The way it works is a Dustin Martin type situation with Puma.
The player managers work with club sponsors on those endorsements, and the club just helps make those connections.

It's another way of leveraging the club outside of the cap to get a player's financial deal up without it costing money in the cap.

But he'd get those deals anywhere, so he's very likely not going to leave just for money. If he leaves it will be a lifestyle/location type decision, or a success/opportunity type decision, e.g. he might leave to a contender if he felt he wasn't going to win a flag at the Eagles or he might leave for a new challenge if he did achieve success at the Eagles.

a few vics have been captain IIRC, Judd, Shuey, Duggan, anyone else?
Even those that haven’t been captain but have still played 100+ for Perth clubs despite being from another state:
  • Luke Ryan
  • Andrew Brayshaw
  • Matthew Taberner
  • Alex Pearce
  • Brennan Cox
  • Sean Darcy
  • Andrew Gaff
  • Liam Duggan
  • Alex Witherden
  • Tom Cole

For context, here are 100+ gamers (for Victoria based clubs) from Victoria for Carlton:
  • Adam Saad
  • Sam Docherty
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Charlie Curnow
  • Harry McKay

It’s a ****ing myth lol - a lot of players go to Perth and stick it out long term

Reid will leave someday. just a matter of when. Why live on the other side of the country playing for a 2 team state when he can come to Victoria, be closer to home and play on the MCG every 2nd week.

I also like how this post was only liked by North supporting posters.

It's a bit of copium tbh.

WCE have to let Reid go. They are, after all, the club that cares most about mental health and family closeness. Remember what they were like with Kelly? Big, bad meanie Geelong playing hard ball with the guy WCE had skipped over consecutive drafts with multiple picks in the draft Geelong picked him, because he's too far from family and he's homesick.

Well, you're such good guys. Let Reid go back to Victoria.

WCE have to let Reid go. They are, after all, the club that cares most about mental health and family closeness. Remember what they were like with Kelly? Big, bad meanie Geelong playing hard ball with the guy WCE had skipped over consecutive drafts with multiple picks in the draft Geelong picked him, because he's too far from family and he's homesick.

Ok, Geelong offering pick 1 + future first from a team likely to be bottom 2/4 the following year + a late 1st round pick? That is the equivalent Geelong demanded for Kelly

I think he'll leave in his mid 20's, maybe sooner. I see myself in a lot of these WCE fans, saying how happy he looks etc. looking for every possible close friend that he'd have to leave behind etc. Only for him to ultimately leave. He'll get offered a lot by WCE to stay, and he'll get offered a lot to move, so money won't be a factor. If WCE stay bottom 4 for the next 2 years then I think if he extends it won't be a long extension and he'll be getting 10 year offers by several clubs to move on 1.5 mill per year.

Top 6 leading salt producers:
1. China
2. US
3. India
4. Germany
5. Canada
6. BiggyBoy

Im sure we would if he really wanted to go. As a club we're pretty on top of doing trades with other clubs to get players where they need to be.

However the boy seems REALLY happy in Perth right now, with rumours circulating of him wanting to get his girlfriend over here and spending all his free time with blokes from the playing group. Little Harls seems like he likes the "King of Perth" moniker.

I think he'll leave in his mid 20's, maybe sooner. I see myself in a lot of these WCE fans, saying how happy he looks etc. looking for every possible close friend that he'd have to leave behind etc. Only for him to ultimately leave. He'll get offered a lot by WCE to stay, and he'll get offered a lot to move, so money won't be a factor. If WCE stay bottom 4 for the next 2 years then I think if he extends it won't be a long extension and he'll be getting 10 year offers by several clubs to move on 1.5 mill per year.
He just muscle****ed your team into submission, I don’t think they’ll be bottom four for long

Somehow you think Reid is worth the same as Kelly?
When we're taking his mental health and family demands into consideration, you need to be respectful and WCE will just need to accept whatever his destination club wants. Even if there are multiple Victorian clubs and he just must select one - perhaps the one that has just recently won a premiership rather than perennial cellar dwellers. You know, for his family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we're taking his mental health and family demands into consideration, you need to be respectful and WCE will just need to accept whatever his destination club wants. Even if there are multiple Victorian clubs and he just must select one - perhaps the one that has just recently won a premiership rather than perennial cellar dwellers. You know, for his family.
For a club that played the mental health card to get Ablett back on the cheap and often has players nominate you and you only, there's a surprising lack of self-awareness in this post.

Interesting
There was an article saying he has been missing family.

There is always the chance that any player drafted to go interstate will at some point return home. However, I dare say that the number of players who in their first year think they’ll probably go home is a much greater than the number of players who actually do.

Reid will leave someday. just a matter of when. Why live on the other side of the country playing for a 2 team state when he can come to Victoria, be closer to home and play on the MCG every 2nd week.

He’s not guaranteed to leave. If the club does the right things by him there’s every chance he considers Perth home in the future.

Also, as others pointed out, the MCG is only packed for 3-4 clubs and even then it’s not like that every second week. Other stadiums are capable of providing amazing atmospheres as well. When the Eagles are up and about there wouldn’t be many better crowds then theirs.

Top 6 leading salt producers:
1. China
2. US
3. India
4. Germany
5. Canada
6. BiggyBoy
Absolute ****in gold, mate.
He’s not guaranteed to leave. If the club does the right things by him there’s every chance he considers Perth home in the future.

Also, as others pointed out, the MCG is only packed for 3-4 clubs and even then it’s not like that every second week. Other stadiums are capable of providing amazing atmospheres as well. When the Eagles are up and about there wouldn’t be many better crowds then theirs.
Yep. MCG is a pile of shit compared to Optus.

West Coast aren't naive. They've been successful in every decade but this one so far.

I think they have a plan and will win games this season enough to convince players to stay. They might swap a pick 4 or 5 for 9 and 10 like Freo and Port did.

I expect them to be very aggressive come trade period and target free agents and players like Georgiades. If they can get another quality mid, 2 more in the draft and some Free agents then they could make finals in 2025 and enough to keep Reid there.

West Coast aren't naive. They've been successful in every decade but this one so far.

I think they have a plan and will win games this season enough to convince players to stay. They might swap a pick 4 or 5 for 9 and 10 like Freo and Port did.

I expect them to be very aggressive come trade period and target free agents and players like Georgiades. If they can get another quality mid, 2 more in the draft and some Free agents then they could make finals in 2025 and enough to keep Reid there.

If swapping pick 4 or 5 nets us a KPD with 9 (who is worth that pick) and a decent mid with 10 we will hopefully do it in a heartbeat.

A lot will depend on how the year plays out for the potential draftees.

Im not greedy.

I would understand Harley heading to Victoria at some point like Judd did at 26.

If we get a flag and Brownlow with him along the journey its all good. He goes back and plays in Vic and likely extends his career at Collingwood or Geelong. Eagles get adequate trade compo and we move on to the next flag tilt.

Id be happy with 6 years of Harely highlights as an Eagles premiership player, Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist.

The team that wants him just needs to draft the next Josh Kennedy in around 4 years time to trade out for him.

Avoid any Facebook posts that even mention Reid... it's all comments like, "Coming to the Pies" and "Coming to the Bombers" mostly
They're all jizzing themselves at the thought of him requesting a trade to their team, without considering they are realistically a 1-in-10 chance(although could probably scrap North/Saints/Richmond as a destination, at this stage), despite history suggesting he remains a one club player.

They're all jizzing themselves at the thought of him requesting a trade to their team, without considering they are realistically a 1-in-10 chance(although could probably scrap North/Saints/Richmond as a destination, at this stage), despite history suggesting he remains a one club player.
Brisbane a good example of a team drafting a bunch of Vic players while at the bottom and building up a culture and they've all stayed together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back